Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3309785 - 08/02/13 12:14 PM Green Bean Canning in the Oven
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

Green beans are coming in right now, and we have put up 23 cans so far. If you have never used the oven to can them, it is the way to go. Mom and Dad started doing it like this several years ago and now have everyone in the family doing it this way plus several others in the area. It is much easier than dealing with a pressure cooker.

If you have never done it, it is easy. Here is how we do it (detailed step by step in case you have never canned any):

- Of course pick, break, and wash your beans good.

- Place in a large pot or cooker on the stove. Bring to a boil and let them boil for 10-15 mins so that they change colors. Mom always called this blanching them. Watch them closely so that they don't boil over.

- While they are boiling, place a teaspoon of canning salt in the bottom of each jar.

- Right before they are done, put your rings and lids in a small pan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. You want them to start boiling about the time that they bean are ready and then turn them off.

- We always then remove the pot of beans and place the entire pot in the sink. DO NOT drain the water off as you need this for canning.

- On the other side of the sink, we put a glass plate to cover the drain and then start filling each can.

- To fill the can, we will place a large spoon full of beans in the bottom and then take a dip with a cup, measuring cup, etc that will have beans and enough water to fill the can about half way at the time. We then use a small wooden "tamper" (something my grandpa made my mom years ago) to tamp the beans in the can. This is basically stuffing them in so that you can get more in the can. You will then start adding spoon fulls and tamping until the can is full.

- Make sure that there is enough water to cover the beans at the top. If not, remove a few beans and add water. If too much water, remove water and add beans.

- Take a ring and lid out of the water, and tighten snug but not super tight.

- Then start placing rows of cans in the oven. Space them so that they don't touch the walls or each other. You can get 15 - 20 cans in the oven depening on what size.

- When done putting in the oven, turn the oven to 225 and set your timer for three hours. After three hours, turn the oven off, but DO NOT OPEN it. If you open it then, the cool air will explode the cans (ask my uncle \:\) ). Wait 7 to 8 hours before opening and removing. They should be sealed by then.

Short version: You basically follow the same routine as pressure cooking them, but you use the oven instead. Basically, fill the cans, fill the oven up with cans, turn to 225 for three hours, and then wait 7 to 8 hours before removing.

We usually put them in so that we turn the oven off right at bed time. Then either remove the next morning or evening.

Edited by TN Larry (08/02/13 12:15 PM)

#3309900 - 08/02/13 02:49 PM Re: Green Bean Canning in the Oven [Re: TN Larry]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

I doubt that you will have any food technicians tell you that method is safe. For one, ovens are terribly inaccurate at holding temperatures that low so most likely the temperature is fluctuating at least 10-15 degrees if not more during the 3 hours. I'm sure that probably 999 times out of 1000 you won't have botulism contamination, but it only takes one contaminated can to sicken or kill someone.

I'll stick with my pressure canner. Once my beans are snapped and washed, I can fill and cold pack process 14 quarts of green beans (which is one batch in my canner) from start to finish in a little less than two hours, and I am confident that the final product is safe.

#3311230 - 08/04/13 07:20 AM Re: Green Bean Canning in the Oven [Re: woodchuckc]
medic
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

My grandmother canned every summer that I can remember and she never used a pressure cooker or canner.

#3312434 - 08/05/13 11:12 AM Re: Green Bean Canning in the Oven [Re: medic]
redlegs07
4 Point

Loc: Mt. Juliet, TN

Mine used a pres canner. My Granny also canned for 70 years and knew probably pretty much everything there is to know about canning? I don't, so personally I have to do it by the book.

I think it's like wearing your seatbelt. Most times you won't die. Hell it's probably much safer nowadays to can using whatever method you want. There's medical care everywhere. When's the last time you heard of someone with botulism from home canning?

Either way if someone got botulism from bad canning and got sick it'd be blamed on whatever was bought at the store or taco bell anyway.

Downside is ya buy a pres canner you'll be targeted and tracked as a terrorist. Then at some point the .gov will target you because you produce your own food. So you may be better off to skip it if you have to buy a p canner lol. Also the gubment is the one that claims the use of a p canner. Who trusts that they have your best interest in mind?

On that the oven sounds great. (Although i'll stick to my way). And one things for sure, by God everyone has their own way of canning. No matter what's stated someone will claim its wrong.

#3312577 - 08/05/13 02:35 PM Re: Green Bean Canning in the Oven [Re: redlegs07]
medic
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

Originally Posted By: redlegs07

On that the oven sounds great. (Although i'll stick to my way). And one things for sure, by God everyone has their own way of canning. No matter what's stated someone will claim its wrong.

Isn't that the truth. I googled the oven method and it was a mixed bag on good or not. I use the boiling water method right or wrong.

#3312688 - 08/05/13 04:32 PM Re: Green Bean Canning in the Oven [Re: medic]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

My parents have canned 34 quarts so far this year. That was from going out and picking beans two times.

Chow chow will happen this weekend or next.

#3313584 - 08/06/13 01:20 PM Re: Green Bean Canning in the Oven [Re: jb3]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

To each their own as stated above. I have researched the botulism as well. It actually states that pressure canning isn't 100% safe as they are required to reach 250 to kill it and on average the pressure canning only reaches 240. It does say that boiling for 20 minutes while cooking the beans should kill it as well. Ours boil at least 20 minutes prior to canning and we pressure cooks ours for 20 minutes to cook them. I did tweak a little bit on the last batch and set the oven at 250 instead of 225.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  gtk, TeamTndeer, Cuttin Caller, Unicam, RUGER, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (TennTurkeyHunter) and 44 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.