Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3305390 - 07/29/13 01:26 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: BamaProud]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BamaProud
Very cool. What did the head weigh? Some BIAB brewers use 5gal paint strainer bags to contain 25+ grain bills to steep grain...no problems with bags breaking. That might be an option(and cheap)

Probably 15 pounds. Maybe 20.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3547689 - 01/15/14 02:47 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

I'm bringing this one back to the top because I have the opportunity to go to a hog killing tomorrow and receive all the heads, feet and organs I want.

Poser,

What are your thoughts on using more cajun flavors? Using the holy trinity for vegetables: celery, onion, bell pepper? Adding hot peppers before in the broth? Or adding hot peppers after in the meat and gelatin?

Did you look at Ruhlman's recipe in Charcuterie?

#3547707 - 01/15/14 03:01 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
The Holy Trinity would be great. Actually, when we made this, we debated about the flavor direction. I was fairly intent on going with a traditional recipe, but my buddy really wanted to go in a Cajun direction. I've had both, I like both, I just wanted to stick to the basics on my first batch. Flavor profile wise, Cajun headcheese is more appealing to me. I love Cajun food. I'm also very picky about it being done right.

For example, vegetable oil used in a roux is immediately disqualified as "Arkansas cooking" and not Cajun cooking. -don't call it cajun, don't pretend its cajun and we're cool. At the Squirrel cookoff, the team next to me made gumbo with a vegetable oil roux and repeatedly made the statement "Them Cajun's don't know how to cook Gumbo right." Yeah, buddy, I'm pretty sure you don't get to decide how Gumbo is made right. I'm also pretty sure that a person from Arkansas definitely does not get to tell the rest of the world that Cajuns don't know how to cook cajun. His gumbo was terrible. It may have been the worst gumbo I've ever had (though, I have passed on many chances to try "Gumbo" at, say Applebees). He also beat us in competition and sold more shirts than we did, so what do I know?

But, yeah, Holy Trinity, add a little Louisiana brand hot sauce just before eating. -should be good. I can't stress enough that you have to completely over salt the headcheese while its still hot. "Too salty" is not enough. It has to be "way too salty" because it will mellow out dramatically when cooled. Ours came out under salted and we thought that it was "Plenty salty enough" while hot.

#3547787 - 01/15/14 03:53 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

What about adding hot peppers? Would you add them before you cook? Or, after cooking and chop them into the meat?

Do you have a ratio you would use on the veggies? 2 parts onion, 1 part celery, 1 part bell pepper?

#3547804 - 01/15/14 04:01 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: WMAn
What about adding hot peppers? Would you add them before you cook? Or, after cooking and chop them into the meat?

Do you have a ratio you would use on the veggies? 2 parts onion, 1 part celery, 1 part bell pepper?

You probably dont want to cook the peppers too long. I'd look closely at some cajun headcheese recipes and see what they do.

#3547833 - 01/15/14 04:20 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

I've looked, but I'm having trouble finding a good one. I can't decide how many heads to take (They are killing ten hogs). I don't have the freezer space for them, but what I don't take will get thrown away.

With the cool weather, I may take all of them, store them on my garage floor, and get an assembly line going here at home. That is get up early and head cheese, stay up late and head cheese, and work throughout the day on everything else that I need to do. If I don't use all of them, I'll just throw them away, which is what would happen to them anyway.

If I do more than one, I may try a mexican flavored one. Maybe dried peppers and cilantro in the broth.

I think the only real rules for headcheese are cooked pork chopped up and molded in gelatin. Right?

#3548003 - 01/15/14 05:52 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Wobblyshot1]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

My Dad was taken in by a family and they survived the Great Depression by making and selling headcheese door-to-door.
#3548393 - 01/15/14 10:04 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: DaveB]
280longshot
8 Point

Loc: Tn, Tipton

content Online
Poser
You defiantly have a passion for cooking.
Looks Great....

#3548770 - 01/16/14 09:35 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: 280longshot]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

You should make head cheese out of pork and snow goose!

#3548773 - 01/16/14 09:37 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: Deck78
done good man! I am impressed. I saw some really awesome hay hooks at an antique mall the other day. they would work real good for working that piggy head

Yeah, those would be perfect! I admit to not thinking through how exactly we were going to get a boiling hot, 15 lbs hogs head full submerged in 30 quarts of boiling hot stock, out of a 50 qt pot. Tongs were useless.

Might I suggest using mechanics wire and making a sling (under/around) the entire head, leave a loop at the top to be able to grab onto after it is cooked. Then just snip to wire off afterwards.

OR

Would the head fit into the strainer basket that comes with most turkey fryers? The one I have is rather large and I think it would fit.

Just some thoughts

FDXX75

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
173 registered (Master Chief, Realtree, TN Larry, bowhunter163, ruger7mag, easy45, 11 invisible) and 184 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93063 Topics
1087433 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.09 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.