Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3307305 - 07/31/13 07:35 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

There is no way I am agreeing with Bowriter, but I feel the same way he does about this article.

#3307407 - 07/31/13 09:00 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
I agree with many on here. I will keep this short. The ones that I know that consistently kill mature deer are the ones that 1) hunt where they exist and 2) have the work schedule to hunt when they need to and 3) know the right times to be where they should be at that specific time. If you have and know these 3 things, you will be successful.

That is it. The rest is just recycled pasture designed to hype a book. And JC's #1 is the key. If you live or hunt where big bucks are, killing one does not take all the rest of that crap. All you really need is access and time.

Here is a sterling example. Bobby C. Lives in Chatham, IL. He hunts right behind his house in Sangamon County. His brother-in-law lives in central, IA. Bobby kills a mature buck, scoring over 135 every year in IL (He only bowhunts). About every other year, he kills one, 150 or above in IA. He may hunt six or seven days a year at most. The rest of the time, he is a tournament fisherman. The last time I was in his house, he had 12-mounted heads that all were over 150. I call that consistent. But you should see his fishing trophies.

Okay-I just realized this is tyhe wrong thread and not the one about the bokk. Poser posted that. Just copy and paste this over to that thread. That is what I am going to do.

Edited by bowriter (07/31/13 09:18 AM)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3307444 - 07/31/13 09:26 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Pretty good discussion. There isn't 1 exclusive way to go about it. I don't care what any one says, I don't think time in the woods is as helpful as everyone thinks. If you are doing everything else right, time in the woods could lead to a lucky encounter but luck isn't consistant. Of course luck doesn't hurt but I don't think it is needed.

#3307450 - 07/31/13 09:33 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: MattR]
MattR
8 Point

lol bowriter. That cracked me up, at least you admitted it. Sorry for the misleading title

#3307457 - 07/31/13 09:40 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: MattR]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I am old, Matt, get confused easily.

Time in the woods can often be detrimental to killing a mature buck. If you don't know what you are doing, you can easily screw up an old buck.

Knowing when to hunt a stand is just as important as know where to hang it. A hunter that gets in a stand before daylight and hunts that same stand until dark, quite often ruins that stand. However, hunting two or three stands during that same time period may well payoff. Just as the hunter who goes walking around looking without knowing what he is looking for, often never finds what isn't there.

#3307469 - 07/31/13 09:47 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: bowriter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Just as the hunter who goes walking around looking without knowing what he is looking for, often never finds what isn't there.

Very well said!

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3307480 - 07/31/13 09:57 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Unfortunately, so many will never understand.

Second sentence: If it is not there, you can't find it and if you keep looking for it, it may never be there.

#3307481 - 07/31/13 09:57 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: bowriter]
MattR
8 Point

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
I agree with many on here. I will keep this short. The ones that I know that consistently kill mature deer are the ones that 1) hunt where they exist and 2) have the work schedule to hunt when they need to and 3) know the right times to be where they should be at that specific time. If you have and know these 3 things, you will be successful.

That is it. The rest is just recycled pasture designed to hype a book. And JC's #1 is the key. If you live or hunt where big bucks are, killing one does not take all the rest of that crap. All you really need is access and time.

Here is a sterling example. Bobby C. Lives in Chatham, IL. He hunts right behind his house in Sangamon County. His brother-in-law lives in central, IA. Bobby kills a mature buck, scoring over 135 every year in IL (He only bowhunts). About every other year, he kills one, 150 or above in IA. He may hunt six or seven days a year at most. The rest of the time, he is a tournament fisherman. The last time I was in his house, he had 12-mounted heads that all were over 150. I call that consistent. But you should see his fishing trophies.

Okay-I just realized this is the wrong thread and not the one about the bokk. Poser posted that. Just copy and paste this over to that thread. That is what I am going to do.

Well if you are on a hot bed of mature bucks of course all of that isn't needed. But if your in Tn that likely isn't the case. I'm not saying all of those things the guy listed were something that you "have to have" to kill mature deer but I can understand some of what he was saying.

#3307505 - 07/31/13 10:22 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: bowriter]
MattR
8 Point

A hunter that gets in a stand before daylight and hunts that same stand until dark, quite often ruins that stand. However, hunting two or three stands during that same time period may well payoff.

I would figure that getting down your stand and moving to another location would be too much noise. Can you elaborate on why stayuing longer can ruin a stand? I'm not trying to say your wrong at all, just trying to learn.

#3307534 - 07/31/13 10:39 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: MattR]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I'll try to keep this short. Most stands are not all day stands even though a hunter may think so. Most are morning/evening or morning or evening. A few, if you have done your homework are midday stands. Therefore, you can see the advisability of hunting the stand at the optimum time.

If you sit in a stand all day, your scent covers the area and every hour you remain, the more your chances go down. Of course, there are exceptions and even more so when gun hunting. I have never been in favor of a 4-hour lull in hunting activity. The last time I was in Canada, I refused to hnt the same stand all day even though that is the custom up there. Their reasoning is quite simple. That way, the guides don't have to come get you.

If a deer is not there to hear you, it does not matter how much noise you make getting down. When I was serious about hunting mature bucks, during the rut, I usually hunted three or four stands a day, often, on different properties. It worked well for me.

Second sentence: If it is not there, you can't find it and if you keep looking for it, it may never be there. If a mature buck is not in your hunting area and you keep scouting for him, it is likely he may never be there because you have "boogered" the area. This may be applied in many scenarios.

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
110 registered (Boone 58, excalhunter, Lady's man, FLTENNHUNTER1, Mossy, junebugwapiti, 16 invisible) and 129 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91364 Topics
1068056 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.