Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3306508 - 07/30/13 12:40 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
I think that, if deer hunting is absolutely your number one priority, then you figure it out. Maybe you don't have kids. Maybe you take a job that you are less than qualified for so that you have a flexible schedule. You make sacrifices. -not saying that's the best way to live life or that any one person should be cut out for it, but that's the reality of it. Many people who follow their passions seriously, forego or delay getting married, having kids, having health insurance, owning a house etc.

And there you have it. You make sacrifices. For some, they make extreme sacrifices, but I've seen others be successful without what I would consider extreme sacrifices.

Although some may consider it extreme, before I got married I had a long conversation with my potential wife about just how important deer hunting was to me. I wanted her to understand this was not a pass-time or a hobby that could easily be pushed aside. Deer hunting was a lifestyle I was not going to give up. We talked about how we could live our lives and raise a family around this lifestyle. If she had not been able to understand and accept that about me, I would have never married her.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3306514 - 07/30/13 12:46 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: BSK]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

hunt smarter not harder. if you don't hunt smart and play the wind and understand what deer behavior is it doesn't matter how hard you hunt or how many hours you put in the stand you will not kill the mature deer year after year after year. you may luck up on some but you wont consistently kill them. also your property must hold mature deer and some properties don't. cant kill them if they aren't there.

#3306547 - 07/30/13 01:06 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: deerhunter10]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Let me add something else here, that has little to do with how much time one spends in the woods, but has had a lot to do with my success on taking mature bucks:

NOT hunting the best "sign".

What?

You see, like most, we are sharing the woods with other hunters, most of whom also notice the best big buck "sign". So where do more of the hunters tend to gravitate to do their hunting? Where they see or find the most big buck sign?

Now, BSK will call this tactic "spatial analysis". I just call it focusing in on those areas other hunters are not hunting (commonly because there is a lack of deer sign in those areas). It usually doesn't matter the reason why other hunters are avoiding these areas, but a common one is "too close to the road", or "deer wouldn't be there when there such better places for them to be".

Here's what happens.
OLDER deer are very quick to gravitate to the areas that offer the least human intrusion. These are the areas they spend most of their daylight hours --- the areas where other hunters hunt least.

How many times have we heard stories of novice hunters killing these monster bucks where no "experienced" hunter would have been hunting?

TIME and TIMING are typically important factors, but sometimes identifying other factors can trump all. Regarding any tactic, never say "never", never say "always". Just try to be versatile and not too focused on any one factor or tactic. Sometimes I hunt right where I find the most big buck sign. But I've killed more mature bucks where there wasn't any.

#3306554 - 07/30/13 01:11 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Now, BSK will call this tactic "spatial analysis". I just call it focusing in on those areas other hunters are not hunting (commonly because there is a lack of deer sign in those areas). It usually doesn't matter the reason why other hunters are avoiding these areas, but a common one is "too close to the road", or "deer wouldn't be there when there such better places for them to be".

As I've written about on this site many, many times, in areas that experience moderate to heavy hunting pressure, THE single most successful technique I use to kill mature bucks is to figure out where no one else is hunting, and HUNT THERE, sign or no sign. And often one of the reasons no one is hunting there is "no sign."

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3306570 - 07/30/13 01:26 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: BSK]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

As I've written about on this site many, many times, in areas that experience moderate to heavy hunting pressure, THE single most successful technique I use to kill mature bucks is to figure out where no one else is hunting, and HUNT THERE, sign or no sign. And often one of the reasons no one is hunting there is "no sign."

That can include and many times means a wide open area. Deer, especially mature bucks are great at hiding in the open.

#3306571 - 07/30/13 01:26 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Which kinda shoots to heck the idea that one must put in lots of time to find all the good sign and kill all the big bucks. \:D

Older deer (both mature bucks and does) simply and quickly gravitate to those areas where they are least disturbed ---- even when those areas are very open mature hardwoods almost void of cover beyond an occasional dead fallen tree ---- even when that means bedding 125 yards from a trail head where multiple hunters park their trucks!

