Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#3304402 - 07/28/13 06:53 AM Re: The Take Your Dog Everywhere Revolution [Re: moondawg]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
I don't really take my dogs out in public much except for walks and to the dog park occasionally, but it doesn't really bother me when dogs are running around so long as they are reasonably behaved. A lot of it depends on environment. I've been to Western towns where virtually everyone has a dog and they are all off leash. You can go to a restaurant or bar and there are 5,10,15,20+ dogs sitting on the front porch waiting for their masters. I guess if dogs are raised in that environment, they catch on and fall in place with the other dogs. On the other hand, suburban dogs kinda of go crazy with all of the stimuli of being off leash.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3304431 - 07/28/13 07:31 AM Re: The Take Your Dog Everywhere Revolution [Re: Poser]
BUCK-J
8 Point

Loc: Ooltewah, TN USA

I have had 3 dogs in the last 32 years that went to work with me every day and just about every where else I've gone . My dogs have been more worldly than most people I know . Buck my 13 year old Golden has been with me trout fishing in the mountains , bass fishing all over the south , Venice LA.,outer banks , tndeer vous , even Daytona when Earnhart was killed . If you see me don't be supprised if my dog is with me .
#3304477 - 07/28/13 08:28 AM Re: The Take Your Dog Everywhere Revolution [Re: BUCK-J]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I have dogs, three of them. I have had dogs all of my life. I will not tolerate an unruly dog. Even when at my own home and friends come over, I am very strict on my dogs to not bother people. Dogs should be quiet and obedient. They do not need to be under foot. When I have guests I do not like for them to have to walk around my dogs or be bothered by my dogs (as nice as they are) begging to be petted.

I will not allow another dog in my yard, regardless of who's it is. This is not their home and if it upsets my dogs , then they do not need to be here. My in-laws have brought their dog over before, but maybe only once or twice and it stayed outside the fence or in their vehicle....

The thing about some pet owners is that they seek praise for having a well trained and/or pretty dog. They feel like the dog some how makes them a better person or a better pet owner, especially if they like to show him off. Sort of like a fast car or pretty girlfriend....lol. Even to the point to where they will bring their dog inside someone's home where another dog lives and the result is a fight.lol.

Isn't it sad how disrespectful some people are for other people's homes?

As far as public places go, well, if it's legal, then I can just not go there if I don't like the dogs being there. Most times though I will walk up and ask if I can pet the dog, and normally do so. Afterall, I am a dog lover....it's the owners that I sometimes have a problem with..lol.

Oh and one more quick thought.....most times the dogs don't want to be in the store or in the restaurant, so don't blame them. Their owner is just too irresponsible and too uncaring to realize that the dog does not want to be there...

There are dog owners and dog lovers.....it's pretty easy to distinguish between the two .

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3304491 - 07/28/13 08:37 AM Re: The Take Your Dog Everywhere Revolution [Re: DirtyBear0311]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: DirtyBear0311
You're right but it's the same situation for a child that is misbehaving and disrupting everyone. I realize there is a difference between a dog and a child but the context is the same. I just feel like if the dog is behaving and not causing a problem then it's no big deal. However, im the type of guy that if my dog is being a bother or something then ill remove it. I think most people with manners would do the same. For the folks without manners, well they will always do what they want no matter what and all you can do is hope they will listen when you tell them whats what.

Misbehaving children do not maul or kill people. Misbehaving dogs can. HUGE difference. Few people have a powerful fear of children; many have a powerful fear of large dogs.

Someone with "manners" won't ask you to remove your dog. And they shouldn't have to. You shouldn't have brought your dog into a situation where there are many people who don't know nor love your dog. He's your pet, not the public's pet. Don't assume he is going to be loved and appreciated by everyone. At least half the people in this country don't own a dog for a reason.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3304495 - 07/28/13 08:42 AM Re: The Take Your Dog Everywhere Revolution [Re: farmin68]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: farmin68
BSK, I understand. Few dogs intimidate me when I encounter them, but I've never been attacked. If I remember correctly, both you and your wife were attacked (or had a horrific experience) at some point in your lives. Too many dog owners don't realize some people are terrified of dogs.

