Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3305310 - 07/29/13 12:29 PM Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

http://wiredtohunt.com/2013/07/23/profiling-big-buck-serial-killers/

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3305342 - 07/29/13 12:47 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I would tend to agree with those characteristics (except perhaps "modest!").

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3305408 - 07/29/13 01:39 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: BSK]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

"Many even take it a step further and hunt with traditional archery tackle. These guys accept the challenge for what it is and don’t look to cheapen the experience by looking for shortcuts. They have the hunting skills to get the job done and don’t need to use advanced weapons or tools to make up for shortcomings"

So basically if you use the most efficient weapon you aren't a "Big Buck Serial Killer"? Not sure if I like the way he puts that anyways.

Edited by MattR (07/29/13 01:42 PM)

#3305467 - 07/29/13 02:25 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: MattR]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

ill agree with that except the traditional archery. traditional archery is a lost art I think. and the majority of them use what ever weapon that the season is open for. I do think many of them are modest about it. not all of them of course but many of them are I think.

#3305524 - 07/29/13 03:12 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: deerhunter10]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

He left off having a prime location to hunt. If he's routinely successful on public land his "modesty" may be confused with actual secrecy.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3305571 - 07/29/13 04:00 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: deerhunter10]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
ill agree with that except the traditional archery. traditional archery is a lost art I think. and the majority of them use what ever weapon that the season is open for. I do think many of them are modest about it. not all of them of course but many of them are I think.

True big buck killers, you're probably right deerhunter10. In fact, I hope none of the successful big/mature buck killers on this site thought I was taking a shot at them by my post. However, I know Don (the author) and the company he keeps!

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3305578 - 07/29/13 04:06 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: BSK]
kldeerkiller
4 Point

Loc: hawkins county

True big buck killers can kill big deer with any means necessary. It's their choice to choose the weapon. It can be done consistently on private and public if one knows what their doing.
#3305615 - 07/29/13 04:27 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: de novo]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: de novo
He left off having a prime location to hunt. If he's routinely successful on public land his "modesty" may be confused with actual secrecy.

You do not need to have prime location to be a successful big buck hunter. You and everyone else in tn have access to land where there are several big antlered deer.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3305655 - 07/29/13 05:14 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Master Chief]
MattR
8 Point

I agree with every thing except some of the archery stuff. Sounds a little too "elite". Of course, I have no room to criticize. I'm sure he has been around more mature buck killers than me.

#3305660 - 07/29/13 05:15 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Master Chief]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I don't agree with most of that. However, it will help sell his book.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3305661 - 07/29/13 05:17 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: MattR]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: MattR
I agree with every thing except some of the archery stuff. Sounds a little too "elite".

Now you're getting the picture...

...did I just say that out loud...?

#3306574 - 07/30/13 01:27 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
10 Point

sounds good
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3306586 - 07/30/13 01:33 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
I don't agree with most of that. However, it will help sell his book.

Care to expand?

I think he named some valid points, but Id probably put some others ahead of those in terms of importance.

The article did remind me I need, need, need to learn to work the wind better. I would consider that one of my BIGGEST personal hunting flaws, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

#3306660 - 07/30/13 02:32 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Interesting read. I too don't agree with the archery part. Some people just feel good about themselves because they have the skill to bow hunt. I am not the best bow hunter by any standards, but I do it because to me it gives the best rush. I will not look down on someone for killing a monster at 300 with a 7 mag. I also will not walk up to a dead buck, bow in hand, thinking that I "did it right" by using a bow. Rather I would walk up to a dead buck, bow in hand, still shaking from the adrenaline and thanking God for the kill.

I don't think I would want to be a serial buck killer. I'd like to kill a nice one now and then. But I have many hobbies and am too divided to dedicate my life to only deer hunting. There are turkeys, fish, small game and other things to enjoy.

...since last deer season

#3307229 - 07/31/13 05:30 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: catman529]
10 Point

Bowhunting for deer to me is adding a degree of difficulty that longer range weapons typically do not have.

Primarily, for me at least, this "degree of difficulty" means getting close.

The closer one is to a deer, the easier it is to get spotted or busted.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3307438 - 07/31/13 09:20 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: 102]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I posted this on the wrong thread so now I am just copy and pasting over here. If it confuses you, just quit reading.

