Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3301758 - 07/25/13 11:15 AM Headcheese from start to finish
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Here is the step by step process of making Coppa Di Testa or "Headcheese." For the sake of tradition, we decided to stuff it into a beef casing, which really worked out well. This Fall, I will attempt this using the heads of 2 does and/or possibly a whole neck, just adding a couple of pig's feet for the collagen.

Started out with a Berkshire Black hog's head, a few pig's feet, assorted root vegetables, bay leaves, rosemary and cloves.

You can see the amount of meat, fat and collagen contained on a pig's head. These Berkshire blacks are rather large, too.

Place the head in a large pot ( I bought a 50 qt stock pot for such purposes). Allow the pot to come to a boil. We put the burner on one side of the bottom of the pot so that the froth would bubble into one corner. Do this because you will want to scoop the froth. The froth is undesirable things such as mucus.

Add the rest of the ingredients.

The head cooked for about 3 hours and then we removed it (which, was very difficult, by the way -need some hooks for this task). We then carved the meat, fat and collagen off the head and chopped it. -eyeballs, tongues.... the whole 9 yards

We then strained the stock into multiple stock pots (definitely a 2 man task with a 50 qt pot). We then put half of the stock back in the pot and cooked that down until it thickened up (the leftover stock was frozen and will be used for some amazing gumbo later on -this stock is incredible!). We salted the stock to taste, which took quite a bit of salt. We then poured the stock over the meat -just enough to cover it. This cooled for a moment and then we stuffed the casing with this contents (definitely a two man job).

This went into the fridge overnight to congeal.

The final product came out excellent. We might could have used a bit more salt. Once the stock cooled, it did not taste as salty, so you really need to make it saltier than you think that you need it. The casing is a excellent presentation for the meat. We served it with a side of Boarshead Spicy mustard and pickles. Hot sauce is also good. This was a very traditional headcheese, but you could spice it up Cajun style with Red Pepper Flakes etc.

Overall, this was a ton of work, and rather intense work at that, but it was a awesome experience.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3301765 - 07/25/13 11:27 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
Deck78
6 Point

Loc: hipster hollow

done good man! I am impressed. I saw some really awesome hay hooks at an antique mall the other day. they would work real good for working that piggy head

#3301788 - 07/25/13 11:50 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Deck78]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Poser,

Do you have an electric stove top in your new place?

#3301808 - 07/25/13 12:16 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Deck78]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Deck78
done good man! I am impressed. I saw some really awesome hay hooks at an antique mall the other day. they would work real good for working that piggy head

Yeah, those would be perfect! I admit to not thinking through how exactly we were going to get a boiling hot, 15 lbs hogs head full submerged in 30 quarts of boiling hot stock, out of a 50 qt pot. Tongs were useless.

#3301811 - 07/25/13 12:18 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: WMAn
Poser,

Do you have an electric stove top in your new place?

Yeah.... first time I've not had a gas range in over 10 years. It sucks, but you deal with it. That pot was big enough to partially fit on 3 burners, so I just blasted it with all of them. It boiled faster than you might think.

#3301829 - 07/25/13 12:27 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

I'm surprised it boiled at all. Mine won't boil or simmer a 32 quart pot.

#3301840 - 07/25/13 12:34 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Looks good. My cousin does it with wild boar and it's delicious. I think he may add a little pectin to it though to help it gel. No bell pepper?
#3301842 - 07/25/13 12:36 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: WMAn]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Very impressive.

I would have loved to try a slice of it.

#3301872 - 07/25/13 01:26 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Bayou Buck]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck
Looks good. My cousin does it with wild boar and it's delicious. I think he may add a little pectin to it though to help it gel. No bell pepper?

That's more of a Cajun style of headcheese. I like that style, but just wanted to stick to the fundamentals for my first experiment.

#3302070 - 07/25/13 04:35 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Birdsong Creek

I just had a slice about an hour ago. It goes good with Mexican Brew...

#3302172 - 07/25/13 06:44 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

Loc: Rutherford County

Looks good Poser.

I would surely like to give that a try.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

#3302345 - 07/25/13 09:29 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Wobblyshot1]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

You are one sick person but I love it.

#3302505 - 07/26/13 06:37 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

Would there be enough room for Elmer if you got a colander type pot with a handle that would fit in the big pot? I have one for my 40 qt pot and it makes little work of removing boiled whole country hams from the hot water.

