Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3276755 - 06/27/13 08:22 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: TNlandowner]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Originally Posted By: TNlandowner
I have some at 5' and branching out at the top!

Sounds like they are doing great.

#3276778 - 06/27/13 08:56 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: TNlandowner]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Yep...be happy to. It will be a few days before I can get out there and get few photos but will email them to you.

The area we've been working most recently is natural regen and has some gorgeous oaks and poplar (the sawtimber man's dream somewhere down the road). There's simply too many of them and they are at the point where they are "fighting" each other to thrive. Crown's are touching, canopy is closed, and no light hitting the ground so there's very little browse. We've been working through with saws taking out the trash trees (gum, sourwood, cedar, cankered, poor form etc) and doing some crop tree spacing. It's tedious work, but 3 men on saws can move through an area faster than I originally anticipated.

#3278348 - 06/29/13 09:25 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: Boll Weevil]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Loc: Carroll County

Sounds like you have a great project in the works. I look forward to seeing your efforts.

"3 men on saws can move through an area faster than I originally anticipated."

I totally agree, but my back was very sore on many evenings. I didn't treat several of the "weed trees" when cutting them down. Most grew back very quickly. Now I hack & squirt using herbicides. This technique is more time consuming, but effective and actually a little cheaper than running saws.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Isaiah 6:8

#3306290 - 07/30/13 09:27 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: TNlandowner]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Our TSI logging harvest is moving along quickly and we hope to finish before mid August. I'd love to hear suggestions for consideration of other TSI or hunting improvement efforts to help with this effort.

Current work plans are:

1. Create deer movement funnels with unused tree tops
2. Start pond
3. Place tree tops and small burm along the paved road (screening & barrier effort)
4. Plant four food plots in areas opened by loggers
5. Plant pine trees along the road (late fall)
6. Plant 40 Dunstan Chestnut trees in hand picked areas before hard winter (November).
7. Conduct Hack-N-Squirt on a few smaller trees the loggers didn't want.

[email][/email]

#3306402 - 07/30/13 11:20 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: TNlandowner]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Looking good!

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3306551 - 07/30/13 01:08 PM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: Football Hunter]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Coming along nicely for sure!

A few of things we do that's easier to complete right off the bat rather than wait (you may have thought of these already):

1) Put waterbars in the newly created roads or on slopes that might be prone to erode. Once erosion gets started, it takes far more effort to repair. Consider seeding with something that produces lots of seed and it'll often repopulate itself. I've used millet in the past; it's cheap, grows on concrete, makes a ton of seed, and volunteer crops are decent (considering it was just a single planting) until the other stuff fills in.

2) If you have to mulch places, use hay or straw that came from fields with forage beneficial to wildlife rather just wheat straw or fescue...like warm season grasses for example. You might be surprised how much viable seed is in that hay and how well it establishes. I've come back to areas a couple of years later (that I never seeded - only straw) and found bluestem, switchgrass, little wildflowers...al kinds of stuff that likely came solely from the straw used for mulch. You can also usually get old bales for pretty cheap as cattle farmers often just want to get rid of it (sometimes it's even free).

3) Not sure if I sent you pics of this one or not but consider planting native browse forages in some of those areas that you might not want to maintain as a "manicured" food plot. Honeysuckle, blackberry, greenbriar, partridge pea et al. They may take a little while to establish because sometimes stratification must occur for germination to start but one day you'll be walking along and see really good food that wasn't there before. Once it's established, in alot of cases the birds take it from there and year over year it really expands quickly.

Highly desirable food, little cost/time to manage, and it's there for a long time (till the canopy changes for example). I easily invest more time encouraging natural foods vs. plots and as far as I can tell, the benefits are pretty darn good (especially comparing cost to yield).

#3306563 - 07/30/13 01:17 PM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: TNlandowner]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

7. Conduct Hack-N-Squirt on a few smaller trees the loggers didn't want.

Considering how light your timber thinning is, THIS ONE will probably benefit you the most. The more sun on the ground, the more food and cover that will grow (and all free of charge!).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3308327 - 07/31/13 09:56 PM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: BSK]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Thanks for the suggestions, my biggest challenge is being patient for the logger to finish and move along. LOL. Who would have thought we would have this much rain late into July! I sure wish my pond was already constructed and filling up \:D

#3309086 - 08/01/13 05:25 PM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: TNlandowner]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Forgot to mention, some areas are not as pretty as the latest photo's. These photo's are a decent representation of the very light "TSI" select cuts (mostly tie wood from maple and gum trees). I don't expect a lot of thick ground growth, but expect the protected trees to enjoy a little more space and sun. Hopefully this equals better mast crops.

The clear cut areas are very heavily cut with a lot of potential for creating awesome sanctuaries with great food sources over the next few years.

#3309536 - 08/02/13 07:47 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: TNlandowner]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Forgot to mention, some areas are not as pretty as the latest photo's. These photo's are a decent representation of the very light "TSI" select cuts (mostly tie wood from maple and gum trees). I don't expect a lot of thick ground growth, but expect the protected trees to enjoy a little more space and sun. Hopefully this equals better mast crops.

The clear cut areas are very heavily cut with a lot of potential for creating awesome sanctuaries with great food sources over the next few years.

Having the clear-cuts will be a big help. With the light thinning I see in the pictures, don't expect much regrowth in the thinned areas (but if that wasn't the intent, no problems).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
80 registered (BIGORANGE, TIGGREM2, r'ville a-bolt, firedog, dmoser.270, DntBrnDPig, 10 invisible) and 132 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93205 Topics
1088456 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.093 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.