Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3310854 - 08/03/13 05:17 PM I need a new archery guy
Master Chief
8 Point

Loc: Henderson County

I can see my HIDDEN inserts. Anyone in the archery business should know what a H.I.T insert is and how to apply them. Can they be taken out?

These are Easton ST Axis FMJ N-Fused arrows.. just the cheapos

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3311116 - 08/03/13 09:46 PM Re: I need a new archery guy [Re: Master Chief]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Wah wah wah (cartoon trumpet sound)

Edited by UTGrad (08/03/13 09:47 PM)

#3311127 - 08/03/13 10:14 PM Re: I need a new archery guy [Re: UTGrad]
Master Chief
8 Point

Anyone ever try to remove a HIT insert with Easton epoxy? From what I read on the net you can't.

#3311136 - 08/03/13 10:27 PM Re: I need a new archery guy [Re: Master Chief]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

call matt eddie energy wave bowstrings. he should know or tndeerguy should know.

Edited by deerhunter10 (08/03/13 10:28 PM)

#3311175 - 08/04/13 12:15 AM Re: I need a new archery guy [Re: deerhunter10]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

They can be taken out, but it can be a pain and sometimes it is inevitable that you may damage the shaft beyond repair. If a shop did this, I would take it back to them before you run the risk of damaging a $10 arrow.

However, here are things that I know you can try, listed in order of not damaging the shaft.

1. Take nock out and put a drill bit in the shaft and "swing" the shaft letting the drill bit punch the insert out. Be careful though because sometimes when the insert comes out, the drill bit will be flying out with it.

2. Heat a pot of water to just about boiling and place the point end of shaft, with field point screwed in, in the water for about 10-15 minutes. Take shaft out and with a pair of pliers start working the point/insert outóit may take several times.

These next ones are a complete gamble and run a very high risk of damaging the shaft.

3. Take a drill bit and drill out the insert inside the shaftóbe very careful not to contact the shaft.

4. This will almost always get the insert out, but at least 50% of the time will damage the shaft! Screw field point into the insert and with a propane torch heat the end of the point slowly for 10-15 seconds, the heat will transfer down to the aluminum insert and will heat/loosen the epoxy. After 10-15 seconds, take pliers to the point and try to work insert outórepeat process until the insert breaks free. **Caution** Carbon does not like a lot of heat, really doesn't like any, so even if you get the insert out carefully inspect the end of the shaft for small hairline cracks.

There maybe other ideas out there, but these have worked for me over the years.

#3311180 - 08/04/13 12:34 AM Re: I need a new archery guy [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Master Chief
8 Point

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy
They can be taken out, but it can be a pain and sometimes it is inevitable that you may damage the shaft beyond repair. If a shop did this, I would take it back to them before you run the risk of damaging a $10 arrow.

However, here are things that I know you can try, listed in order of not damaging the shaft.

1. Take nock out and put a drill bit in the shaft and "swing" the shaft letting the drill bit punch the insert out. Be careful though because sometimes when the insert comes out, the drill bit will be flying out with it.

2. Heat a pot of water to just about boiling and place the point end of shaft, with field point screwed in, in the water for about 10-15 minutes. Take shaft out and with a pair of pliers start working the point/insert outóit may take several times.

These next ones are a complete gamble and run a very high risk of damaging the shaft.

3. Take a drill bit and drill out the insert inside the shaftóbe very careful not to contact the shaft.

4. This will almost always get the insert out, but at least 50% of the time will damage the shaft! Screw field point into the insert and with a propane torch heat the end of the point slowly for 10-15 seconds, the heat will transfer down to the aluminum insert and will heat/loosen the epoxy. After 10-15 seconds, take pliers to the point and try to work insert outórepeat process until the insert breaks free. **Caution** Carbon does not like a lot of heat, really doesn't like any, so even if you get the insert out carefully inspect the end of the shaft for small hairline cracks.

I will take them back and see what they can do. They dont carry the axis arrows but he will be ordering a set if he even slightly damages them

#3311181 - 08/04/13 12:35 AM Re: I need a new archery guy [Re: Master Chief]
Master Chief
8 Point

Happy bday btw and thanks for the help

#3311281 - 08/04/13 08:34 AM Re: I need a new archery guy [Re: Master Chief]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
 Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy

I will take them back and see what they can do. They dont carry the axis arrows but he will be ordering a set if he even slightly damages them

He already damaged them imo. He needs to make it right

#3311296 - 08/04/13 08:51 AM Re: I need a new archery guy [Re: ImThere]
hoyt30
4 Point

Loc: east middle tn

I shoot the axis st with h i t. If the arrows were mine they would be replacing them. Be very careful with that carbon. I was changing broadheads the other day and heard a small pop, that shaft went to the trash. Carbon is very dangerous when broke.
#3311395 - 08/04/13 10:46 AM Re: I need a new archery guy [Re: hoyt30]
fasteddie
4 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

wow. wow. yeah id be taking it back and asking for another dozen

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
81 registered (Hardwoodmaterials, BigPete357, double browtine, 94user, huntintn, TNLynn, 15 invisible) and 120 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85291 Topics
1030864 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 5.308 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.