#3302568 - 07/26/13 07:47 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Hawk]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Hawk
Would there be enough room for Elmer if you got a colander type pot with a handle that would fit in the big pot? I have one for my 40 qt pot and it makes little work of removing boiled whole country hams from the hot water.

That's a good idea. I could get a 40 qt colander.

#3303058 - 07/26/13 02:47 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Birdsong Creek

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: Hawk

That's a good idea. I could get a 40 qt colander.

Don't know if it's a 40 qt...but I have two big inserts at the river that I know you can fit a hog head in. I'll check if I go up there this weekend.

#3303330 - 07/26/13 08:07 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: BuckWild]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

do you eat that kinda like a cold cut of sorts? looks interesting. I definitely try it.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3303430 - 07/26/13 09:46 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Bone Collector]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
do you eat that kinda like a cold cut of sorts? looks interesting. I definitely try it.

Straight out of the fridge, on saltines with some pepper and hot sauce. MMMMM

#3303479 - 07/26/13 10:39 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: RUGER]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: RUGER
 Originally Posted By: Bone Collector

Straight out of the fridge, on saltines with some pepper and hot sauce. MMMMM

^ This man knows what he's talking about.

#3303608 - 07/27/13 07:53 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

\:D

I might not can cook but I do know how to eat. \:D

#3305370 - 07/29/13 01:04 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: RUGER]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Very cool. What did the head weigh? Some BIAB brewers use 5gal paint strainer bags to contain 25+ grain bills to steep grain...no problems with bags breaking. That might be an option(and cheap)

#3305390 - 07/29/13 01:26 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: BamaProud]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BamaProud
Very cool. What did the head weigh? Some BIAB brewers use 5gal paint strainer bags to contain 25+ grain bills to steep grain...no problems with bags breaking. That might be an option(and cheap)

Probably 15 pounds. Maybe 20.

#3547689 - 01/15/14 02:47 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

I'm bringing this one back to the top because I have the opportunity to go to a hog killing tomorrow and receive all the heads, feet and organs I want.

Poser,

What are your thoughts on using more cajun flavors? Using the holy trinity for vegetables: celery, onion, bell pepper? Adding hot peppers before in the broth? Or adding hot peppers after in the meat and gelatin?

Did you look at Ruhlman's recipe in Charcuterie?

#3547707 - 01/15/14 03:01 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

The Holy Trinity would be great. Actually, when we made this, we debated about the flavor direction. I was fairly intent on going with a traditional recipe, but my buddy really wanted to go in a Cajun direction. I've had both, I like both, I just wanted to stick to the basics on my first batch. Flavor profile wise, Cajun headcheese is more appealing to me. I love Cajun food. I'm also very picky about it being done right.

For example, vegetable oil used in a roux is immediately disqualified as "Arkansas cooking" and not Cajun cooking. -don't call it cajun, don't pretend its cajun and we're cool. At the Squirrel cookoff, the team next to me made gumbo with a vegetable oil roux and repeatedly made the statement "Them Cajun's don't know how to cook Gumbo right." Yeah, buddy, I'm pretty sure you don't get to decide how Gumbo is made right. I'm also pretty sure that a person from Arkansas definitely does not get to tell the rest of the world that Cajuns don't know how to cook cajun. His gumbo was terrible. It may have been the worst gumbo I've ever had (though, I have passed on many chances to try "Gumbo" at, say Applebees). He also beat us in competition and sold more shirts than we did, so what do I know?

But, yeah, Holy Trinity, add a little Louisiana brand hot sauce just before eating. -should be good. I can't stress enough that you have to completely over salt the headcheese while its still hot. "Too salty" is not enough. It has to be "way too salty" because it will mellow out dramatically when cooled. Ours came out under salted and we thought that it was "Plenty salty enough" while hot.

#3547787 - 01/15/14 03:53 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

What about adding hot peppers? Would you add them before you cook? Or, after cooking and chop them into the meat?

Do you have a ratio you would use on the veggies? 2 parts onion, 1 part celery, 1 part bell pepper?

#3547804 - 01/15/14 04:01 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

What about adding hot peppers? Would you add them before you cook? Or, after cooking and chop them into the meat?

Do you have a ratio you would use on the veggies? 2 parts onion, 1 part celery, 1 part bell pepper?

You probably dont want to cook the peppers too long. I'd look closely at some cajun headcheese recipes and see what they do.

