Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#3305438 - 07/29/13 01:55 PM Re: Do you shoot "cull bucks"? [Re: CAW]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: CAW
My guess is that majority of "cull bucks" are killed simply because somebody wanted an excuse to pull the trigger.

Bingo. Every dadgum time somebody kills a young buck on our lease and nobody is around to see it ..... guess what, it was a cull buck. The story goes something like this, "It was a big-bodied buck, older deer, scraggly rack, his rack definitely wasn't going to get much bigger."

Amazing how the same SOB that shoots a "cull buck" is the great "cull buck" savior of our lease.

#3305469 - 07/29/13 02:26 PM Re: Do you shoot "cull bucks"? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Outdoor Enthusiast
6 Point

Loc: Carthage, TN

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
But a disturbing TN trend is somewhat just the opposite of taking a true "cull" buck: Purposefully killing off the most outstanding antlered young bucks when they're only 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 yrs of age.

Wes - I've never heard your theory on this. Please elaborate. ;\)

#3305566 - 07/29/13 03:57 PM Re: Do you shoot "cull bucks"? [Re: Hunter 257W]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
 Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: easy45
I shoot any buck that is 4.5 or older, I could care less what his antlers look like

I'm shooting any buck that's 3 1/2, regardless of antlers, and probably shooting a "good" 2 1/2.

Me too, BSK. About the only way I'll ever kill a 4 1/2 yr old is to hit it with my truck and I don't want to tear up my truck!

HA! Love that!

Quote:
I hear what the article is saying about bucks dispersing from their birth place and then roaming again so that you are constantly getting an influx of new genes, but just because you can never totally control the gene pool doesn't mean you aren't having some effect.

But here's the potential flaw in you theory: are you sure the "shape" rack you don't like is actually hereditary on the male line? In essence, is the buck with "unwanted" antler shape passing that down to his sons? Surprisingly, there is very little evidence that is occurring. In fact, the evidence exists that a father buck may be passing little hereditary antler information on to his sons. Hereditary antler characteristics may be passed to a buck almost exclusively from his mother.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3305570 - 07/29/13 04:00 PM Re: Do you shoot "cull bucks"? [Re: BSK]
kldeerkiller
4 Point

Loc: hawkins county

I absolutely can't stand the term "cull buck". It's a excuse for someone to pull the trigger.
#3305577 - 07/29/13 04:04 PM Re: Do you shoot "cull bucks"? [Re: kldeerkiller]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

I would love to get into some of the Mid-West Hunting tracts
were they are killing 140"+ culls on TV......

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3306030 - 07/29/13 10:42 PM Re: Do you shoot "cull bucks"? [Re: KPH]
Snake
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: KPH
I don't cull nothing.

They good too !

#3306181 - 07/30/13 07:48 AM Re: Do you shoot "cull bucks"? [Re: BSK]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
 Originally Posted By: easy45
I shoot any buck that is 4.5 or older, I could care less what his antlers look like

I'm shooting any buck that's 3 1/2, regardless of antlers, and probably shooting a "good" 2 1/2.

Me too, BSK. About the only way I'll ever kill a 4 1/2 yr old is to hit it with my truck and I don't want to tear up my truck!

HA! Love that!

Quote:
I hear what the article is saying about bucks dispersing from their birth place and then roaming again so that you are constantly getting an influx of new genes, but just because you can never totally control the gene pool doesn't mean you aren't having some effect.

But here's the potential flaw in you theory: are you sure the "shape" rack you don't like is actually hereditary on the male line? In essence, is the buck with "unwanted" antler shape passing that down to his sons? Surprisingly, there is very little evidence that is occurring. In fact, the evidence exists that a father buck may be passing little hereditary antler information on to his sons. Hereditary antler characteristics may be passed to a buck almost exclusively from his mother.

Yep, I know you are telling the truth. The doe passes at least half of the traits down to the fawns. And as you say, I've read several studies that suggest the doe has more influence on antlers of her offspring than the buck.

Does this mean we have to shoot all the does with funny looking ears? \:\)

#3306209 - 07/30/13 08:14 AM Re: Do you shoot "cull bucks"? [Re: Hunter 257W]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

I dont shoot small bucks. My small and other people small may be a different size thinking. I shoot what I want, when I feel like it just depends on the day or season Im having. I still dont get why some people hunt for what others think. If you want to kill a 5 point then be proud of it, if you want to shoot all does then by all means do so. If you a big mature buck only guy then post the pics cause we all like BIG antlers.
Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (Brisco Darlin, Southern Sportsman, Pic IN the Casa, Vermin93, tophat, fullstream, 9 invisible) and 108 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85237 Topics
1030084 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.216 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.