Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456
Topic Options
#3309483 - 08/02/13 07:09 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: 156p&y]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Hunting prime mature buck (i.e.-does) during "peak rut" times sounds GREAT. I wish we all had property where we could do this.

In the real world of blue collar hunting, and without a family that has the means to own land, this is rarely the case.

And when I say "peak rut" I assume we are all referring the the peak chasing phase when many really old bucks are on their feet cruising.

There are SIX seasoned hunters in our "camp". We have all been at it together for nearly THIRTY years. We all have good friends who hunt and wander into "camp" from time to time who are also seasoned hunters. Together we network our sightings via cell phone and have been doing so since we got cell phones in 1991.
There are upwards of twenty of us (friends) total. Before cell phones it was info exchange in camp, roadside, or via hard line phone.

Collectively we cover States like Ohio, Illinois, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama. All of us make our home in Tennessee. Hamilton County, Sumner County, and Meigs County are our homes.

I have hunted all these states except Ohio.

Almost all of this was Public land hunting that anyone could afford.

In over 3 DECADES of hunting some of the best public land one could hope for, I can count the number of times I have seen "peak rut" behavior on ONE hand. And that is probably one finger better than most of my friends.

I do have contacts who hunt private properties in PRIME areas such as the "Golden Triangle" of Adams, Pike, and Brown county Illinois, who report things a little differently. Like regular sightings of chases during the rut. I also have friends who hunt Rutherford, Sumner, Montgomery, and Wilson who also give similar reports.

The VAST MAJORITY of reports collectively gained throughout the season, year in and year out, are reports of a "trickle" rut.
This term has become synonymous with almost all the areas we hunt, and have hunted.

I do not think there is ANY hunter/biologists who can make many blanket statements, (especially when it comes to the rut) about deer behavior that is applicable for any kind of majority, let alone ALL, hunters in all areas.

Except to say that deer behavior is most definitely AREA SPECIFIC for that particular herd, in that kind of area.

And to learn that behavior, one must spend a bunch of time there.

So unless the author of posted statement has spent time and is talking specifically about the area I am hunting, at least within the same or adjacent County and on similar land, I don't get too excited about what they report.

In other words, when it comes to mature serial buck killing (large antlers included), give me an experienced, skilled hunter, whose main focus is to kill older aged class bucks, who has access to an Alpha soil region on reasonably undisturbed ground, and I will "often" show you a "mature serial buck killer",
or at least a mature buck "sighter".

Take that same hunter and put him on land without alpha soils, on land where deer are HIGHLY pressured, and I will show you a hunter who is rarely as successful. (of course there are exceptions in both cases)

Edited by 102 (08/02/13 12:48 PM)
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3309645 - 08/02/13 09:20 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: 102]
passthrough76
4 Point

Loc: Middle, TN

time + opportunity / persistency = serial big buck killer

#3309708 - 08/02/13 10:25 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: 156p&y]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

For those hunters not fortunate enough to have the hunting time available to be able to hunt particular stand locations only when the wind and other conditions are right, well I guess you just have to do what you have to do and hope for the best. For those that are able to wait for favorable conditions (whether they do or not), then patience is a virtue. The number 1 thing I do on a pre-hunt is to check wind predictions. This advance knowledge of wind direction coupled with a working knowledge of thermals and how each reacts to the immediate terrain features dictates my hunting location. I do this for today's hunt at all times of the day as well as for the next few days. When these predictions are right they can sometimes be the difference between seeing deer traveling where I expect them to or not without being winded by them. This advance knowledge of wind direction can also be useful when scouting during hunting season, finding a new promising area, and picking a stand site to possibly be hunted in the very, very near future.

I agree that there are locations that may strictly be morning stand sites or evening stand sites. This "pre wind" knowledge allows me to be able to make the advance plans for switching from one of these wind friendly huntable areas to another. It may also dictate shifting my stand location (even if only 100 yards) during the same hunt at a certain time of the day.

In my opinion you can really begin "over-thinking" deer hunting. Sometimes that pays off but in all likelihood, when you aren't successful for a period of time or throughout a season you really begin second guessing yourself and that over-thinking turns into under achieving. This can lead to you grasping at straws and you begin doubting everything you think you know. (How's that for over-thinking over-thinking)? Still, you can't omit certain aspects of hunting, and with all other things basically done correctly, wind direction should be a hunter's primary concern.

