Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3302669 - 07/26/13 09:20 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: easy45]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

I have learned that what I think will work now will not work in November. I let the deer tell me where to hunt.

#3302674 - 07/26/13 09:23 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
When you make a decision about when, where and how to hunt, commit to it 100%, be content with your decisions and if it turns out to be the wrong decision, accept that as part of the learning process and take that into consideration next time you make a decision.

As long as you think about why you made that particular decision. Is it well thought out, or is it a decision made in desperation? "Intuition" or "gut feelings" are thought-through ideas that were thought through in the subconscious. We have no "innate" knowledge of anything, let alone hunting knowledge. What appears to an experienced and successful hunter as "intuition" is just their years of experience being worked out in the background of their mind. Suggesting the less experienced "rely on their gut" is a recipe for failure, as they don't have the background information to work from.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3302686 - 07/26/13 09:35 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: Poser]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Agree BSK. Also I think deer hunting involves a lot of chance or luck. Just because your plan didn't work the one day you were able to go hunting that week doesn't mean it didn't work any of the other 6 days. It is easy to give up when things don't go your way but I think a lot of people fail to realize how many different things could be to blame for a plan "not working".

#3302694 - 07/26/13 09:38 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: MattR]
MattR
8 Point

I am not able to rely on my gut. Experience isn't there. So I will keep thinking things through, observing,taking my notes, and trying to make my gut a succcessful deer hunter.

#3302705 - 07/26/13 09:42 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: MattR]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I was thinking along the same lines Matt when i was reading through this. a lot of hunting is luck and being in the right place at the right time. If you came up with a plan and could sit in that area all day 7 days a week, without boogering it, you may find your plan was spot on and the deer you were hunting does indeed use that area, but too often we are not there when he is, so we think our plan is bad and give up.

The reality is you should use your knowledge of the land, your knowledge of hunting, and deer to pick spots, but you have to get lucky and be there when the deer you are looking for comes through.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3302720 - 07/26/13 09:54 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: Bone Collector]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

I hunt with my cousin on shared land. We both have a spot each that is "ours", like we have dibs because I hunt this spot alot or vice versa, which leaves a LOT of land unhunted. As season progresses we tend to venture from our "honey holes" but it comes at a risk, because once we declare we are leaving, it opens it up for the other one to hunt it. We are like best friends so we don't lie about what we see and we have cams, so we both know the other's spot is a good one. It makes decision time extra tough, because venturing can come with a consequence... especially if you have seen a good one. I will develop an ulcer one day....

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

#3302722 - 07/26/13 09:55 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: Bone Collector]
MattR
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
I was thinking along the same lines Matt when i was reading through this. a lot of hunting is luck and being in the right place at the right time. If you came up with a plan and could sit in that area all day 7 days a week, without boogering it, you may find your plan was spot on and the deer you were hunting does indeed use that area, but too often we are not there when he is, so we think our plan is bad and give up.

The reality is you should use your knowledge of the land, your knowledge of hunting, and deer to pick spots, but you have to get lucky and be there when the deer you are looking for comes through.

Bingo! You made it sound a lot better than I did. \:D

#3302752 - 07/26/13 10:18 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: BSK]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK
When you make a decision about when, where and how to hunt, commit to it 100%, be content with your decisions and if it turns out to be the wrong decision, accept that as part of the learning process and take that into consideration next time you make a decision.

As long as you think about why you made that particular decision. Is it well thought out, or is it a decision made in desperation? "Intuition" or "gut feelings" are thought-through ideas that were thought through in the subconscious. We have no "innate" knowledge of anything, let alone hunting knowledge. What appears to an experienced and successful hunter as "intuition" is just their years of experience being worked out in the background of their mind. Suggesting the less experienced "rely on their gut" is a recipe for failure, as they don't have the background information to work from.

I'm not suggesting that a beginner do that. They need a pool of experience to pull from. This is more applicable approaching an advanced level. Think first degree Black Belt here. You stop over thinking and analyzing decisions and enter more of a state of "flow" or "zin".... or whatever you want to call it. -where you are acting or reacting in an intuitive manner.

The first several years that I hunted, I planned things in great detail and tried to make extremely selective and informed decisions. As my hunting as matured, I've become less and less concerned with that process of decision making. Having the field experience of both failed and successful decisions in different settings can, overtime, free you of methodology.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3302756 - 07/26/13 10:19 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: Bone Collector]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
a lot of hunting is luck and being in the right place at the right time.

Without question, you have to be in the right place at the right time. And that CAN occur by simple dumb luck. However, consistently successful hunters know they are playing an "odds" game. They "make their luck" by hunting the highest odds locations. Play the high odds and you will be successful far more than someone who does not understand the odds or how to play them.

Card-counters consistently beat Vegas not because they are lucky, but because they understand probabilities. Winning any one particular hand is still a dice-roll probability, but consistently winning more often than losing is an application of knowledge.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3302757 - 07/26/13 10:21 AM Re: tough decisions [Re: Poser]
BSK
Non-Typical

The first several years that I hunted, I planned things in great detail and tried to make extremely selective and informed decisions. As my hunting as matured, I've become less and less concerned with that process of decision making. Having the field experience of both failed and successful decisions in different settings can, overtime, free you of methodology.

That I agree with. Well said.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
74 registered (tap.emtp, Wompuscat, willie c., Wrangler95, greygoose, bassinbrian, 9 invisible) and 114 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91745 Topics
1072272 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.126 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.