Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3317024 - 08/09/13 09:13 AM Re: Need buying advice for new camera [Re: infoman jr.]
Obsession
4 Point

Loc: Lebanon, Tn

I have 4 Truth Cam 35's and they are great. I have bought all mine for no more tham $80.00. Check online(Upland Gifts). They have great battery life and work well over a mineral or bait site. They are not the best over food plots and work best in well lit areas. I also have a couple $200.00 Moultries and I have the most problems out of them. I think you should expect to have trail cam issues at some point. I have had great interactions with Primos and not so much with Moultrie. Just my oppinion.
#3317076 - 08/09/13 09:52 AM Re: Need buying advice for new camera [Re: Kirk]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Kirk
WGI refused to honor their 1 year warranty on the cameras. You have to register your camera with them when purchased to qualify for the warranty and the start of the active warranty period is the date of actual manufacture not the date of purchase. I will never purchase anything made by Wildgame Innovations again.

Kirk, I had a somewhat similar warranty experience with Bushnell. Don't think the warranty began before the date of purchase, but I had purchased this particular Bushnell at Bass Pro in Nashville, paying cash, not keeping up with the receipt, and not taking the time to register the cam. Even though it was pretty obvious the cam had been a recent purchase (based on the model # of the cam), Bushnell wouldn't cover it under warranty. While I can understand Bushnell's policy, the experience certainly soured me on Bushnell's, more because of the high failure rate of that particular Bushnell cam, as Bushnell should have simply been replacing all of them, no questions asked.

Regarding honoring warranties, I had a fairly good experience with Uway, at least all I had to do was pay the postage to send back the failed units, which they would replace with a new unit within a couple weeks. But when every replacement also failed, I finally just got tired of wasting my time getting them replaced. My conclusion is if we purchase any brand made in China, good chance it's going to stop working soon after purchase, or about the time the warranty ends, although some can be lucky in having a particular Chinese cam work for years.

My advice on buying a trail cam is not to just focus on the initial cost, but also focus on how much you value your personal time, how much you value reliability, and how much you value longevity (lasting value) of the cam purchased.

Among the lower cost cams, I've heard "less bad" about the Covert brand (which is not as widely marketed by the big places such as Bass Pro & Cabela's). A friend recently talked me into at least trying one of the Covert's. At least it wasn't a DOA like so many others I've attempted to try. It appeared to be working, but my experience with it is limited to simply verifying it worked out of the box, and placing it over a salt lick a couple weeks ago. I'll check it soon, just don't like to visit the sites very often. If you consider the Covert brand, one appeal, at least to me, is it's a Kentucky company (even though the cams are made in China). I purchased mine online from Wing Supply in KY.

#3317109 - 08/09/13 10:41 AM Re: Need buying advice for new camera [Re: infoman jr.]
CountryBoy053
8 Point

Loc: Blount Co., TN

Originally Posted By: infoman jr.
 Originally Posted By: CountryBoy053
 Originally Posted By: wompuscat
Stay away from anything Wildgame Innovations.

I love my wildgame innovations. I bought it almost 2 months ago. And put it uo 2 weeks later since then I've gotten well over 1000 pics. With maybe 10 total white out pics. And hasn't used any battery.

Please update your camera status in 20,000 more pictures.

Just for you. Will do. Honestly I'd be happy with getting 5-10 thousand pics off it. I paid 40 dollars for brand new in package with 8gb card and batteries

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice

#3317750 - 08/09/13 10:21 PM Re: Need buying advice for new camera [Re: CountryBoy053]
darn2ten
8 Point

Loc: lincoln co. tn.

Check out the new Browning Range Ops. Go to trailcampro.com and read the review. I don't have one, but thinking real hard about getting one. I think they are $119 or $129 and if you buy it from them they give you a free 2 year extended warranty.
#3318331 - 08/10/13 04:12 PM Re: Need buying advice for new camera [Re: darn2ten]
Jake47
Spike

Loc: Brentwood

For the price, I am pretty happy with my Moultrie M-100. I have taken probably 10,000+ pics with it over the last 3 years. Some of the night motion pictures could be more clear, but when I don't set it to take multiple pictures at a time they are generally pretty good.

Personally, I would much rather have 3 mid-range cams for the price of one upper echelon camera. I love to cover as much ground as I can with cameras so I would sacrifice a little quality for quantity of coverage.

#3318809 - 08/11/13 01:14 AM Re: Need buying advice for new camera [Re: infoman jr.]
Arkboy
8 Point

Loc: Collierville, Tn

Originally Posted By: infoman jr.
 Originally Posted By: wompuscat
Stay away from anything Wildgame Innovations.

I'm just going to emphasize this statement.

X2!!!!!!

#3318934 - 08/11/13 08:41 AM Re: Need buying advice for new camera [Re: darn2ten]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: darn2ten
Check out the new Browning Range Ops.

I agree, the initial feedback makes this one look promising.
But I now have an aversion to ANY new brand entries. They may need a couple years to work out quality control issues. A replacement warranty can be nice on one hand, total pain on the other, as you're missing the use of the cam, even more when the replacement(s) also fail or soon quit working.

Initially, Bushnell SOUNDED good, and then LEUPOLD "sounded" even better. Now Browning enters the pictures, and they also sound good. The list goes on for many other lesser known names, with quality control commonly being a bigger problem with newer "brands", which Browning is, regarding the trail cam business. I like Browning guns, and love Leupold scopes, but may be a while before I take another look at either of their trail cams.

And I have no faith in TraiCamPro's reviews.
With a grain of salt, the http://www.chasingame.com reviews can be worth a look.
IMO, better reviews come from a large number of user's "feedback", such as from those who have used a particular cam for over a year, which are not initially available.

#3318935 - 08/11/13 08:43 AM Re: Need buying advice for new camera [Re: infoman jr.]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

tasco- tough, simple, cheap

#3318971 - 08/11/13 09:13 AM Re: Need buying advice for new camera [Re: redblood]
FIREMANJIM
6 Point

Loc: DECHERD, TN

TrailCamPro sales cameras. Surely everyone is smart enough to know their reviews are crap. Only put faith in rivews from folks who don't sell cameras like Chasingame.com. Wes is correct about all this.

#3318982 - 08/11/13 09:22 AM Re: Need buying advice for new camera [Re: FIREMANJIM]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

You can't beat a dlc covert black 60 and its only $139 otd from custom1enterprise

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Big H Dawg fan, kentuckylakebuck) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.