Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3305823 - 07/29/13 07:39 PM MAN I MESSED UP
DEER REPELLANT
6 Point

Loc: SODDY DAISY TN

Now this is the very first time i have ever messed up and admitted it . Just joking, but i have an issue with my rookie mistakes. I have never hunted and decided i would because i am tired of begging for meat for my family. My father has 45 acres and is backed by a state park, i am around 200 yards away from it. We have never pressured or hunted here and i have placed some minerals and corn out. My problem is i placed a ladder stand 30 yards from food, i plan on removing all food and blocks 10-14 days before hunting, but i am afraid that i might be set to close to a trail. Here recently the deer have started wearing a path withing ten feet from my stand. Also they are in in early morning, pics and time on camera, and return mid evening. I have another ladder stand and a blind, should i leave the one up and hunt evenings and place the others around the creek and hill overlooking another trail. Or should i stay out of the stand, leave it up and look for somewhere else. I have two good size bucks around but i am just looking for meat. If they come in then ok if not there is around six to eight does around.
#3305836 - 07/29/13 07:51 PM Re: MAN I MESSED UP [Re: DEER REPELLANT]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

depends on what you are hunting with? if you are bow hunting you may want them in close. if you are gun or ML hunting move the stand off that area some and cut some lanes. this way if you booger it a bit it has time to calm down. Also if you can do the work when they are calling for a high percentage of rain that will help wash your scent out of the area.

I would go ahead and set the other stand and ground blind IF you have another area to set them up at. that way you can rotate and not over hunt a particular stand.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3305843 - 07/29/13 07:59 PM Re: MAN I MESSED UP [Re: Bone Collector]
DEER REPELLANT
6 Point

Yea sorry i am bow hunting all season long. I have lanes cleared and have been practicing. I bought some sent lock pants, jacket and 1000 gram boots. I was just worried that i might jump them going in because it looks as if they are bedding over the hill. I just really would like to see them, i am not going to take any shot unless i know i can make it and not wound or make it suffer. I just wanted to get in and enjoy it and not stress if i don't get anything. I am trying to learn and know in time i will be able to gain enough experience for it to pay out on day. BTW love this site.
#3305879 - 07/29/13 08:24 PM Re: MAN I MESSED UP [Re: DEER REPELLANT]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Bow hunting can be very challenging and rewarding. just have fun and learn, don;t worry so much if you actually kill a deer, but if you do great. You'll want to be pretty close, if you are a first year hunter.

FYI you can hunt over certain minerals such as trophy rock.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3305915 - 07/29/13 08:49 PM Re: MAN I MESSED UP [Re: Bone Collector]
DEER REPELLANT
6 Point

Thanks Bone Collector for the advise. I just sold my Excalibur cross bow and got me a Matthews switchback and am very pleased with it. I have some friends that hunt i just cant get them to come help me out, their busy lol.
#3306007 - 07/29/13 10:15 PM Re: MAN I MESSED UP [Re: DEER REPELLANT]
Orion6
8 Point

Loc: Soddy Daisy,TN

Originally Posted By: DEER REPELLANT
Thanks Bone Collector for the advise. I just sold my Excalibur cross bow and got me a Matthews switchback and am very pleased with it. I have some friends that hunt i just cant get them to come help me out, their busy lol.

They won't be so busy when it comes time to hunt. Keep that in mind.

#3306213 - 07/30/13 08:18 AM Re: MAN I MESSED UP [Re: DEER REPELLANT]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

[quote=DEER REPELLANT]I just sold my Excalibur cross bow and got me a Matthews switchback and am very pleased with it.quote]

Very good decision by getting a Mathews.

#3306394 - 07/30/13 11:12 AM Re: MAN I MESSED UP [Re: Orion6]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Orion6
 Originally Posted By: DEER REPELLANT

They won't be so busy when it comes time to hunt. Keep that in mind.
That's a fact there \:\)

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3306399 - 07/30/13 11:18 AM Re: MAN I MESSED UP [Re: REM7]
DEER REPELLANT
6 Point

Orion6 I know but I am inexperienced but determined to just let the chips fall where they land. I always help out everybody, just crappie when i comes time for me to call in the favors everybody has something to do. lol break out the violins, grab some pop corn and enjoy the show.

REM7, the Excalibur was nice but I wanted something more challenging than just point and shoot. Nothing wrong with that but I shot a bowtech assassin and liked the fact that I didn't have to find the rope cocker to shoot again. Tis is why I found a guy that wanted to do some trading.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
two1980, Darrenduhl, 2winsrus, jacmac, Smokeymtnbow
13101 Registered Users
Who's Online
67 registered (Big Pop, scn, stilllookin, Deer Assassin, eyeseeker, Allen Sullivan, 5 invisible) and 109 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13101 Members
42 Forums
88790 Topics
1038727 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.256 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.