Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 14 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#3307302 - 07/31/13 07:33 AM Re: Best hunting lie you've ever heard [Re: Right_Tackle74]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Originally Posted By: Right_Tackle74
I've seen too many guys coming out of the woods saying they let a nice 6 point walk and see them at the checking station with a small Spike or young Doe. "I let it walk." Whatever dude \:\) I just laugh at them and go on.

Does not apply with the spike in anyway, I don't shoot spikes. Only a small doe if I make a mistake thinking it is a larger doe, but I have let hundreds of bucks walk of all sizes only to kill a doe or does, almost always a mature doe, I do my best to never shoot a small doe. I have had bucks and does standing together, many nice bucks (not great bucks, just nice deer) and I will shoot the biggest doe every time. Personally, I try my best to not shoot a buck unless I think it is as good or hopefully better than what I have killed in my lifetime. I believe don't kill a small buck, kill a doe. The state has the limit at 3 does per day for a reason I am thinking.

#3307348 - 07/31/13 08:15 AM Re: Best hunting lie you've ever heard [Re: Headhunter]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Headhunter
... The state has the limit at 3 does per day for a reason I am thinking.

Maybe in your neck of the woods, not mine ;\) .
However, I do agree with your theory on killing small bucks, if by small you mean immature.

#3307433 - 07/31/13 09:14 AM Re: Best hunting lie you've ever heard [Re: BlountArrow]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

content Online
This is not a lie but I'll throw it in because it relates to someone's post. I actually did pass up 100 or more bucks one year. They were all small and we were filming and hunting in 10-states and two Canadian provinces. I probably hunted over 100-days with a bow that year. It was one of those years when the 18-month old bucks just followed me everywhere I went. When you do the math, it isn't that hard to believe.

I just did an article on a guy who, with native trackers, tracked a lion over 12-miles through the Kalahari Desert in 100+ heat before killing it.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3307497 - 07/31/13 10:15 AM Re: Best hunting lie you've ever heard [Re: BlountArrow]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
... The state has the limit at 3 does per day for a reason I am thinking.

Maybe in your neck of the woods, not mine ;\) .
However, I do agree with your theory on killing small bucks, if by small you mean immature.

I could care less how old they are, in Tennessee, if I can see a 140" or better buck I am shooting him, I don't care if it is "6 months old". Most hunters think they know how to age a deer on the hoof, many don't and it seems when I do see what I perceive to be a buck I want to kill it almost always works out that I only have a very small timeframe to make a decision on whether or not to shoot. If you hunt an area that you can watch a buck for a long time and make a call, good for you. This aging crap and the tv shows that promote it is just that, CRAP. If that is what makes you happy, then great. I do try my best to kill a "mature" deer, whether it is a buck or a doe, but if a buck steps out and large enough or unique enough antlers including a 130" 8 pointer (it seems I hear 130" 8 pointer all the time, most have no clue what a 130" 8 pointer is), then I will do my best to kill that deer. It cracks me up to hear people say (I heard it yesterday) that they are watching a 150" 1-1/2 year or 2-1/2 year old buck. I would bet in Tennessee, that 150", probably even a 140" buck, has some age on him.

Edited by Headhunter (07/31/13 10:17 AM)

#3307522 - 07/31/13 10:33 AM Re: Best hunting lie you've ever heard [Re: Headhunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

...it seems when I do see what I perceive to be a buck I want to kill it almost always works out that I only have a very small timeframe to make a decision on whether or not to shoot. If you hunt an area that you can watch a buck for a long time and make a call, good for you.

Aging a buck on-the-hoof that you only get the briefest glimpse of can be virtually impossible, without years of experience. And that's one of the many reasons I run trail-cams. I don't have to age the buck when I see him. I've already aged him from pictures and recognize him by his antler configuration instantly. I know if he is a shooter or not at almost first glance.

But I also agree, a 140? He's dead, I don't care how old he is. Heck a 120 is dead. You aren't going to find any 120 yearlings in TN, and very, very few 120 2 1/2 year-olds.

Quote:
It cracks me up to hear people say (I heard it yesterday) that they are watching a 150" 1-1/2 year or 2-1/2 year old buck.

