Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3301758 - 07/25/13 11:15 AM Headcheese from start to finish
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Here is the step by step process of making Coppa Di Testa or "Headcheese." For the sake of tradition, we decided to stuff it into a beef casing, which really worked out well. This Fall, I will attempt this using the heads of 2 does and/or possibly a whole neck, just adding a couple of pig's feet for the collagen.

Started out with a Berkshire Black hog's head, a few pig's feet, assorted root vegetables, bay leaves, rosemary and cloves.

You can see the amount of meat, fat and collagen contained on a pig's head. These Berkshire blacks are rather large, too.

Place the head in a large pot ( I bought a 50 qt stock pot for such purposes). Allow the pot to come to a boil. We put the burner on one side of the bottom of the pot so that the froth would bubble into one corner. Do this because you will want to scoop the froth. The froth is undesirable things such as mucus.

Add the rest of the ingredients.

The head cooked for about 3 hours and then we removed it (which, was very difficult, by the way -need some hooks for this task). We then carved the meat, fat and collagen off the head and chopped it. -eyeballs, tongues.... the whole 9 yards

We then strained the stock into multiple stock pots (definitely a 2 man task with a 50 qt pot). We then put half of the stock back in the pot and cooked that down until it thickened up (the leftover stock was frozen and will be used for some amazing gumbo later on -this stock is incredible!). We salted the stock to taste, which took quite a bit of salt. We then poured the stock over the meat -just enough to cover it. This cooled for a moment and then we stuffed the casing with this contents (definitely a two man job).

This went into the fridge overnight to congeal.

The final product came out excellent. We might could have used a bit more salt. Once the stock cooled, it did not taste as salty, so you really need to make it saltier than you think that you need it. The casing is a excellent presentation for the meat. We served it with a side of Boarshead Spicy mustard and pickles. Hot sauce is also good. This was a very traditional headcheese, but you could spice it up Cajun style with Red Pepper Flakes etc.

Overall, this was a ton of work, and rather intense work at that, but it was a awesome experience.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3301765 - 07/25/13 11:27 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
Deck78
6 Point

Loc: hipster hollow

done good man! I am impressed. I saw some really awesome hay hooks at an antique mall the other day. they would work real good for working that piggy head

#3301788 - 07/25/13 11:50 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Deck78]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Poser,

Do you have an electric stove top in your new place?

#3301808 - 07/25/13 12:16 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Deck78]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Deck78
done good man! I am impressed. I saw some really awesome hay hooks at an antique mall the other day. they would work real good for working that piggy head

Yeah, those would be perfect! I admit to not thinking through how exactly we were going to get a boiling hot, 15 lbs hogs head full submerged in 30 quarts of boiling hot stock, out of a 50 qt pot. Tongs were useless.

#3301811 - 07/25/13 12:18 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: WMAn
Poser,

Do you have an electric stove top in your new place?

Yeah.... first time I've not had a gas range in over 10 years. It sucks, but you deal with it. That pot was big enough to partially fit on 3 burners, so I just blasted it with all of them. It boiled faster than you might think.

#3301829 - 07/25/13 12:27 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

I'm surprised it boiled at all. Mine won't boil or simmer a 32 quart pot.

#3301840 - 07/25/13 12:34 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Looks good. My cousin does it with wild boar and it's delicious. I think he may add a little pectin to it though to help it gel. No bell pepper?
#3301842 - 07/25/13 12:36 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: WMAn]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Very impressive.

I would have loved to try a slice of it.

#3301872 - 07/25/13 01:26 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Bayou Buck]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck
Looks good. My cousin does it with wild boar and it's delicious. I think he may add a little pectin to it though to help it gel. No bell pepper?

That's more of a Cajun style of headcheese. I like that style, but just wanted to stick to the fundamentals for my first experiment.

#3302070 - 07/25/13 04:35 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Birdsong Creek

I just had a slice about an hour ago. It goes good with Mexican Brew...

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Jgard, JD1278, BGB, Mopartech, Skeeter1
13524 Registered Users
Who's Online
92 registered (redblood, HOOK, G8rntn, hitek7, bigluresonly, 94user, 13 invisible) and 145 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13524 Members
42 Forums
98872 Topics
1161987 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.