Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3307612 - 07/31/13 11:41 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: bowriter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Most stands are not all day stands even though a hunter may think so. Most are morning/evening or morning or evening. A few, if you have done your homework are midday stands. Therefore, you can see the advisability of hunting the stand at the optimum time.

If you sit in a stand all day, your scent covers the area and every hour you remain, the more your chances go down. Of course, there are exceptions and even more so when gun hunting.

IMO, during the rut peak, a lot more stand locations become "all day" stands. And it you seek to hunt all day stand locations (even outside the rut peak), I believe you will generally increase your odds at mature bucks.

Not saying Bowriter's statements aren't often true, just that the value of an all-day sit is being understated, imo. One of the "tricks" to minimizing the scent issue is to hunt higher and/or a little further distance from where the deer should normally come by (that's why Bowriter referenced more exceptions when gun hunting).

To find the ideal balance, I often hunt a stand spot until 12:30 pm or 1:00 pm, then use approximately an hour or so to relocate to what I believe to be a better late evening location. However, outside the rut, most of the all-day stand spots are usually in the edge of bedding areas, and any coming & going outside the cover of darkness can do more harm than good. For whatever reasons, deer are less disturbed by human noise and movement when it's dark.

#3307613 - 07/31/13 11:44 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Most stands are not all day stands even though a hunter may think so. Most are morning/evening or morning or evening. A few, if you have done your homework are midday stands. Therefore, you can see the advisability of hunting the stand at the optimum time.

If you sit in a stand all day, your scent covers the area and every hour you remain, the more your chances go down. Of course, there are exceptions and even more so when gun hunting.

IMO, during the rut peak, a lot more stand locations become "all day" stands. And it you seek to hunt all day stand locations (even outside the rut peak), I believe you will generally increase your odds at mature bucks.

Not saying Bowriter's statements aren't often true, just that the value of an all-day sit is being understated, imo. One of the "tricks" to minimizing the scent issue is to hunt higher and/or a little further distance from where the deer should normally come by (that's why Bowriter referenced more exceptions when gun hunting).

To find the ideal balance, I often hunt a stand spot until 12:30 pm or 1:00 pm, then use approximately an hour or so to relocate to what I believe to be a better late evening location. However, outside the rut, most of the all-day stand spots are usually in the edge of bedding areas, and any coming & going outside the cover of darkness can do more harm than good. For whatever reasons, deer are less disturbed by human noise and movement when it's dark.

I agree with Wes. Plus, getting down and moving from one stand to the next spreads scent around, so instead of having one stand contaminated with scent, you have 3.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3307623 - 07/31/13 12:04 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: bowriter]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I guess I just need to figure out a little more on when is the best time to hunt my stands.It is hard for me to figure that out because it is in east tn and I can't go out there as often as I would like. So, I can't run my cams like I want to and can't put in the work I need to, to be able to figure out when and where they are going. I know the place I am wanting to hunt has deer, it has probably 50+ rubs in the area half the size of a football field. I just haven't got it figured out like I need to and I don't want to booger the area

#3307637 - 07/31/13 12:27 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I think that's very location specific.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3307653 - 07/31/13 12:44 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

I speak in generalities, but MOST stand locations become good all-day spots during the peak of the rut.

I also know that many deer decide to move in mid-morning, noonish, and mid-afternoon because they were "disturbed" by another hunter who didn't stay put. Or in some cases, had become aware of a particular hunter's routine of leaving, say at 10:00 am, then felt safe to move around a bit during mid-day.

#3307888 - 07/31/13 04:06 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Wes Parrish]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I am a proponent of hunting all day, just not from the same stand. I no longer do it for two reasons...Make that three.

1-As a genral rule, I don't have to.
2-I no longer care if I kill anything or not.
3-I no longer wnat to.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3307903 - 07/31/13 04:20 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

At the same time, there are definitely people who serially kill mature bucks out from under the noses of other hunters -either on public land or clubs shared with other hunters. They serially kill bucks of a caliber that most area hunters consider "impossible" for the area. Sure, most experienced hunters can kill mature bucks serially on managed properties, but to do that on a consistent basis where everyone else fails (fails to even know these bucks exists) is what is impressive to me. My understanding of the article was that these are the types of hunters we are profiling.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3307904 - 07/31/13 04:21 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

I speak in generalities, but MOST stand locations become good all-day spots during the peak of the rut.

Again, depends on the property. I've seen properties where mature bucks WILL move in mid-day, especially around the rut and under early and late hunting pressure. And then I've seen properties where they never move mid-day, under any circumstances.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3307924 - 07/31/13 04:41 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

In the Midwest where most bucks get a lot of pressure, one prime tactic often overlooked is late season hunting from 11 a.m. till about two p.m. I have done quite well hunting travel trails in December doing this. One of my prime spots was a narrow ridge between two picked cornfields. It was thickly wooded and gnarly to walk through but I had two great stands that were only hunted late season and midday. Both produced well.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3309398 - 08/02/13 01:48 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: bowriter]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

In the Midwest where most bucks get a lot of pressure, one prime tactic often overlooked is late season hunting from 11 a.m. till about two p.m. I have done quite well hunting travel trails in December doing this. One of my prime spots was a narrow ridge between two picked cornfields. It was thickly wooded and gnarly to walk through but I had two great stands that were only hunted late season and midday. Both produced well.

That is one of the best tactics ever. If can't kill the deer I'm after before or during the chase phase I just let him go. One thing I have noticed is that after the rut and in the December months the deer will behave almost like summer, all you have to do is find the food source and the bedding area. And just wait for the right wind and weather pattern, and only hunt him during these times.

The absolute worst thing you can do is hunt every opportunity you get, only because it is not going to be the best in most cases.

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (stylishblueticks, Paul Burns, redblood, pledbetter, Stk_Um_N_The_Vitals, Vince) and 61 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99608 Topics
1171908 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.