Tndeer Logo

Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3305590 - 07/29/13 04:13 PM Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today...
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

While flipping through the sports channels at lunch today, I caught a glimps of a nice buck on the screen. Quickly flipping back to that channel I got to see a 3 1/2 year-old Midwest buck bust the "pro" hunter and run off. But the amazing new information I learned from this "pro" was that mature bucks have better eyesight, hearing, and sense of smell than other deer... Really? Their vision, hearing and olfactory senses increase with age? I did not know that...

Oh, and I also learned that a 3 1/2 year-old 9-point buck with a 14-inch OUTSIDE spread, 3-inch browtines, 8-inch G2s and G3s, and one 3-inch G4 is a "mature" sure-nuff 150...

Wow. I didn't know I had so many 150s in my area.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3305604 - 07/29/13 04:21 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

content Online
\:D What more TV and you might learn enough to really kill mature bucks. \:\) ;\)

#3305653 - 07/29/13 05:12 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: plinker22]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

hahaha you didn't know that??? some true idiots on most of the shows.

#3305654 - 07/29/13 05:12 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: plinker22]
BSK
Non-Typical

Guess I better get back to that channel and get me some more ebucation. ;\)

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3305687 - 07/29/13 05:37 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online
Did he have a bow? If he did, he knows more than you, and you should definately believe his bs.. errr wait, I mean supreme knowledge.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3305744 - 07/29/13 06:25 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Master Chief]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

It's getting closer and closer to archery season so I find myself watching more and more of the hunting shows. While the way they hunt has little to do with the way I hunt TN, I do love seeing deer, so I watch.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3305745 - 07/29/13 06:30 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Redfred16]
GoldenEagle09
4 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN/New Port Richey,...

Yea I dont buy that. But they are little wiser than most lol. My uncle watched a buck lay down in a soybean field when it was spotted. That big bog laid his head sideways so his antlers wouldnt stick out and blended right in!

Edited by GoldenEagle09 (07/29/13 06:30 PM)

#3305748 - 07/29/13 06:33 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: GoldenEagle09]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

I learn something new every day

\:D

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3305838 - 07/29/13 07:52 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
Snake
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

What pro-hunter is this ?

#3305866 - 07/29/13 08:16 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Snake]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

#3305882 - 07/29/13 08:26 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

Originally Posted By: BSK
While flipping through the sports channels at lunch today, I caught a glimps of a nice buck on the screen. Quickly flipping back to that channel I got to see a 3 1/2 year-old Midwest buck bust the "pro" hunter and run off. But the amazing new information I learned from this "pro" was that mature bucks have better eyesight, hearing, and sense of smell than other deer... Really? Their vision, hearing and olfactory senses increase with age? I did not know that...

Oh, and I also learned that a 3 1/2 year-old 9-point buck with a 14-inch OUTSIDE spread, 3-inch browtines, 8-inch G2s and G3s, and one 3-inch G4 is a "mature" sure-nuff 150...

As for the scoring, Seems like I hear the 150s quite often here in Tn. I'd say the majority of hunters have never even really seen a 150 gross buck in a lifetime.

#3305913 - 07/29/13 08:48 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

#3305920 - 07/29/13 08:51 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: GoldenEagle09]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

I had a friend witness a mature buck some years back on Laurel hill wma come sneaking off a ridge into a cove on the lake and lay down in the water up to his antlers while some talking hunters walked across a ridge above the lake.....after hearing them pass the ole buck got up out of the water and gingerly walked off into the woods.......would love to have seen that. He was in a boat fishing.

#3306029 - 07/29/13 10:41 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
Did he have a bow? If he did, he knows more than you, and you should definately believe his bs.. errr wait, I mean supreme knowledge.

Yup, a bow hunter. The funniest part was when he did shoot a buck, it ran way, way out of sight (on camera) before dropping, and he said, "That new 'XYZ' broadhead really did the trick. That buck didn't run more than 20 yards before dropping!"

That was the longest 20 yards I've ever seen.

