Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3302382 - 07/25/13 10:36 PM tough decisions
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

had yal ever just over thought every little detail of a spot you want to hunt. that by the end of it you don't even think you should go in there any more. I hate over thinking it, these big deer get to me! lol I got to learn to go with my gut and go with it. its just tough for me to do trying to out smart mature deer. sorry for the rant, carry on just frustrated right now.

#3302400 - 07/25/13 10:58 PM Re: tough decisions [Re: deerhunter10]
TN RDG RNR
12 Point

Loc: Rhea County

Done that. It can take the fun out of hunting especially when you are wrong for a long stretch of hunting season. When that starts happening to me, just lay a topo map out on the hood of my truck, close my eyes, point to a spot and hunt it no matter what. Sounds dumb but it takes a lot of pressure off you. Sadly I've have probably had just as good of luck doing that as I have analyzing everything.

#3302403 - 07/25/13 11:04 PM Re: tough decisions [Re: TN RDG RNR]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

that's about what im about to do. its frustrating, but its all part of it. season hasn't even started and cant decide were to put a couple of stands. lol ill get it figured out or just ask my dad, and uncle and see what they say.

#3302431 - 07/26/13 12:15 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: deerhunter10]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

one of my things about hunting is to try and not over think the setup. It's too easy to do that... going by gut feeling aint bad at all. You will probably just get lucky when you do kill the big one anyway.

#3302462 - 07/26/13 05:20 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: catman529]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Scout the sign in the area, set up stands according to predominant wind directions, and maybe a stand or two for the odd prevailing wind for back up, then hunt. ;\) Good luck!

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3302475 - 07/26/13 05:47 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: catman529]
Bow Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro Tn.

Originally Posted By: catman529
one of my things about hunting is to try and not over think the setup. It's too easy to do that... going by gut feeling aint bad at all. You will probably just get lucky when you do kill the big one anyway.

#3302520 - 07/26/13 06:49 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: Bow Hunter]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I'm doing the same thing right now DH10. Over thinking. But over thinking it is fun to me, lol its almost part of the hunt. Mature deer will make you over think something real quick. They make me over think anyways. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, it can play in your favor but you have to know when to feel comfortable with how much thought you have put in it. IMO

#3302581 - 07/26/13 07:54 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: MattR]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I think a lot of serious deer hunters fall to strategy "panic" from time to time. They formulate a new or modified hunting strategy in their head long before season starts, but if that new strategy doesn't pay off fairly quickly once season starts, they begin second-guessing that new strategy and sort of "strategically panic." Once that happens they dump their new idea and fall back on the comfort of their old, and often unproductive, strategies. I often found that if a new idea hadn't panned out by mid-season, I would strategically panic and just go back to all my favorite old stands without any logical reason or strategic plan involved. Rarely does that work out well.

Perhaps the new idea was a failure, but often we really don't give the new idea a thorough evaluation. As the drive to be successful ratchets up self-imposed pressure, we tend to abandon new ideas far too quickly.

I believe at least a full season is required to evaluate a new idea (and really, several seasons). In an attempt to force myself to give a new idea a full evaluation, I've gone to formalizing the plan in writing, as well as all of the reasoning behind the plan. I then force myself to read through the plan regularly throughout the season to keep my (hopefully) sound reasoning fresh in my mind. If I don't have it written down, my mind will immediately start second-guessing the original ideas, selectively forgetting the reasoning behind the ideas, and making excuses as to why I should abandon the plan.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3302643 - 07/26/13 08:47 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: BSK]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Empiricism: the theory that all knowledge is derived from sense-experience.

I've been moving increasingly towards a philosophy of "consider the information you have available to you (terrain and sign) and trust your intuition"

When you make a decision about when, where and how to hunt, commit to it 100%, be content with your decisions and if it turns out to be the wrong decision, accept that as part of the learning process and take that into consideration next time you make a decision.

My best hunts last season went down just like that. While there are certainly factual and scientific considerations, I just lump those into sensory experience and, that way, I don't have to waste time doing "calculations" over relatively simple decisions. -just take the entire hunting experience in as one single sensory experience and trust your intuition to properly synthesize the information.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3302666 - 07/26/13 09:17 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: Poser]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

all the time

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered and 78 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.