Correct. My elderly mother was also attacked by a group of five German Shepard security dogs. She still has regular nightmares about it years later. She panics in close proximity to a large dog.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3304521 - 07/28/13 09:09 AM Re: The Take Your Dog Everywhere Revolution [Re: BSK]
Outdoor Enthusiast
6 Point

Loc: Carthage, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
You're right but it's the same situation for a child that is misbehaving and disrupting everyone. I realize there is a difference between a dog and a child but the context is the same. I just feel like if the dog is behaving and not causing a problem then it's no big deal. However, im the type of guy that if my dog is being a bother or something then ill remove it. I think most people with manners would do the same. For the folks without manners, well they will always do what they want no matter what and all you can do is hope they will listen when you tell them whats what.

Misbehaving children do not maul or kill people. Misbehaving dogs can. HUGE difference. Few people have a powerful fear of children; many have a powerful fear of large dogs.

Someone with "manners" won't ask you to remove your dog. And they shouldn't have to. You shouldn't have brought your dog into a situation where there are many people who don't know nor love your dog. He's your pet, not the public's pet. Don't assume he is going to be loved and appreciated by everyone. At least half the people in this country don't own a dog for a reason.

I couldn't agree more. Comparing dogs to children is a true example of apples to oranges.

I can't understand folks who expect everyone to "love" their animal(s). I am the owner of two grown labs, and I understand that everyone does not share the same bond.

#3304534 - 07/28/13 09:23 AM Re: The Take Your Dog Everywhere Revolution [Re: Outdoor Enthusiast]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

I have a dog and when she's gone I know I will miss her as if it was a close personal friend which she is but she's still a dog.

People are not excepted to feel the same way as "you" do toward "your" pet.

Rules are rules and laws are laws. Why should we have to go to a public event and step in someone's dog's mess just because they thought it was cute to bring them???

At sporting events why is the game called time out because a dog is running on the field? Because it's not fair to the players and is against the rules of the game. Suppose that time YOUR kid might have hit the winning run or made the tackle that would have stopped the other team cold??

If there is a lase law in the area you are in and you see dogs running free just call the cops and complain. The dog catcher will come and when they see it for themselves they will take the dogs and the owners will have to pay the fine.

#3304606 - 07/28/13 11:09 AM Re: The Take Your Dog Everywhere Revolution [Re: BSK]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Misbehaving children do kill people. To me it is really similar circustances. The kids who grow up with minimal parental presense, that grow up to be a drain on society, in and out of legal system, sell drugs, murder others, etc.....Or the spoiled little rich kids that are 25 years old and still suckling on the parental tit. They get drunk, drink and drive, kill somebody, mommy or daddy gets a lawyer and they basically get away with murder.......Same concept with people owning pets. Pets AND children are a product of the environment they are raised in. Without the proper discipline, neither will ever amount to much more than a waste of space.
If someone comes into my house that does'nt like dogs, then the dogs go outside or in the bedroom. I respect their feelings, because like BSK, more than likely, there is a reason they do not like them. Like I tell people, I love my own dogs very much, but I don't really give a dam about yours. lol.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3304623 - 07/28/13 11:47 AM Re: The Take Your Dog Everywhere Revolution [Re: rukiddin?]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

I used to take my american bulldog with me everywhere but i noticed myself he made people uncomfortable and stopped. People have picked up there Chihuahua and left the dog park. most people dont notice other peoples reaction to ther dogs presence or dont care and i think they should

#3304805 - 07/28/13 04:05 PM Re: The Take Your Dog Everywhere Revolution [Re: rukiddin?]
Pic IN the Casa
14 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: rukiddin?

Misbehaving children do kill people. To me it is really similar circustances. The kids who grow up with minimal parental presense, that grow up to be a drain on society, in and out of legal system, sell drugs, murder others, etc.....Or the spoiled little rich kids that are 25 years old and still suckling on the parental tit. They get drunk, drink and drive, kill somebody, mommy or daddy gets a lawyer and they basically get away with murder.......Same concept with people owning pets. Pets AND children are a product of the environment they are raised in. Without the proper discipline, neither will ever amount to much more than a waste of space.
If someone comes into my house that does'nt like dogs, then the dogs go outside or in the bedroom. I respect their feelings, because like BSK, more than likely, there is a reason they do not like them. Like I tell people, I love my own dogs very much, but I don't really give a dam about yours. lol.

Tell me how many 5 yr old children have killed someone compared to 5 yr old pit, or shepherd or rottie...

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
56 registered (bowhunter163, lung-buster, volsfan1976, bluball, greygoose, Vermin93, 10 invisible) and 95 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85385 Topics
1031751 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.268 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.