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
I agree with many on here. I will keep this short. The ones that I know that consistently kill mature deer are the ones that 1) hunt where they exist and 2) have the work schedule to hunt when they need to and 3) know the right times to be where they should be at that specific time. If you have and know these 3 things, you will be successful.

That is it. The rest is just recycled pasture designed to hype a book. And JC's #1 is the key. If you live or hunt where big bucks are, killing one does not take all the rest of that crap. All you really need is access and time.

Here is a sterling example. Bobby C. Lives in Chatham, IL. He hunts right behind his house in Sangamon County. His brother-in-law lives in central, IA. Bobby kills a mature buck, scoring over 135 every year in IL (He only bowhunts). About every other year, he kills one, 150 or above in IA. He may hunt six or seven days a year at most. The rest of the time, he is a tournament fisherman. The last time I was in his house, he had 12-mounted heads that all were over 150. I call that consistent. But you should see his fishing trophies.

Okay-I just realized this is the wrong thread and not the one about the book. Poser posted that. Just copy and paste this over to that thread. That is what I am going to do.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3307617 - 07/31/13 11:48 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Access & time - yep, I'd say that condenses it down to pretty much the basics.

#3307788 - 07/31/13 02:42 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
de novo
10 Point

I agree with many on here. I will keep this short. The ones that I know that consistently kill mature deer are the ones that 1) hunt where they exist and 2) have the work schedule to hunt when they need to and 3) know the right times to be where they should be at that specific time. If you have and know these 3 things, you will be successful.

That is it. The rest is just recycled pasture designed to hype a book. And JC's #1 is the key. If you live or hunt where big bucks are, killing one does not take all the rest of that crap. All you really need is access and time.

Here is a sterling example. Bobby C. Lives in Chatham, IL. He hunts right behind his house in Sangamon County. His brother-in-law lives in central, IA. Bobby kills a mature buck, scoring over 135 every year in IL (He only bowhunts). About every other year, he kills one, 150 or above in IA. He may hunt six or seven days a year at most. The rest of the time, he is a tournament fisherman. The last time I was in his house, he had 12-mounted heads that all were over 150. I call that consistent. But you should see his fishing trophies.

Okay-I just realized this is the wrong thread and not the one about the book. Poser posted that. Just copy and paste this over to that thread. That is what I am going to do.

IMO, there is more good info on hunting in the above two posts than in the article. Funny how a simple explanation is the best. If you: #1 have access with land with large antlered deer living on or nearby, #2 you have time to hunt, and #3 you are a halfway decent shot - then you too can be a consistent big buck hunter.

However, some will disagree.

Originally Posted By: Master Chief

You do not need to have prime location to be a successful big buck hunter. You and everyone else in tn have access to land where there are several big antlered deer.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3307794 - 07/31/13 02:47 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: BSK]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: MattR
I agree with every thing except some of the archery stuff. Sounds a little too "elite".

Now you're getting the picture...

...did I just say that out loud...?

Agreed!

#3307817 - 07/31/13 03:08 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: de novo]
Master Chief
10 Point

IMO, there is more good info on hunting in the above two posts than in the article. Funny how a simple explanation is the best. If you: #1 have access with land with large antlered deer living on or nearby, #2 you have time to hunt, and #3 you are a halfway decent shot - then you too can be a consistent big buck hunter.

However, some will disagree.

I don't disagree with having to be where big bucks exist. You don't need to be on "prime" ground though. You'd be surprised how many 130-160 deer exist on public hunting lands in TN. It may be harder to hunt LBL, Ames, Fort Cambell, Natchez Trace, or any other public land, but there are trophy class deer on them.

#3307823 - 07/31/13 03:12 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: de novo]
Master Chief
10 Point

#3 you are a halfway decent shot - then you too can be a consistent big buck hunter.

If you're deer hunting, you need to be a great shot within your comfort zone. "halfway decent" will not cut it. "Halfway decent" wounds animals.

#3308199 - 07/31/13 08:24 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: bowriter]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

Opportunity is king. Opportunity is the number one job of the consistent hunter. If a hunter doesn't have access to the deer they're after, it really doesn't matter how they hunt.

When people other than the hunter know of big deer and enjoy the company of the hunter, they tell them and if possible allow them access to the deer.