#3306043 - 07/29/13 11:04 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
Nealmeally
8 Point

Loc: TN

Some of the shows are a joke. I only watch a few. I watch Bill Winke but I watch his online throughout the season. He's probably the only one I really get tips from. Whitetail Properties used to be ok but they have more and more "sponsors" they have to mention every year seems like. Most of the shows I watch aren't even whitetail hunting. I like watching Yukon moose and adventure hunting. And if you can stand listening to Cody Robbins talk, his mule deer hunting is good to watch. But they all got that money on they mind and will bounce around wherever the money is. They swear by one broadhead one season and then next season they swear by the other one. More about the money than the good old fashion pursuit..

#3306048 - 07/29/13 11:22 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online
 Originally Posted By: Master Chief

Yup, a bow hunter. The funniest part was when he did shoot a buck, it ran way, way out of sight (on camera) before dropping, and he said, "That new 'XYZ' broadhead really did the trick. That buck didn't run more than 20 yards before dropping!"

That was the longest 20 yards I've ever seen.

They are ridiculous when it comes to denying bad shots. I watched one shoot a buck just in front of the hams and he says, while still in the stand, "Barely hit one lung!"

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3306081 - 07/30/13 04:56 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Master Chief]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

My favorite gonad squencher is when they say..."dropped him right in his tracks, never took a step. That broadhead REALLY put 'em down!" and it was a spine shot. Sometimes you can hear the animal rustling around in the background while the "pro" hunter is fist pumping and congratulating himself on his perfect arrow placement.

Makes me sick !
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3306114 - 07/30/13 05:45 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: 102]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

Thats exactly why up until a week ago i hadnt watched my outdoor channels in over a yr. Its gotten to stupid. I like watching the Drury Bros on anything there on. But theres not many more i care for. The only reason im halfway watching it nowadays is because im getting the fever. But id rather turn it on there and mute the tv to not here the nonsense and just see deer.

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3306168 - 07/30/13 07:34 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: timberjack86]
whistlinwingman
8 Point

Loc: Morristown

One of the biggest reasons I hate hunting shows is the fact they add 1-3 years to every bucks life and in many cases a minimum of 25" of antler. Not to mention the cold hard "facts" they put out

#3306176 - 07/30/13 07:42 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: whistlinwingman]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Wow, so a bucks eyes and nose get more efficient with age? No WONDER I can't kill the old ones?! Do they ever get old enough to have X-Ray vision like Superman?
#3306229 - 07/30/13 08:35 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: timberjack86]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Hinting shows are simply informercials anymore...... rarely any good information other than what next widget you have to have in order to keep up with the latest deer killing technology.
#3306230 - 07/30/13 08:36 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Hunter 257W]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

I use to watch hunting shows just to look at the deer. Since moving to TN I haven't really watched any hunting shows. If I want to see deer and observe their behavior I just go for a ride or walk and watch them and how they interact. I learn much more by watching the local deer and it is more entertaining to me.
#3306252 - 07/30/13 08:49 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: rem270]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: rem270
Thats exactly why up until a week ago i hadnt watched my outdoor channels in over a yr. Its gotten to stupid. I like watching the Drury Bros on anything there on. But theres not many more i care for. The only reason im halfway watching it nowadays is because im getting the fever. But id rather turn it on there and mute the tv to not here the nonsense and just see deer.

Haha!!! I've actually done that a couple times. My wife is like why do you have it on mute. I say because my commentary is better. Now instead of that, I just pop in a old hunting dvd , you know the ones that are some what informative

Edited by MattR (07/30/13 11:59 AM)

#3306380 - 07/30/13 11:03 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: MattR]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Yall who want to watch hunting shows, but not the BS on the outdoor channel, watch some youtube videos. Look up channels such as The Field Archer, Bow Mullet, Leatherwood Outdoors, Outdoor Addixtions (CAW), etc. They all have quality real hunting videos.

#3306383 - 07/30/13 11:04 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: timberjack86]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

\:\)

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3306396 - 07/30/13 11:13 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

Loc: At the TNDeer shirt factory %^...

In before the sarcasm police show up \:D \:D \:D

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

#3306404 - 07/30/13 11:21 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Fordman]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Originally Posted By: Fordman
Hinting shows are simply informercials anymore...... rarely any good information other than what next widget you have to have in order to keep up with the latest deer killing technology.

