Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3313215 - 08/06/13 07:21 AM Weekend's Charcuterie Exploits
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Despite my massive failure with cooking a Venison neck buried in the fire, I was able to actually make some food. BuckWild's freezer died last week, leaving him with some thawed meat. I happened to have a new, vertical sausage stuffer, a selection of casings, and curing salts, so I chipped away at the Charcuterie bucket list:

Mixer, Grinder, Stuffer ready for work.

First up, Venison Bresaola. By "definition", it is a air-dried, salted beef that has been aged two or three months until it becomes hard and turns a dark red, almost purple colour. It is made from top (inside) round, and is lean and tender, with a sweet, musty smell. It originated in Valtellina, a valley in the Alps of northern Italy's Lombardy region.

I did this with Venison. It is a simple process. You rub Backstraps with a mixture of curing salt, sea salt, black pepper, cloves, brown sugar and garlic, put them in the fridge for a week in a airtight bag, flip once a day and then dry cure them for 5-7 weeks.

Summer sausages. I have done these before, but am getting better at it. I do them in a traditional manner where they ferment for 12 hours at 105 degrees, then bring them temp up to a cold smoke at 135, then 165, then up to 200 until they hit a internal temp of 150, in which case they are dunked in ice water to stop the process. Fully cured in this manner, you get a long shelf life. Most of the hunter's "kits" have a expedited process where the meat is not fully cured.

Venison Pepperonis came out great and were a relatively simple process. I made a paste out of milk and spice which give it that recognizable coloring. I let these cure overnight in their casings and then smoked them at 135 for 3 hours then 200 until internal temp was reached, then, again, in the ice bath.

I recently got a hold of Michael Ruhlman's new book "Salami" and knew I had to try this recipe with Venison. There were multiple steps in this process over 3 days. I ground the venison mixed in the cure and let it sit overnight. The next day, the fat was mixed in and then I stuffed the casing and allowed it to hang overnight and cure. Then it was cold smoked for 2 hours, then hot smoked until internal temp hit 150, dunked in a ice bath and then hung to dry.

After 2 days of hanging, I was too anxious to see what was going on and cut the Salami in half. It came out well, but maybe a tad under salted, which is surprising because I weighed all of the ingredients exactly. I'm fairly certain that I can perfect this process, just need a little more experience with it.

Last were these traditional dry cured sausages, requiring just a handful of ingredients. The pork fatback was diced and then mixed in (no grinding the fat). These were hung up in BuckWild's cellar to dry cure for 5-7 weeks. We'll see what happens.

If the basement environment proves effective as a curing chamber, we're going to try curing the Salamis down there as well a whole Venison leg.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3316767 - 08/09/13 12:53 AM Re: Weekend's Charcuterie Exploits [Re: Poser]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

How did I miss this thread? Great stuff!(no punn intended) \:\)

I have been wanting to try curing and dry aging meat for a while now.

#3316955 - 08/09/13 08:27 AM Re: Weekend's Charcuterie Exploits [Re: BamaProud]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BamaProud
How did I miss this thread? Great stuff!(no punn intended) \:\)

I have been wanting to try curing and dry aging meat for a while now.

Thanks. I posted up the recipe for Venison Pepperoni here: http://gocarnivore.com/2013/08/07/venison-pepperoni/

#3317624 - 08/09/13 08:30 PM Re: Weekend's Charcuterie Exploits [Re: Poser]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Man you're killing me. \:D

Looks amazing.

#3319126 - 08/11/13 12:30 PM Re: Weekend's Charcuterie Exploits [Re: RUGER]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Bresaola update: after 7 days of curing in a vacuum sealed bag, I washed the cure off, patted dry and allowed to sit out at room temperature for 3 hours. I then tied then up and hung them in the fridge on the highest setting with a fan blowing air across the meat. Well check back in 5-7 weeks.

#3320099 - 08/12/13 10:24 AM Re: Weekend's Charcuterie Exploits [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I decided to try aging the Bresaola in my secondary fridge, so I put it on its lowest setting and installed a fan to get proper airflow:

As a result of the airflow, the Summer sausages, Pepperoni and Salami that were hanging dried out some more and formed a excellent bark and texture. -had a couple of friends over last night and put together a plate. The difference between the sausages that have hung with the fan blowing is incredible.

#3320671 - 08/12/13 07:23 PM Re: Weekend's Charcuterie Exploits [Re: Poser]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

That is unreal, what a visual difference, just didn't think that would be the result. Taste was noticeably better? No different?
#3320809 - 08/12/13 08:45 PM Re: Weekend's Charcuterie Exploits [Re: DaveB]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: DaveB
That is unreal, what a visual difference, just didn't think that would be the result. Taste was noticeably better? No different?

Taste was very improved -more complex flavors and overtones. I'm going to try round two with the smoked Venison Salami this weekend and try letting it hang for a couple of weeks in those same conditions after smoking.

Even though the fridge if colder than ideal temps, I think this may work out well -just going to slow the curing process down a bit.

#3321292 - 08/13/13 09:44 AM Re: Weekend's Charcuterie Exploits [Re: Poser]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Amazing what a little air flow will do. That looks very good Poser.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (alwaysoutdoors, peleejosh) and 88 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.