Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3298962 - 07/22/13 05:06 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Bone Collector]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
 Originally Posted By: bowriter
Somepeople get carried away with their practice stands \:\)

what is that over your head? a cone?

Its a ufo, Duh!

Edited by MattR (07/22/13 05:06 PM)

#3298967 - 07/22/13 05:11 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: MattR]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I never noticed that before. That is in Canada so no telling what it is. Might be one of Nobama's drones.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3299423 - 07/23/13 07:24 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Jarred525]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Originally Posted By: Jarred525
 Originally Posted By: MattR
Thanks bowriter. I am going to do that this year. I started bowhunting last year and it took me a while to get to where I was consistent. I think this happened for a few reasons, me being right handed and left eye dominant, no experience with a bow, and poor technique, and poor practice habits. The only thing I can't change of those is my eye dominance. I think that sounds like a good plan. My only obstacle is I really only have one place beside my house where I can shoot. It is between me and my neighbors house in my front yard but it has protection all the way around. I think I can make it out to a few ranges though.
I am left eye dominate as well. Going to try IQ bowsight with no peep this year. Will see if this helps my consistency issue.

I use the anchor sight from archery innovations, cheaper and better than the IQ IMO.

#3299518 - 07/23/13 08:39 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Jarred525]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Thanks bowriter. I am going to do that this year. I started bowhunting last year and it took me a while to get to where I was consistent. I think this happened for a few reasons, me being right handed and left eye dominant, no experience with a bow, and poor technique, and poor practice habits. The only thing I can't change of those is my eye dominance. I think that sounds like a good plan. My only obstacle is I really only have one place beside my house where I can shoot. It is between me and my neighbors house in my front yard but it has protection all the way around. I think I can make it out to a few ranges though.
I am left eye dominate as well. Going to try IQ bowsight with no peep this year. Will see if this helps my consistency issue.

Yea, I read a few things about people trying to train their right eye to be more dominant, all kinds of crazy stuff. I can shoot my bow pretty consistant using my non dominant eye. It was a pain in the butt to get sighted in, and once I did get it sighted in, I still couldn't hit good. Then I figured out it was from where I was gripping the bow. Once I loosened that hand up, I was shootin pretty good

#3299710 - 07/23/13 11:48 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Headhunter]
Jarred525
8 Point

Loc: Giles Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Headhunter

I use the anchor sight from archery innovations, cheaper and better than the IQ IMO.
Yeah, I was torn between the two. I saw reviews both ways. If I dont like IQ, will try the anchor.

#3299831 - 07/23/13 01:34 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Jarred525]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Originally Posted By: Headhunter

Yeah, I was torn between the two. I saw reviews both ways. If I dont like IQ, will try the anchor.

I looked at both also. For the difference in cost I went with Anchor sight first and have no regrets. The guy at Archery Innovation is also great to work with. I talked to IQ and was not impressed with them at all.

#3300948 - 07/24/13 03:50 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

Good advice
#3301277 - 07/24/13 09:19 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: REM7]
jlmustain
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I'll be giving this a whirl. This is my first year with a bow. What would y'all say is the minimum draw weight for trustworthy penetration? And is there a way to check the draw weight without a bow-scale?

#3301319 - 07/24/13 09:54 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: jlmustain]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

Originally Posted By: jlmustain
I'll be giving this a whirl. This is my first year with a bow. What would y'all say is the minimum draw weight for trustworthy penetration? And is there a way to check the draw weight without a bow-scale?

The deer couldn't care less what your draw weight is. My last 2 bows have had the same draw weight, but the newer one shot 30 fps faster. The only impact that makes is to your muscles. Kinetic energy is what you're after. You could perhaps use this as a guide.
http://www.eastonarchery.com/store/kinetic_calculator
Kinetic energy is made up of both mass and velocity. If you play around with that calculator, you can understand the contribution of each.

And no, you need some sort of gauge to tell you how much force it takes to draw your bow. I suppose you could mount it horizontally and hang weights from the string. I don't want to be in the same room when you do though. ;\)

Good luck this fall!

#3301353 - 07/24/13 10:31 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: jlmustain]
Hoss
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville , TN

Originally Posted By: jlmustain

It will depend on the bow. As a benchmark about 35-40lbs. I know a couple of bowhunters who shoot bows in the 25lb range and have gotten full pass throughs. So it really depends on the performance of the bow, how well tuned your arrows are and the all important shot placement. Broadheads are a larger consideration at light poundage than on heavier poundage.

Take your bow into a shop and let them check the weight for you. You can't select the right arrow if you don't know what weight you are pulling. Older bows need more poundage to get the energy you need. Newer bows are more efficient and get more energy out of the bow and into the arrow.

Instead of spending more time hijacking bowriters thread I will let it go at that for now. If you want more info, send me a message or post a new topic.

John bending at the waist is what helps you hit what your aiming at from an elevated position. You are doing it. If the target were at 10 yards and you don't bend at the waist, you will shoot high. Bend at the waist and spit the canteloupe. \:D

A mere shadow of the man I once was... Me!

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
107 registered (348Winchester, Diehard Hunter, luvtohunt, rastubbs, leader, NBF7240, 11 invisible) and 158 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96013 Topics
1124289 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.077 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.