Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3307823 - 07/31/13 03:12 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: de novo]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online
 Originally Posted By: de novo
#3 you are a halfway decent shot - then you too can be a consistent big buck hunter.

If you're deer hunting, you need to be a great shot within your comfort zone. "halfway decent" will not cut it. "Halfway decent" wounds animals.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3308199 - 07/31/13 08:24 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

Opportunity is king. Opportunity is the number one job of the consistent hunter. If a hunter doesn't have access to the deer they're after, it really doesn't matter how they hunt.

When people other than the hunter know of big deer and enjoy the company of the hunter, they tell them and if possible allow them access to the deer.

This is the case in my life. Because of my relationships with others I've even been invited to stay with people who are anti hunters so I can hunt. A guy round here always shoots big bucks, he manages properties that allow him access to the deer. Opportunity!

#3308210 - 07/31/13 08:32 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: -DRM-]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: -DRM-
Access & time - yep, I'd say that condenses it down to pretty much the basics.

yep

#3308267 - 07/31/13 09:05 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: nodog]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

I have hunted the most prime area in TN and killed a mature buck every year with little effort. For goodness sake, I was 15-18 years old. But we got kicked off that lease killing 115-150" deer every year for that 4 years. The lease "managers" wanted money from people that wouldn't hunt much. We hunted consistently and when they saw us driving out of the gate one morning (my dad and I) with a 115" and 150" deer killed 45 minutes apart within 100 yards of each other, they kicked us off. I hunted every weekend and every day I got out of football practice (high school). I killed a number or deer between 120-130" from that place and missed/couldnt find numerous others. From 2002 till this day, I have hunted Hickman county. Not only are there not as big of deer there as there are in Williamson, but these specific deer just don't grow nearly as big of deer, nor the numbers of mature deer. That's unfortunate to me. Personally, I feel I have 3/4 the skill to do that consistently, but I don't have the hunting area, nor the mature buck numbers to do that where I hunt now....Not to mention the time! I work in the corporate world and cant get out when I NEED to. There is nothing I can do about that. That's why in whatever post I stated previously, it is #1 where you hunt, #2 flexibility on time and #3 being there when it matters.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3308297 - 07/31/13 09:26 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Master Chief]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
#3 you are a halfway decent shot - then you too can be a consistent big buck hunter.

If you're deer hunting, you need to be a great shot within your comfort zone. "halfway decent" will not cut it. "Halfway decent" wounds animals.

If you like to think it takes a great shot to hit an animal the size of a calf at 50 yards with a rifle then so be it.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3308317 - 07/31/13 09:45 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: de novo]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online
 Originally Posted By: Master Chief

If you like to think it takes a great shot to hit an animal the size of a calf at 50 yards with a rifle then so be it.

I never said you needed to be a great shot. I said you better be a greet shot in your comfort zone.

If you're a halfway decent shot at 30yrds keep it to 20. If you miss the the region of you're target that is representative of the vitals every one out of ten, you don't need to shoot at an animal at that distance.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3308512 - 08/01/13 07:14 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: de novo]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I sure know a TON of hunters that can't do it WELL consistently.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3308557 - 08/01/13 07:47 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: BSK]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Originally Posted By: BSK

Completely agree BSK. Many people who hunt deer (and many other animals) have no clue about shooting, even at 50 yards. Every season, know or meet someone who has "killed deer at 300, 400, or 500 yards, one guy claims to have killed a doe on the run at 350 yards" but they manage to miss multiple times each season or wound an animal that they hit perfectly that is never found.

Edited by Headhunter (08/01/13 07:48 AM)

#3308624 - 08/01/13 08:40 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Headhunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I agree Headhunter. I know a bunch of true marksmen off a bench that can't hit a live moving deer off-hand to save their lives.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3308767 - 08/01/13 11:07 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: BSK]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

And I know several small kids and wives/girlfriends of hunters who have little practice and have accomplished this feat more than once.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
103 registered (Devin2009, ImThere, downthebrown, JAY B, ADR, mossyhorns300, 9 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91511 Topics
1069853 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.