Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3302992 - 07/26/13 01:39 PM Re: tough decisions [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
a lot of hunting is luck and being in the right place at the right time.

The reality is you should use your knowledge of the land, your knowledge of hunting, and deer to pick spots, but you have to get lucky and be there when the deer you are looking for comes through.

Without question, you have to be in the right place at the right time. And that CAN occur by simple dumb luck. However, consistently successful hunters know they are playing an "odds" game. They "make their luck" by hunting the highest odds locations. Play the high odds and you will be successful far more than someone who does not understand the odds or how to play them.

Card-counters consistently beat Vegas not because they are lucky, but because they understand probabilities. Winning any one particular hand is still a dice-roll probability, but consistently winning more often than losing is an application of knowledge.

There you have it.

#3303478 - 07/26/13 10:36 PM Re: tough decisions [Re: BSK]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
a lot of hunting is luck and being in the right place at the right time.

The reality is you should use your knowledge of the land, your knowledge of hunting, and deer to pick spots, but you have to get lucky and be there when the deer you are looking for comes through.

Without question, you have to be in the right place at the right time. And that CAN occur by simple dumb luck. However, consistently successful hunters know they are playing an "odds" game. They "make their luck" by hunting the highest odds locations. Play the high odds and you will be successful far more than someone who does not understand the odds or how to play them.

Card-counters consistently beat Vegas not because they are lucky, but because they understand probabilities. Winning any one particular hand is still a dice-roll probability, but consistently winning more often than losing is an application of knowledge.

completely agree bsk.

#3306061 - 07/30/13 12:12 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: deerhunter10]
Snake
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

I used to get a frustrated when my prefered stands didn't produce to the point were I wasn't enjoying the sport of hunting . It usually paid off for me to hunt/scout when the prefered stands were not being productive but as I think about I have just about as much success today because I don't let unproductive stands bother me now as in the past I just hunt for the joy of the sport ! Those days were I hunted /scouted has indeed helped today to not be afraid to change if deer are not in their regular season patterns .There can be several reasons deer are not cooperating normaly , realizing these changes will help . Don't be afraid to abandon your original plans if they don't materialize . Now a day I just pray , enjoy God's great creation and if God decides to bless me with a deer then it is what it is .... a bad day in the field/woods is better than a good day at work !!!!! JUST HUNT !

Edited by Snake (07/30/13 12:13 AM)

#3306096 - 07/30/13 05:16 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: Snake]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I woke up one morning after having decided on a hunt plan the eve before, based on predicted wind direction.
Of course the wind did not blow the way it was predicted.

As I sat in my truck, window down, on the side of the road, I realized the wind was not going to cooperate. I headed for plan B.

I had lower confidence in this location and sat disappointed as morning light approached.

THe one thing I had going for this locale was that I "felt" it might be a back door for the buck I was hunting a few hundred yards on the other side of the ridge where all the rubs, scrapes, and does were. I also knew other hunters would be coming to hunt from that direction, dis-regarding the wind.

Though I wanted to be there with these other hunters, I knew to NEVER, dis-respect the wind.

20 minutes after daylight, looking down at 21 yards and at full draw, I felt good about my decision. about a minute later, watching a 130 inch buck take his last breath, I felt GREAT about that decision.

This hunt "evolved" over the course of sitting and "LEARNING" deer travel patterns in the area over the course of a few years. All the while taking notes on does, food, cover, wind, and HUNTER preferences.

It was planned carefully, and executed deliberately.

I was less than 70 yards off a gravel road.

It was not the first time, nor the last time I have killed a good buck in similar fashion on public land.

IMO, it does take years of prep work and note taking to get good at killing big deer consistently (i.e.-every couple years).
You really need to pay attention.

And a little luck helps too.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
47 registered (Pintail, TX300mag, diamond hunter, tyson007, bowhunter163, Cottontop, 6 invisible) and 77 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92904 Topics
1085493 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.113 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.