P.S. For whatever reasons, deer do not seem too "disturbed" by passing vehicles, and will often bed within 75 yards of a major road with steady vehicle traffic.

#3306947 - 07/30/13 07:26 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

The guys I kno who consistently kill mature bucks on private land,are the guys that hunt the best places...they may not spend as much time hunting or scouting, they don't have too. Like someone said the more mature bucks you have the easier it is to kill one..
Now the guys I kno who consistently take mature bucks on public land.... Put lots of time in...and a little luck always helps.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P

#3306989 - 07/30/13 08:05 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Roost 1]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Every hunter I know that consistently kills "big" or mature bucks have one or two traits about themselves that other hunters dont, or dont posses in the right amount. Oddly, not one of these hunters share the same traits per say, i.e. one may have an excellent location to hunt that others simply cannot hunt, know the area well, kept pressure low and simply wanted to kill only mature deer. Another hunter I know seems to be able to walk onto to a piece of property and can kill a mature deer within the year, this guy is sloppy (smokes on stand,etc) but he is not married and has no kids and all he does is hunt and has a lot of places to hunt. Most of those other places he hunts he also shares with others that are not truly mature deer hunters, so he prob hunts the hunters on those occasions. Although this guy kills mature deer every year, he also takes his fair share of any legal deer. I honestly think this guy falls under the pure luck category. Another guy I know doesnt kill mature deer every year, but he gets at least one every 3 years or so and that is all he will shoot, unless he is invited on a doe hunt. He bowhunts most of his time, hunts properties that most of us can hunt but I think his attribute is he dedicates all his free time to knowing these areas and what is there, then he hunts them when the time is "right".

So with that said, I think there are generally two things that mature deer hunters have, some may have both. That is; 1.) They WANT to kill mature deer and will almost stop at nothing to do so (some poachers could fall into this as well) 2.) PURE LUCK, I know only a small percentage of mature deer hunters posses only this trait, but I am almost positive I know a guy who is just simply lucky. You could give him permission to hunt a heavily pressured piece of public land in east TN and he would kill a 180" in the first year, along with 10 doe and 2 spikes...this guy is just one of those guys (he also does not come across as a "pro" hunter or big buck hunter, this guy mainly hunts in jeans and drinks coffee with his cigs during the TN MZL opener.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3307082 - 07/30/13 09:20 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: AT Hiker]
Elmer
6 Point

Loc: Ft. Campbell/Montgomery co.

I just turned down a great job to keep the flexible one I have, I have no health insurance, hunting took a toll on a failed marriage, I am 29 and may never have the opportunity at children which to me is nothing short of a tragedy. I am addicted to giant whitetails. I'm ate up with it and ducks are not far behind.

I'm not the stereotype to would think either. I'm well educated and I have dated models, a miss tn, rich girls, good girls and really bad girls. When I was younger I was a well accomplished athlete. NOTHING makes me feel alive like the blood trail to my next buck or really feeling the crisp fall air 20 ft up mid morning in November after a good rain.

I have two 150s, three other p and y deer, two others over 200 lbs, and one highly pressured 11 year old all from the volunteer state. I get my deer, but it's at a high price and that's the lifestyle I choose. I have to work hard for every one I get, and to me it's worth it.

Mathews Reezen, CVA Wolf, 7mmWSM

#3307095 - 07/30/13 09:39 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Elmer]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

content Online
I agree with many on here. I will keep this short. The ones that I know that consistently kill mature deer are the ones that 1) hunt where they exist and 2) have the work schedule to hunt when they need to and 3) know the right times to be where they should be at that specific time. If you have and know these 3 things, you will be successful.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
102 registered (Cooter, SMarshall, PapPaw, ChadG, catman529, imograss, 12 invisible) and 138 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91405 Topics
1068542 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.