This is the case in my life. Because of my relationships with others I've even been invited to stay with people who are anti hunters so I can hunt. A guy round here always shoots big bucks, he manages properties that allow him access to the deer. Opportunity!

#3308210 - 07/31/13 08:32 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: -DRM-]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: -DRM-
Access & time - yep, I'd say that condenses it down to pretty much the basics.

yep

#3308267 - 07/31/13 09:05 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: nodog]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

I have hunted the most prime area in TN and killed a mature buck every year with little effort. For goodness sake, I was 15-18 years old. But we got kicked off that lease killing 115-150" deer every year for that 4 years. The lease "managers" wanted money from people that wouldn't hunt much. We hunted consistently and when they saw us driving out of the gate one morning (my dad and I) with a 115" and 150" deer killed 45 minutes apart within 100 yards of each other, they kicked us off. I hunted every weekend and every day I got out of football practice (high school). I killed a number or deer between 120-130" from that place and missed/couldnt find numerous others. From 2002 till this day, I have hunted Hickman county. Not only are there not as big of deer there as there are in Williamson, but these specific deer just don't grow nearly as big of deer, nor the numbers of mature deer. That's unfortunate to me. Personally, I feel I have 3/4 the skill to do that consistently, but I don't have the hunting area, nor the mature buck numbers to do that where I hunt now....Not to mention the time! I work in the corporate world and cant get out when I NEED to. There is nothing I can do about that. That's why in whatever post I stated previously, it is #1 where you hunt, #2 flexibility on time and #3 being there when it matters.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3308297 - 07/31/13 09:26 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Master Chief]
de novo
10 Point

#3 you are a halfway decent shot - then you too can be a consistent big buck hunter.

If you're deer hunting, you need to be a great shot within your comfort zone. "halfway decent" will not cut it. "Halfway decent" wounds animals.

If you like to think it takes a great shot to hit an animal the size of a calf at 50 yards with a rifle then so be it.

#3308317 - 07/31/13 09:45 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: de novo]
Master Chief
10 Point

If you like to think it takes a great shot to hit an animal the size of a calf at 50 yards with a rifle then so be it.

I never said you needed to be a great shot. I said you better be a greet shot in your comfort zone.

If you're a halfway decent shot at 30yrds keep it to 20. If you miss the the region of you're target that is representative of the vitals every one out of ten, you don't need to shoot at an animal at that distance.

#3308512 - 08/01/13 07:14 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: de novo]
BSK
Non-Typical

I sure know a TON of hunters that can't do it WELL consistently.

#3308557 - 08/01/13 07:47 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: BSK]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Completely agree BSK. Many people who hunt deer (and many other animals) have no clue about shooting, even at 50 yards. Every season, know or meet someone who has "killed deer at 300, 400, or 500 yards, one guy claims to have killed a doe on the run at 350 yards" but they manage to miss multiple times each season or wound an animal that they hit perfectly that is never found.

Edited by Headhunter (08/01/13 07:48 AM)

#3308624 - 08/01/13 08:40 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Headhunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

I agree Headhunter. I know a bunch of true marksmen off a bench that can't hit a live moving deer off-hand to save their lives.

#3308767 - 08/01/13 11:07 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: BSK]
de novo
10 Point

And I know several small kids and wives/girlfriends of hunters who have little practice and have accomplished this feat more than once.

#3308777 - 08/01/13 11:18 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: de novo]
BSK
Non-Typical

And I know several small kids and wives/girlfriends of hunters who have little practice and have accomplished this feat more than once.

Absolutely true.

#3308814 - 08/01/13 11:52 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Master Chief]
de novo
10 Point

You do not need to have prime location to be a successful big buck hunter... You'd be surprised how many 130-160 deer exist on public hunting lands in TN.

The word used was PRIME not PRIVATE. If an area holds many 130-160 deer and allows hunting I would consider that a "prime" hunting area whether it be public, private, or residential. My definition of "prime" hunting land is one where large bucks reside which is of major importance for one trying to kill big bucks. No need to make this any harder than it is.

I never said you needed to be a great shot. I said you better be a greet shot in your comfort zone.

Hopefully, after re-reading this you can find the contradictory statement above.