#3547833 - 01/15/14 04:20 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

I've looked, but I'm having trouble finding a good one. I can't decide how many heads to take (They are killing ten hogs). I don't have the freezer space for them, but what I don't take will get thrown away.

With the cool weather, I may take all of them, store them on my garage floor, and get an assembly line going here at home. That is get up early and head cheese, stay up late and head cheese, and work throughout the day on everything else that I need to do. If I don't use all of them, I'll just throw them away, which is what would happen to them anyway.

If I do more than one, I may try a mexican flavored one. Maybe dried peppers and cilantro in the broth.

I think the only real rules for headcheese are cooked pork chopped up and molded in gelatin. Right?

#3548003 - 01/15/14 05:52 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Wobblyshot1]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

My Dad was taken in by a family and they survived the Great Depression by making and selling headcheese door-to-door.
#3548393 - 01/15/14 10:04 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: DaveB]
280longshot
8 Point

Loc: Tn, Tipton

Poser
You defiantly have a passion for cooking.
Looks Great....

#3548770 - 01/16/14 09:35 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: 280longshot]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

You should make head cheese out of pork and snow goose!

#3548773 - 01/16/14 09:37 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Yeah, those would be perfect! I admit to not thinking through how exactly we were going to get a boiling hot, 15 lbs hogs head full submerged in 30 quarts of boiling hot stock, out of a 50 qt pot. Tongs were useless.

Might I suggest using mechanics wire and making a sling (under/around) the entire head, leave a loop at the top to be able to grab onto after it is cooked. Then just snip to wire off afterwards.

OR

Would the head fit into the strainer basket that comes with most turkey fryers? The one I have is rather large and I think it would fit.

Just some thoughts

FDXX75

#3548782 - 01/16/14 09:45 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

Might I suggest using mechanics wire and making a sling (under/around) the entire head, leave a loop at the top to be able to grab onto after it is cooked. Then just snip to wire off afterwards.

OR

Would the head fit into the strainer basket that comes with most turkey fryers? The one I have is rather large and I think it would fit.

Just some thoughts

FDXX75

Either of those are excellent ideas. -forgot about that mistake (getting the steaming hot head out of the pot that, with the liquid & head, probably weighed 40 lbs, was no easy task).

#3548785 - 01/16/14 09:46 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I think the only real rules for headcheese are cooked pork chopped up and molded in gelatin. Right?

Yep.

#3548837 - 01/16/14 10:30 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
Deck78
6 Point

Loc: hipster hollow

Yep.

I just put 2 really tasty piglets in the barn to feed out through next winter. We have fenced off a couple of acres of forest that is loaded with nut bearing trees and these piggies are designed to grow slow on what the forest can provide. I will be in to some trades this winter so get your thinkin cap on for what you will want and what we will trade for it.

#3549035 - 01/16/14 12:53 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Deck78]
TheRealSpurhunter
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland & Bedford CO

Do yourself a favor and get a set of PVC food handling gloves. They are worth their weight in gold, I swear. http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/Food%20Handling%20Gloves%20PVC

#3549039 - 01/16/14 12:57 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
TheRealSpurhunter
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland & Bedford CO

I'm always intrigued by these projects, even if its just not for me.

#3550592 - 01/17/14 02:49 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: TheRealSpurhunter]
Big Pop
Spike

Loc: East TN

I watched Meateater last night and he and another fellow made headcheese, etc. on the show from a Florida wild hog. Reminded me of your post here. Even made his own casing for sausage from the small intestines (I think...). It all looked good!

#3557273 - 01/22/14 04:14 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Deck78]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

man that looks good. my grandmaw used to make it and i love it .

#3564569 - 01/28/14 10:26 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Brisco Darlin]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

My first inclination is to ask why? But I guess I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it.

#3564605 - 01/28/14 10:59 AM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: BigAl]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BigAl
My first inclination is to ask why? But I guess I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it.

Traditonally speaking, its about not wasting any part of the animal. You have eaten hotdogs before, right?

Edited by Poser (01/28/14 11:25 AM)

#3566699 - 01/29/14 03:05 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: Poser]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

Traditonally speaking, its about not wasting any part of the animal. You have eaten hotdogs before, right?

Many times. And bologna and pork brains.

#3566946 - 01/29/14 05:27 PM Re: Headcheese from start to finish [Re: BigAl]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Many times. And bologna and pork brains.

Then you ate plenty of "headcheese"

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (dfleming) and 47 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.