Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3298866 - 07/22/13 03:36 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: tickweed]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Unfortunately, nothing could help me shoot a bow well! \:\(

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3298889 - 07/22/13 03:52 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: bowriter

How do you practice? I have seen tons of articles advising you shoot from an elevated platform. I have tried it, done it and have never seen one iota of advantage to it. Not one whit better than standing on terra firma.

I have to ask, Bowriter: How did you arrive at this conclusion? If a hunter bowhunts from a elevated position 75% to, in quite a few cases, 100% of the time, would it not follow that the more experience you have shooting from elevated angles, the more arrows you will consistently put through the kill zone? From an angle, the "kill zone" is two dimensional requiring adjustments for angle.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3298898 - 07/22/13 03:59 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Poser]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Good tips for sure. my issue is i can;t shoot int eh backyard and hardly have time to go out every night let alone 2x a week to shoot.

I shoot when i can, but have always wanted to shoot more...

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3298903 - 07/22/13 04:00 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Somepeople get carried away with their practice stands \:\)

what is that over your head? a cone?

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3298911 - 07/22/13 04:08 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Originally Posted By: BSK
Unfortunately, nothing could help me shoot a bow well! \:\(

This is true and I have no idea why. It isn't rocket surgery.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3298912 - 07/22/13 04:12 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Poser]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Poser

How do you practice? I have seen tons of articles advising you shoot from an elevated platform. I have tried it, done it and have never seen one iota of advantage to it. Not one whit better than standing on terra firma.

I have to ask, Bowriter: How did you arrive at this conclusion? If a hunter bowhunts from a elevated position 75% to, in quite a few cases, 100% of the time, would it not follow that the more experience you have shooting from elevated angles, the more arrows you will consistently put through the kill zone? From an angle, the "kill zone" is two dimensional requiring adjustments for angle.

Go out in your yard or someplace safe and place a target at 30-yards. Shoot six arrows standing on the ground and then shoot six from 15-feet up. With all, hold dead center of the kill zone. Will the difference in height put any of the arrows out of the kill zone if you hold dead center? Obviously, a shot right under you would be a different story but most should not take that shot anyway.

The thing is, we are talking about hitting a cantaloupe, not a dime.

#3298922 - 07/22/13 04:24 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: MattR]
Jarred525
8 Point

Loc: Giles Tennessee

Originally Posted By: MattR
Thanks bowriter. I am going to do that this year. I started bowhunting last year and it took me a while to get to where I was consistent. I think this happened for a few reasons, me being right handed and left eye dominant, no experience with a bow, and poor technique, and poor practice habits. The only thing I can't change of those is my eye dominance. I think that sounds like a good plan. My only obstacle is I really only have one place beside my house where I can shoot. It is between me and my neighbors house in my front yard but it has protection all the way around. I think I can make it out to a few ranges though.
I am left eye dominate as well. Going to try IQ bowsight with no peep this year. Will see if this helps my consistency issue.

#3298935 - 07/22/13 04:34 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Go out in your yard or someplace safe and place a target at 30-yards. Shoot six arrows standing on the ground and then shoot six from 15-feet up. With all, hold dead center of the kill zone. Will the difference in height put any of the arrows out of the kill zone if you hold dead center? Obviously, a shot right under you would be a different story but most should not take that shot anyway.

Bowriter,

Quite a few bowhunters these days, myself included, hunt from heights greater than 25 feet. With an average archery kill of 17 yards (at least, that is what I have read), from an elevated position of 20-30 feet, will certainly make a difference of angle. So, yes, hunting from 12-15 feet and shooting at ~25-30 yards won't make much of a differance, shooting from 25 feet up at horizontal distance of 17 yards will make a difference.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3298953 - 07/22/13 05:00 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Poser]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Yea, that is one of the questions I have poser. I mean my bow is the same pin out to 25-30 yds. Last year I practiced not only from height but from the actual climbing stand that I was using and could tell a difference on where I was hitting because of my elevation. I want to be as comfortable in my stand as I am on ground. I think Bowriters practice would be great practice for getting you comfortable and confident.

#3298955 - 07/22/13 05:01 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Poser]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Bowriter,

Quite a few bowhunters these days, myself included, hunt from heights greater than 25 feet. With an average archery kill of 17 yards (at least, that is what I have read), from an elevated position of 20-30 feet, will certainly make a difference of angle. So, yes, hunting from 12-15 feet and shooting at ~25-30 yards won't make much of a differance, shooting from 25 feet up at horizontal distance of 17 yards will make a difference.

Well Poser, I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure you are right, it just never worked that way for me. Ground level, 20-feet up, I aim for the center and the arrow hits in the kill zone. Only thing I can say is, my bows were never tricked up with all sorts of gadgets. I guess it is good I never read all that technical crap. I probably would never have gotten a deer to stand still at 17-yards and for sure, I never got more than 20-feet off the ground.

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14, woodie
13110 Registered Users
Who's Online
89 registered (BIGORANGE, MoonBuzzard, DaveB, DavidP, Sea-ark, southernhunter, 10 invisible) and 90 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13110 Members
42 Forums
89113 Topics
1042237 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.214 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.