Odds are very, very high they are full of it. Largest yearling I've ever seen in TN was around 100 gross. Largest 2 1/2, near 130.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3307543 - 07/31/13 10:44 AM Re: Best hunting lie you've ever heard [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

content Online
I saw a pictrure yesterday, taken on July 26, in Hickman County of two bucks that right now would exceed 135. That is allowing for the exaggeration of the velvet. One might possibly top 140. They appeared from the picture to be 3.5 and I sure don't think much older. They were for sure, dang nice TN deer. I know the man who showedme thepics and the trail cam time and date was on them. I believe they were legit in all aspects.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3307601 - 07/31/13 11:34 AM Re: Best hunting lie you've ever heard [Re: bowriter]
BlountArrow
10 Point

content Online
HH,
My point was (a) we can't all kill 3 does a day. Additionally, my point was (b) a 3-1/2 yr old deer or older will not walk past me regardless of his head gear most likely. I'm not some master deer ager by no means, but I've tried to learn it and practice it and I think I'm right more than I'm wrong as far as knowing if a buck is 3-1/2 or older. I just don't like using the term "I don't kill small bucks" because if he's old enough I don't care that his head gear might be small. Last year, I killed a nice 8 pointer. I would have swore he was 4-1/2+ and the consensus on here was that he was 4-1/2 or 5-1/2. Well, he was aged at 3-1/2 by the jaw bone (not by me) which can also be somewhat subjective I realize. So, for me, at least I feel comfortable that he fit "my" standards of being 3-1/2 or better.

Edited by BlountArrow (07/31/13 01:40 PM)

#3307642 - 07/31/13 12:34 PM Re: Best hunting lie you've ever heard [Re: tickweed]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

Originally Posted By: tickweed
Well, one that became world class was one I started in a duck blind yrs ago. We had five regulars in a club, along with myself, and one guy invited a friend who turned out to be a diehard Tn. football fan. This guy had been to over a hundred home games at Knoxville, and he lived for it. We had all been in the blind an hour or so, and one of the members mentioned to him that I had played at Tn. back during the seventies. He moved down beside me, and then it started. This guy asked me what yrs. I played. I said 78-82. He started naming my teammates, of course I knew them all. Then I mentioned how I had ran a 4.35 forty. I thought he smelled a rat, kinda thought that was awful fast. Of course, I laid right in there with it. Then he asked my most memorable play, and I told him about picking one off against Alabama, running it back for the winning TD with less than a minute to play. He looked at me and said" I remember that play, I remember that play". I knew then he had swallowed it hook, line and sinker, even though I could hear snickering on the back seat. This lasted all day, me reliving my days as a Vol. Finally, late that evening I got to feeling bad, and confessed it was all a little lie. He almost broke down and cried. I promised myself that was the last time for that tale. He took it a little to serious, however looking at my physique I can understand why he fell for it. The part about me running thru the "T" 24 times was also convincing. I have trouble spelling Tennessee, much less played ball there, but I do love the Vols.

Tick I have to call you out on this one. You broke that promise to yourself because you told me the same thing last year in the duck blind! Hahahaha

#3307660 - 07/31/13 12:50 PM Re: Best hunting lie you've ever heard [Re: redblood]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Heard this one out of a Pro's mouth on TV

WE JUST SET THE WORLD ON FiRE BUDDY

But Maybe it wasn't a lie after all.....

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3307670 - 07/31/13 12:56 PM Re: Best hunting lie you've ever heard [Re: landman]
BlountArrow
10 Point

content Online
Have an uncle who believes, "Coffee is natural, from the earth, so that scent will not spook them. And, deer smell smoke all the time from people burning brush or whatever, so smoking a cigarette while in the stand will not spook them either."

I guess you can get away with a lot if the wind is in your favor, but I wouldn't chance it. It's the logic that gets me more than anything though.

Page 6 of 14 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
90 registered (in the dog house!, Dale3, 7mm08, 1908_Cubbies, tap.emtp, backroads, 11 invisible) and 96 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93110 Topics
1088162 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.133 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.