Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3307894 - 07/31/13 04:11 PM Santa Maria Valley, CA -Barbecue region?
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Though, I have never heard about this, apparently, the Santa Maria area of CA has a longstanding, 150+ year barbecue tradition where they smoke meat over California Redwood. Anybody been to any of these places?

http://santamariavalleybbq.com/2013/07/30/sunsets-santa-maria-bbq-map/

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3307918 - 07/31/13 04:35 PM Re: Santa Maria Valley, CA -Barbecue region? [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

I've got a buddy that lived in Morro Bay for a while. He just moved back up there from LA and is now in Atascadero. I'll axe him how hip to CA BBQ he is.

#3309032 - 08/01/13 04:26 PM Re: Santa Maria Valley, CA -Barbecue region? [Re: TAFKAP]
TAFKAP
14 Point

According to my buddy, "Santa Maria style" is nearly 100% beef. Most of that is a tri-tip roast. Salt, pepper, and some garlic are the main seasonings, and the meat is roasted over the flames of red oak. The temperature is in the neighborhood of 250, and they control that by raising & lowering the rack upon which the roasts are skewered.

#3309095 - 08/01/13 05:33 PM Re: Santa Maria Valley, CA -Barbecue region? [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
According to my buddy, "Santa Maria style" is nearly 100% beef. Most of that is a tri-tip roast. Salt, pepper, and some garlic are the main seasonings, and the meat is roasted over the flames of red oak. The temperature is in the neighborhood of 250, and they control that by raising & lowering the rack upon which the roasts are skewered.

So, its cowboy cookin' BBQ? That area used to be big in the cattle trade, so that makes sense.

#3309135 - 08/01/13 06:41 PM Re: Santa Maria Valley, CA -Barbecue region? [Re: Poser]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

IMO barbeque is as much about the sauce and rub as it is about the cooking method. Low and Slow has to be the cooking method...but a sauce and rub are also essential. Cooking skewered meat (or even skewered/rubbed meat) is just grilling.

#3309169 - 08/01/13 07:39 PM Re: Santa Maria Valley, CA -Barbecue region? [Re: BamaProud]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BamaProud
IMO barbeque is as much about the sauce and rub as it is about the cooking method. Low and Slow has to be the cooking method...but a sauce and rub are also essential. Cooking skewered meat (or even skewered/rubbed meat) is just grilling.

Yes, obviously, they are not smoking it, which, I would agree, is not the definition of barbecue. However, I would disagree about the sauce and rubs being as important. "Barbecue" is a cooking technique. Great barbecue is more than capable of standing alone. Sauce and rubs are just there to contribute a bit of enhancement. Great pitmasters focus on the smoking process, not the enhancements.

#3309274 - 08/01/13 09:28 PM Re: Santa Maria Valley, CA -Barbecue region? [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser

So, its cowboy cookin' BBQ? That area used to be big in the cattle trade, so that makes sense.

Yes, that's what he called it.

And according to my buddy, their cows look like show cattle, not those little "rangy" ones they breed up in Texas. \:D

#3309275 - 08/01/13 09:30 PM Re: Santa Maria Valley, CA -Barbecue region? [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Yes, obviously, they are not smoking it, which, I would agree, is not the definition of barbecue. However, I would disagree about the sauce and rubs being as important. "Barbecue" is a cooking technique. Great barbecue is more than capable of standing alone. Sauce and rubs are just there to contribute a bit of enhancement. Great pitmasters focus on the smoking process, not the enhancements.

They claim the meat is "smoked" by the open fire. The goal is a flaming fire, so the meat is never "grilled" over smoldering coals. Open flame is key for this stuff.

#3309322 - 08/01/13 10:13 PM Re: Santa Maria Valley, CA -Barbecue region? [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

They claim the meat is "smoked" by the open fire. The goal is a flaming fire, so the meat is never "grilled" over smoldering coals. Open flame is key for this stuff.

I'd call that "roasting."

#3310889 - 08/03/13 06:15 PM Re: Santa Maria Valley, CA -Barbecue region? [Re: Poser]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

BBQ is an endless debate with no clear cut answers or guidelines.

I will grant an exception to the dry BBQ's. It is popular in some areas. *I am not a fan but I know some folks like it. But I still contend a BBQ needs to have smoke(low and slow cooking) and at least one of the other 2 (sauce and/or rub).

*there is a reason most "dry BBQ" places have a sauce as an option \:\)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
83 registered (SES, Vermin93, Buzzard, BigD_625, JRE, DaveB, 8 invisible) and 108 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93171 Topics
1089120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.113 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.