To me that is all hunting shows have ever been.

#3306425 - 07/30/13 11:33 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Headhunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Headhunter

To me that is all hunting shows have ever been.

Exactly. Since when have they ever offered accurate information? I must have missed those shows...

#3307097 - 07/30/13 09:44 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: timberjack86]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

lol
#3307102 - 07/30/13 09:48 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: catman529]
CAW
6 Point

Loc: Huntsville, AL

Originally Posted By: catman529
Yall who want to watch hunting shows, but not the BS on the outdoor channel, watch some youtube videos. Look up channels such as The Field Archer, Bow Mullet, Leatherwood Outdoors, Outdoor Addixtions (CAW), etc. They all have quality real hunting videos.

Thanks man, I really appreciate you saying that. You have some really good stuff yourself.

I'm looking forward to getting back out with the camera this fall! I'm sure you are too. Come on September!!

#3307110 - 07/30/13 10:01 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: CAW]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: CAW

Thanks man, I really appreciate you saying that. You have some really good stuff yourself.

I'm looking forward to getting back out with the camera this fall! I'm sure you are too. Come on September!!
I got a new camera tree mount an camo duck taped it up! Can't wait to try and get better footage... Getting the kill shot is tough, and I did my best yet with turkey this spring and hope to improve more with deer this fall. Look forward to seeing your videos this upcoming season. I watched one from Kansas this morning (the buck that came in downwind off camera) and it started me on a train of YouTube hunting videos that got me the itch in the worst way.

#3307156 - 07/30/13 10:52 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: catman529]
CAW
6 Point

I got a new camera tree mount an camo duck taped it up! Can't wait to try and get better footage... Getting the kill shot is tough, and I did my best yet with turkey this spring and hope to improve more with deer this fall. Look forward to seeing your videos this upcoming season. I watched one from Kansas this morning (the buck that came in downwind off camera) and it started me on a train of YouTube hunting videos that got me the itch in the worst way.

That Kansas hunt was one of may favorite all time hunts, even if we didn't get the kill shot on film. Just got the mount back a few weeks ago and have been re-living it ever since!

I thought your turkey videos turned out great. They are much tougher to film than deer hunts, that's for sure. Which camera arm did you get?

#3307172 - 07/30/13 11:22 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: CAW]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

That Kansas hunt was one of may favorite all time hunts, even if we didn't get the kill shot on film. Just got the mount back a few weeks ago and have been re-living it ever since!

I thought your turkey videos turned out great. They are much tougher to film than deer hunts, that's for sure. Which camera arm did you get?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1168926 Solid construction from what I can tell, I like it.

I'm not sure what will be harder - turkey filming or treestand bowhunting filming. Seems like the bowhunting is a bit tougher, but this tree mount should make a big diff. Main reason I didn't get my 3rd doe on screen last year, is because my camera was on a tripod in a small space and the wooden treestand would have blocked the view of the deer. Won't worry about that with the tree mount.

#3307213 - 07/31/13 04:51 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Have you seen the one where the "hunter" is all but waving at the buck as it's coming in, and the buck looks up at him, then bolts? The "hunter" turns to the camera, with the most dumbfounded look, and says, "don't know what happened, could have been a coyote nearby, or anything." Yep, buddy, keep flailing your arms, pointing and waving at the camera, and those yotes will get ya busted every time.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3307415 - 07/31/13 09:03 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Boone 58]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Originally Posted By: Boone 58
I had a friend witness a mature buck some years back on Laurel hill wma come sneaking off a ridge into a cove on the lake and lay down in the water up to his antlers while some talking hunters walked across a ridge above the lake.....after hearing them pass the ole buck got up out of the water and gingerly walked off into the woods.......would love to have seen that. He was in a boat fishing.