I usually save arguing semantics for the political forum in pointless debates. But so far you have taken the time out of your day to analyze my posts to argue the definition of the words "prime" and "halfway decent". Now you've added "your comfort zone" to our vocabulary list.

#3308855 - 08/01/13 12:54 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: de novo]
Master Chief
10 Point

Hopefully, after re-reading this you can find the contradictory statement above.

Nothing contradicting in what I said.

You don't have to be a great shot-You don't need to be able to be comfortable at 750 yards.

You better be a great shot in your comfort zone-if you can't hit 10/10 kill zones on a target, you can't kill 10/10 deer.

btw-I understand your prime location arguement a little better now that I know what you define as prime.

Quote:
I usually save arguing semantics for the political forum in pointless debates.

I don't typically argue about anything lol. I certainly don't waste my time arguing politics.

#3308858 - 08/01/13 12:57 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Master Chief]
kodiak45
Button

Loc: tn

jlt
#3308862 - 08/01/13 01:01 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: kodiak45]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Is a "Big Buck Hunter"?

A. A hunter who hunts for big-bodied bucks?

B. A hunter who hunts for big-antlered bucks?

C. A BIG hunter who hunts for bucks?

D. A hunter who'll do anything for a buck?

#3308869 - 08/01/13 01:05 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Wes Parrish]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Is a "Big Buck Hunter"?

\:D

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3308878 - 08/01/13 01:09 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Wes Parrish]
Headhunter
10 Point

Is a "Big Buck Hunter"?

OR a politician. They are always hunting big bucks.

#3308889 - 08/01/13 01:17 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Wes Parrish]
Master Chief
10 Point

Is a "Big Buck Hunter"?

{C.} A BIG hunter who hunts for bucks?

#3308954 - 08/01/13 02:32 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Master Chief]
MattR
8 Point

It was actually

e) A hunter who hunts for "Mature Bucks"

#3309114 - 08/01/13 06:06 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Headhunter]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Is a "Big Buck Hunter"?

OR a politician. They are always hunting big bucks.

Isn't that the truth......

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3309395 - 08/02/13 01:15 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: JCDEERMAN]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

I have hunted the most prime area in TN and killed a mature buck every year with little effort. For goodness sake, I was 15-18 years old. But we got kicked off that lease killing 115-150" deer every year for that 4 years. The lease "managers" wanted money from people that wouldn't hunt much. We hunted consistently and when they saw us driving out of the gate one morning (my dad and I) with a 115" and 150" deer killed 45 minutes apart within 100 yards of each other, they kicked us off. I hunted every weekend and every day I got out of football practice (high school). I killed a number or deer between 120-130" from that place and missed/couldnt find numerous others. From 2002 till this day, I have hunted Hickman county. Not only are there not as big of deer there as there are in Williamson, but these specific deer just don't grow nearly as big of deer, nor the numbers of mature deer. That's unfortunate to me. Personally, I feel I have 3/4 the skill to do that consistently, but I don't have the hunting area, nor the mature buck numbers to do that where I hunt now....Not to mention the time! I work in the corporate world and cant get out when I NEED to. There is nothing I can do about that. That's why in whatever post I stated previously, it is #1 where you hunt, #2 flexibility on time and #3 being there when it matters.

I agree with jcdeerman. You can't kill what is not there. But you can also over hunt a particular deer and push him out. I would say that 90% of the big deer I have killed have been targeted in a 50 acre area, but the most important part is to hunt when the conditions are right only. And that comes down to being able to hunt when the time permits which my job does.

I will also say on jcdeerman's part that he needs to scout even when the wife is home! \:D

Like this afternoon!!!

#3309439 - 08/02/13 05:44 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: 156p&y]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Originally Posted By: 156p&y

I agree with jcdeerman. You can't kill what is not there. But you can also over hunt a particular deer and push him out. I would say that 90% of the big deer I have killed have been targeted in a 50 acre area, but the most important part is to hunt when the conditions are right only. And that comes down to being able to hunt when the time permits which my job does.

I will also say on jcdeerman's part that he needs to scout even when the wife is home! \:D

Like this afternoon!!!

