Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3305703 - 07/29/13 05:51 PM Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions?
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Ok, this is in reply to an article most of you hopefully read that Bsk posted. So, in short it talks about these "serial mature buck killers" or people that consistently kill mature deer and he profiles these hunters, and sees a common list of traits that the best deer hunters he knows has.

I am wondering what some of your opinions are on what traits some of the best deer hunters you know have.

I will start it off. I haven't had the opportunity to be around what I would consider a great deer hunter but I have been around some pretty good ones.

1) They are persistant, they have what they believe to be a good idea and they stick to it, even if it doesn't work out right away.

2) They are willing to put in the work. Alot of people I know want to kill big mature deer but they don't want to put in the work for it. It isn't something that is given to you unless your hunt for the Tv shows. xD j/k

3) I really think for some people it just comes natural. They are all about finding ways to get a deer closer and do not over do it or spook deer by doing so.

4) They are knowledgeable in deer behavior and how the weather and habitat affect deer and what to expect out of deer when one of these isn't "normal"

Like I said I'm no expert, this is just my opinion, I would like to see what other more experienced hunters think. Thanks

#3305716 - 07/29/13 05:58 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: MattR]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

High goals, worn out boots, God given intelligence, knowledge, and determination.

*btw Poser posted the article, not that it matters

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3305876 - 07/29/13 08:23 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Master Chief]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

No matter how good, or much a person hunts, nor where, still takes some luck.

#3305970 - 07/29/13 09:29 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: MattR]
Snake
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

First and formost you have to have the right set-up. Now don't get me wrong I know of people who have killed monster mature bucks on public land but not real consistent . These people really have my respect because they hunt were any Joe can hunt mostly in the mountains but believe me they earn these bucks !Don't know of a single pro or not that can kill a mature buck consistently on public land that has severe pressure unless lady Luck is on their side . Hunters that have property that they can afford to let younger bucks pass knowing that unless nature takes them out they will return for another year can consistently take mature bucks but it is not a given because some can become virualy un-killable . 1.Serial mature buck hunters often learn from their mistakes and don't keep making them . 2. Not hunting a stand unless the wind is exactly right.3. Not over hunting a stand .4.Passing on a good buck even though it is the last hunting day and your tag is unfilled but not the buck on your hit list .5. Keeping human scent down to the very minimum drawing near to opening day. 6. Being persistent . I know alot of you know these very things I have listed but we all know it takes a person that is commited to their goals to consistently take mature bucks and this is someone I am not . The good Lord has blessed me with alot of deer in my years and some really decent bucks but I am a hunter first so if I score then I can holdout for a decent buck but going empty haned for a while the old hunter returns .A serial mature hunter is not for me but for those who can Godspeed to them !

Edited by Snake (07/29/13 09:31 PM)

#3305992 - 07/29/13 09:57 PM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Snake]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

It takes a lot of knowledge and skill, but first and foremost, it takes TIME in the field. The kind of time very few people have.

#3306157 - 07/30/13 07:13 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I would bet many of these people do not have a day job or have to work 40 hour weeks to make a living. Time is probably one of the most important factors.

#3306187 - 07/30/13 07:54 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
It takes a lot of knowledge and skill, but first and foremost, it takes TIME in the field. The kind of time very few people have.

Not sure just what is THE most important thing, but it might be hunting where mature bucks actually exist in "huntable" numbers.

Or put this way: It often doesn't take much TIME to kill one in places they exist in relatively natural numbers. TIMING is often more important than TIME. And all the TIME in the world won't help if you're hunting in a place where very few bucks live to 3 1/2 or older.

The good news is that "huntable" numbers of mature bucks now exist in much of TN, albeit the survivors to maturity tend to be the ones born with below average antler genetics. With a growing number of hunters voluntarily "letting walk" most yearling and most 2 1/2's, we're seeing a high percentage of bucks surviving to 3 1/2. But that said, I'm amazed at the collective hunters' skills in taking out those 3 1/2's with above average antlers each year --- very few of the larger antlered 3 1/2's are living to 4 1/2.

#3306240 - 07/30/13 08:40 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Master Chief]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: Master Chief

*btw Poser posted the article, not that it matters

My bad, I was in a hurry because I was about to leave and didn't double check it

Edited by MattR (07/30/13 08:42 AM)

#3306257 - 07/30/13 08:54 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: MattR]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

content Online
Hunt in the thickest thicket you have but not in it,outside it and don't bump it.

#3306283 - 07/30/13 09:21 AM Re: Serial Mature Buck Killer !! Opinions? [Re: Diehard Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter

I tend to disagree with this. Yes, some of the best big buck killers I know hunt a lot, but they do so because hunting is their passion. However, in my opinion, the absolute worst advice I see given about being a successful older buck hunter is HUNT HARD. That advice suggests that those who consistently kill older bucks do so simply because they spend more time in the woods. CONSISTENTLY killing older bucks is not about lucky encounters, with more time in the woods resulting in more lucky encounters with older bucks. Consistently killing older bucks is about knowing how to hunt them. Spending more time HUNTING THE WRONG WAY is not going to make you more successful.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Shouldbeatwork, Tage, Horsefly23, jthisell, pacecardave
13187 Registered Users
Who's Online
79 registered (diamond hunter, MUP, dr, Bow Hunter, dralarms, Crazyeye, 9 invisible) and 94 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
91019 Topics
1063697 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.