I am almost 70-years old and have been hunting for 60-years. Not once have I seen a deer go fishing, let alone in a boat. \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3307488 - 07/31/13 10:00 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: bowriter]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Don't want to side track this thread but a quick something I watched a mature buck do one day. We were having deer drive and I was a stander along the edge of the timber and a gas line grownup with 3 foot high saw grass. The deer were headed my way and I could see a good buck behind a few does. I stepped to the edge of the gas line so I could get a shot at him as he crossed. The does all bounded across but the buck hit the ground and belly crawled across the line and didn't get back to his feet until he reached the timber on the other side. They're slick.

#3307513 - 07/31/13 10:26 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
The does all bounded across but the buck hit the ground and belly crawled across the line and didn't get back to his feet until he reached the timber on the other side. They're slick.

I know of several instances where older bucks were observed belly-crawling across openings they had to cross under human pressure.

#3307516 - 07/31/13 10:28 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I shot one belly crawling under a fence. Dang, I bet that was 30-years ago. I had forgotten all about it.

#3307520 - 07/31/13 10:30 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Mike Belt]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

...The does all bounded across but the buck hit the ground and belly crawled across the line and didn't get back to his feet until he reached the timber on the other side. They're slick.

That is incredible, I would have never imagined that...unless he just had an itch ;\) like dogs do. In all seriousness though that is neat. I can't say I've ever witnessed any truly strange behavior that is even close to that.

#3307960 - 07/31/13 05:11 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BlountArrow]
Big Gun
16 Point

Loc: Bartlett

I bet he didn't have his ATV parked on a train track though. ;\)
#3307995 - 07/31/13 05:55 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

The does all bounded across but the buck hit the ground and belly crawled across the line and didn't get back to his feet until he reached the timber on the other side. They're slick.

I know of several instances where older bucks were observed belly-crawling across openings they had to cross under human pressure.

You have to wonder when people say deer can't think, huh? I've read of such behavior but have never witnessed it. Probably have had it used on me by a buck or two I'm sure.

#3308003 - 07/31/13 05:59 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Big Gun]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Big Gun

Surely not. I mean NO ONE could be THAT stupid.

#3308026 - 07/31/13 06:17 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3308066 - 07/31/13 06:47 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: JCDEERMAN]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Did you know you can tell a deer's age by counting the number of points on the left antler. On mule deer, it is the right antler. On elk, you count all points and average them. With moose, it is the width minues 60". Caribou have no age.

I saw that on the internet so it must be true.

#3308068 - 07/31/13 06:50 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: bowriter]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

I watched some of the Outdoor Addixtions videos last night congrats on all those great hunts. its extremely tough to film yourself I still haven't done it successful yet congrats hope to see some more soon.

#3308125 - 07/31/13 07:41 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: deerhunter10]
CAW
6 Point

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
I watched some of the Outdoor Addixtions videos last night congrats on all those great hunts. its extremely tough to film yourself I still haven't done it successful yet congrats hope to see some more soon.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. Good luck this year with the filming. I hope you make it happen and look forward to seeing the footage!

#3308349 - 07/31/13 10:13 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Fordman]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

X2

#3308352 - 07/31/13 10:17 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Originally Posted By: Big Gun

Surely not. I mean NO ONE could be THAT stupid.

Ha! \:D

#3308396 - 07/31/13 11:13 PM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: bowriter]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Did you know you can tell a deer's age by counting the number of points on the left antler. On mule deer, it is the right antler. On elk, you count all points and average them. With moose, it is the width minues 60". Caribou have no age.

And all these years I thought you sawed them into and counted the rings?!

#3308453 - 08/01/13 05:17 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: Hunter 257W]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
 Originally Posted By: bowriter

And all these years I thought you sawed them into and counted the rings?!

No, that is the left front leg.

#3309397 - 08/02/13 01:31 AM Re: Learned something from a "Pro" hunter today... [Re: BSK]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

That sounds like the Kroger near my house. You have to watch out for all the nascar drivers in their three wheeled sports carts, but I tell you what they pick out the best corn in the vegi aisle. But when when comes to the self check out NASA gets disappointed at the launch time, the rut must be over by then I guess

Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
58 registered (UpperTully, thehoytman, Vermin93, diamond hunter, Florida Cracker 971, bowhunterfanatic, 7 invisible) and 113 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
89003 Topics
1041203 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.243 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.