#3309977 - 08/02/13 04:02 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: 102]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Originally Posted By: 102
Hunting prime mature buck (i.e.-does) during "peak rut" times sounds GREAT. I wish we all had property where we could do this.

In the real world of blue collar hunting, and without a family that has the means to own land, this is rarely the case.

And when I say "peak rut" I assume we are all referring the the peak chasing phase when many really old bucks are on their feet cruising.

There are SIX seasoned hunters in our "camp". We have all been at it together for nearly THIRTY years. We all have good friends who hunt and wander into "camp" from time to time who are also seasoned hunters. Together we network our sightings via cell phone and have been doing so since we got cell phones in 1991.
There are upwards of twenty of us (friends) total. Before cell phones it was info exchange in camp, roadside, or via hard line phone.

Collectively we cover States like Ohio, Illinois, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama. All of us make our home in Tennessee. Hamilton County, Sumner County, and Meigs County are our homes.

I have hunted all these states except Ohio.

Almost all of this was Public land hunting that anyone could afford.

In over 3 DECADES of hunting some of the best public land one could hope for, I can count the number of times I have seen "peak rut" behavior on ONE hand. And that is probably one finger better than most of my friends.

I do have contacts who hunt private properties in PRIME areas such as the "Golden Triangle" of Adams, Pike, and Brown county Illinois, who report things a little differently. Like regular sightings of chases during the rut. I also have friends who hunt Rutherford, Sumner, Montgomery, and Wilson who also give similar reports.

The VAST MAJORITY of reports collectively gained throughout the season, year in and year out, are reports of a "trickle" rut.
This term has become synonymous with almost all the areas we hunt, and have hunted.

I do not think there is ANY hunter/biologists who can make many blanket statements, (especially when it comes to the rut) about deer behavior that is applicable for any kind of majority, let alone ALL, hunters in all areas.

Except to say that deer behavior is most definitely AREA SPECIFIC for that particular herd, in that kind of area.

And to learn that behavior, one must spend a bunch of time there.

So unless the author of posted statement has spent time and is talking specifically about the area I am hunting, at least within the same or adjacent County and on similar land, I don't get too excited about what they report.

In other words, when it comes to mature serial buck killing (large antlers included), give me an experienced, skilled hunter, whose main focus is to kill older aged class bucks, who has access to an Alpha soil region on reasonably undisturbed ground, and I will "often" show you a "mature serial buck killer",
or at least a mature buck "sighter".

Take that same hunter and put him on land without alpha soils, on land where deer are HIGHLY pressured, and I will show you a hunter who is rarely as successful. (of course there are exceptions in both cases)

Great post. I will add it seems that in Rutherford county that neighboring farms can have different ruts IF they even have one. Amazing how the guys who hunt only 1 mile as the crow flies see completely different activity than we do.

Also I still wonder if the absence of a rut has anything to do with way too many does. I have been asked to cull does on large fenced areas. One was right after the fence was erected. First 2 years, rarely saw a buck and definitely no good bucks (I saw one good one, a giant but that was it). We only killed mature does, meaning look for a family group and shoot the "momma". Zero bucks were killed (3 or 4 button bucks, I did not kill any but there were a few killed), happens when trying to kill over 100 does in a season, large group of hunters and it took a while. The second year, no bucks killed, zero, and saw several bucks and several in the 150 class. After that, with doe control, you could literally hit 2 hard pieces of wood together and you better get ready because a buck or bucks were going to show quickly. Only during a couple weeks period though. After that the bucks became just like bucks anywhere else and seemed hard to see. I never killed a buck and never wanted to. This landowner was getting way more than I could afford to pay and I enjoy killing does as much, if not more than I do killing a buck. I watched many bucks in 150 and better bucks while culling does and it was cool. Never was even a thought to shoot a buck though.

That is one reason I have always supported Tennesee's doe limits.
I always wonder if it would help if there were fewer does.

Edited by Headhunter (08/02/13 04:06 PM)

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
130 registered (THEdonkey0515, Sting, rem.30-06, tickweed, 1 good shot, Puddleduck, 11 invisible) and 167 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95980 Topics
1123942 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.