\:D \:D wish I could have gone yesterday evening. Trying to score some points before the season starts . Let me know in the next few days

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3309709 - 08/02/13 10:25 AM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: JCDEERMAN]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

Okay, but your gonna have to start peeling grapes for dinner to earn enough points before deer season. I just figured I'd call you out before all the guys on here to get your butt in gear. It's scouting time man!

#3310707 - 08/03/13 02:03 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: 156p&y]
Headhunter
10 Point

I almost never scout and when I do it is mostly on my way in and out while hunting. Scouting is overrated.

#3310831 - 08/03/13 04:34 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Headhunter]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
I almost never scout and when I do it is mostly on my way in and out while hunting. Scouting is overrated.

The "scouting" he is referencing above could be better described as "glassing". It is more of a hobby for us in late summer. Done it for several years. Driving around in the evening seeing what we see, sometimes getting some video.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3311147 - 08/03/13 10:54 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

I have to partially disagree with the article. I think if you gave 20 hunters from tndeer 20 different tracks of land holding trophy deer, I bet 15 would come out successful.

Instead of the long read of what trophy hunters consist of it shouldve just said $$$$$$$$$$$$$. With money you have access therefore you will have the time. Therefore with success you will have the passion and drive. Without $ how can you keep such consistent land that produces so many trophies?

#3312569 - 08/05/13 02:23 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Poleaxe]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

Only thing I think that is really missing in this (although the elitism is incorrect) is that big buck hunters find and get permission to big buck properties.

Some pay, some hustle, but they all get permission in areas others don't.

I've landed around 500 acres on 5 different properties here around Louisville in recent years. I've put in countless hours on them, and have some big deer to hunt each year as a result. For example, here is a buck I got on camera 2 weeks ago. I've since lost access to this property, but got permision on 46 more acres adjacent to a park.

Other bucks from here these properties this year (last winter I had 4 bigger than these on camera that haven't shown yet)

#3312579 - 08/05/13 02:35 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: BowGuy84]
BSK
Non-Typical

I think many, many are discounting the fact that some big buck killers do it, every year, on public land. Everyone seems to want to believe it's all about time/money/access. And without question, those things can make a huge difference. However, there really are some hunters that are so skilled they can pull it off on land everyone has permission to hunt.

An by the way, I don't consider those who kill big bucks ONLY because of their private land access to be good or skilled hunters. They MIGHT be, but their private land successes prove nothing.

#3312630 - 08/05/13 03:37 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I think many, many are discounting the fact that some big buck killers do it, every year, on public land. Everyone seems to want to believe it's all about time/money/access.

So very true.

Amazing how so many are so quick to "divide" us into groups of "haves" and "haves not". MANY, MANY of the big bucks killed each year are taken on public land by hunters who prefer the public just erroneously assume they were taken on non-public land.

Speaking of which, much of the public land in many regions (including parts of TN) is actually better than much of the private land in many other regions.

#3312706 - 08/05/13 04:46 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Wes Parrish]
MattR
8 Point

I think many, many are discounting the fact that some big buck killers do it, every year, on public land. Everyone seems to want to believe it's all about time/money/access. And without question, those things can make a huge difference. However, there really are some hunters that are so skilled they can pull it off on land everyone has permission to hunt.

An by the way, I don't consider those who kill big bucks ONLY because of their private land access to be good or skilled hunters. They MIGHT be, but their private land successes prove nothing.

I think many, many are discounting the fact that some big buck killers do it, every year, on public land. Everyone seems to want to believe it's all about time/money/access.

So very true.

Amazing how so many are so quick to "divide" us into groups of "haves" and "haves not". MANY, MANY of the big bucks killed each year are taken on public land by hunters who prefer the public just erroneously assume they were taken on non-public land.

Speaking of which, much of the public land in many regions (including parts of TN) is actually better than much of the private land in many other regions.

Bingo!

#3312725 - 08/05/13 05:02 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: Wes Parrish]
Master Chief
10 Point

[quote=BSK]

Don't lie to everyone Wes!! Big deer don't exist on public land in Tennessee.

#3313760 - 08/06/13 04:16 PM Re: Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters [Re: BSK]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

I would tend to agree with those characteristics (except perhaps "modest!").

Yep, modesty goes out the window with success and notoriety.

Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
23 registered (trm, Deerhunter, buckaroo, prarie6288, MUP, gobblegrunt, 3 invisible) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91472 Topics
1069337 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.