Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3305661 - 07/29/13 05:17 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: MattR]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: MattR
I agree with every thing except some of the archery stuff. Sounds a little too "elite".

Now you're getting the picture...

...did I just say that out loud...?

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3306574 - 07/30/13 01:27 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

sounds good
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3306586 - 07/30/13 01:33 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
I don't agree with most of that. However, it will help sell his book.

Care to expand?

I think he named some valid points, but Id probably put some others ahead of those in terms of importance.

The article did remind me I need, need, need to learn to work the wind better. I would consider that one of my BIGGEST personal hunting flaws, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

#3306660 - 07/30/13 02:32 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Interesting read. I too don't agree with the archery part. Some people just feel good about themselves because they have the skill to bow hunt. I am not the best bow hunter by any standards, but I do it because to me it gives the best rush. I will not look down on someone for killing a monster at 300 with a 7 mag. I also will not walk up to a dead buck, bow in hand, thinking that I "did it right" by using a bow. Rather I would walk up to a dead buck, bow in hand, still shaking from the adrenaline and thanking God for the kill.

I don't think I would want to be a serial buck killer. I'd like to kill a nice one now and then. But I have many hobbies and am too divided to dedicate my life to only deer hunting. There are turkeys, fish, small game and other things to enjoy.

#3307229 - 07/31/13 05:30 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: catman529]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Bowhunting for deer to me is adding a degree of difficulty that longer range weapons typically do not have.

Primarily, for me at least, this "degree of difficulty" means getting close.

The closer one is to a deer, the easier it is to get spotted or busted.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3307438 - 07/31/13 09:20 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: 102]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I posted this on the wrong thread so now I am just copy and pasting over here. If it confuses you, just quit reading.

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
I agree with many on here. I will keep this short. The ones that I know that consistently kill mature deer are the ones that 1) hunt where they exist and 2) have the work schedule to hunt when they need to and 3) know the right times to be where they should be at that specific time. If you have and know these 3 things, you will be successful.

That is it. The rest is just recycled pasture designed to hype a book. And JC's #1 is the key. If you live or hunt where big bucks are, killing one does not take all the rest of that crap. All you really need is access and time.

Here is a sterling example. Bobby C. Lives in Chatham, IL. He hunts right behind his house in Sangamon County. His brother-in-law lives in central, IA. Bobby kills a mature buck, scoring over 135 every year in IL (He only bowhunts). About every other year, he kills one, 150 or above in IA. He may hunt six or seven days a year at most. The rest of the time, he is a tournament fisherman. The last time I was in his house, he had 12-mounted heads that all were over 150. I call that consistent. But you should see his fishing trophies.

Okay-I just realized this is the wrong thread and not the one about the book. Poser posted that. Just copy and paste this over to that thread. That is what I am going to do.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3307617 - 07/31/13 11:48 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Access & time - yep, I'd say that condenses it down to pretty much the basics.

#3307788 - 07/31/13 02:42 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

I agree with many on here. I will keep this short. The ones that I know that consistently kill mature deer are the ones that 1) hunt where they exist and 2) have the work schedule to hunt when they need to and 3) know the right times to be where they should be at that specific time. If you have and know these 3 things, you will be successful.

That is it. The rest is just recycled pasture designed to hype a book. And JC's #1 is the key. If you live or hunt where big bucks are, killing one does not take all the rest of that crap. All you really need is access and time.

Here is a sterling example. Bobby C. Lives in Chatham, IL. He hunts right behind his house in Sangamon County. His brother-in-law lives in central, IA. Bobby kills a mature buck, scoring over 135 every year in IL (He only bowhunts). About every other year, he kills one, 150 or above in IA. He may hunt six or seven days a year at most. The rest of the time, he is a tournament fisherman. The last time I was in his house, he had 12-mounted heads that all were over 150. I call that consistent. But you should see his fishing trophies.

Okay-I just realized this is the wrong thread and not the one about the book. Poser posted that. Just copy and paste this over to that thread. That is what I am going to do.

IMO, there is more good info on hunting in the above two posts than in the article. Funny how a simple explanation is the best. If you: #1 have access with land with large antlered deer living on or nearby, #2 you have time to hunt, and #3 you are a halfway decent shot - then you too can be a consistent big buck hunter.

However, some will disagree.

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
 Originally Posted By: de novo
He left off having a prime location to hunt. If he's routinely successful on public land his "modesty" may be confused with actual secrecy.

You do not need to have prime location to be a successful big buck hunter. You and everyone else in tn have access to land where there are several big antlered deer.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3307794 - 07/31/13 02:47 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: BSK]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: MattR
I agree with every thing except some of the archery stuff. Sounds a little too "elite".

Now you're getting the picture...

...did I just say that out loud...?

Agreed!

#3307817 - 07/31/13 03:08 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: de novo]
Master Chief
8 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online

IMO, there is more good info on hunting in the above two posts than in the article. Funny how a simple explanation is the best. If you: #1 have access with land with large antlered deer living on or nearby, #2 you have time to hunt, and #3 you are a halfway decent shot - then you too can be a consistent big buck hunter.

However, some will disagree.

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
He left off having a prime location to hunt. If he's routinely successful on public land his "modesty" may be confused with actual secrecy.

You do not need to have prime location to be a successful big buck hunter. You and everyone else in tn have access to land where there are several big antlered deer.

I don't disagree with having to be where big bucks exist. You don't need to be on "prime" ground though. You'd be surprised how many 130-160 deer exist on public hunting lands in TN. It may be harder to hunt LBL, Ames, Fort Cambell, Natchez Trace, or any other public land, but there are trophy class deer on them.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
47 registered (Jaye, DEER REPELLANT, Food Plot 101, Mr.Bro, alwaysoutdoors, redblood, 5 invisible) and 111 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85654 Topics
1035038 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.208 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.