Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3298781 - 07/22/13 02:12 PM Some Probably Unwanted Advice...
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I first started shooting a bow with intentions of hunting about 1966. Since then, I have shot quite a few arrows, killed quite a few deer and learned one heck of a lot about archery and bowhunting.

I figure there may be some entry level arrow flingers on here. Thought I might pass on a couple real simple tips that evolved from mistakes I made and see being made.

Both of these deal with practice. The two largest mistakes I see are shooting too much and shooting too little. So, how many arrows are enough, how many too little?The answer to both questions depends on your level of expertise.

1-If this is your first year or so to try bowhunting, I suggest about 25-arrows a day from now until the season ends. All arrows should be shot from varied distances from 10-40 yards and the shooter should quit on a good shot, not a bad one. Of course, you can shoot 50-times. That isn't the point. The idea is to shoot without thinking and without being the least tired. You are not going to pull back on a deer with a tired arm.

2-If you have some experience under your belt, 6-12 times/day is enough and often, as the season approaches, one is plenty if done correctly.

How do you practice? I have seen tons of articles advising you shoot from an elevated platform. I have tried it, done it and have never seen one iota of advantage to it. Not one whit better than standing on terra firma. However, I strongly advise shooting some each day while seated. I estimate 85% of the deer I have killed, I was seated when I shot.

Here are two programs that work. (1)Assuming you only have one target, walk randomly through the area sticking arrows in the ground now and then at random distances. Now run in a wide circle enough to get slightly out of breath. Approach your first arrow, nock it and allow yourself five seconds to draw and shoot. Then, run to the second arrow and repeat etc. Remember, 5-seconds...no more.

(2)By your back door or wherever it works best, leave one arrow. During the first few minutes of each day, shoot that arrow at a target. Each night, move the target to a different distance and angle. Do that every morning for two weeks prior to the season.

Remember this: You are not trying for a tight group. Groups don't mean jack in bowhunting. Your goal is to simply hit the kill zone, the first shot, every shot. The kill zone is the size of a cantaloupe. That is what matters.

That is all that matters.

I have shown these two methods to dozens of bowhunters over the years. I have yet to have one tell they don't work if they stick with it.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3298784 - 07/22/13 02:15 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Good tips!

#3298788 - 07/22/13 02:17 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Remember this: You are not trying for a tight group. Groups don't mean jack in bowhunting. Your goal is to simply hit the kill zone, the first shot, every shot. The kill zone is the size of a cantaloupe. That is what matters.

That is all that matters.

Yep.

#3298809 - 07/22/13 02:47 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Beekeeper]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Somepeople get carried away with their practice stands \:\)

#3298813 - 07/22/13 02:50 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Quite a few years ago: 50% letoff, one sight pin set at 25-yards, fingers and still wearing ASAT. I used four of the five seconds alloted. The shot was 26-yards, he went 45-yards.

#3298821 - 07/22/13 02:58 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Quite a few years ago: 50% letoff, one sight pin set at 25-yards, fingers and still wearing ASAT. I used four of the five seconds alloted. The shot was 26-yards, he went 45-yards.

Nice buck BW!

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3298822 - 07/22/13 02:58 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Beekeeper]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Thanks bowriter. I am going to do that this year. I started bowhunting last year and it took me a while to get to where I was consistent. I think this happened for a few reasons, me being right handed and left eye dominant, no experience with a bow, and poor technique, and poor practice habits. The only thing I can't change of those is my eye dominance. I think that sounds like a good plan. My only obstacle is I really only have one place beside my house where I can shoot. It is between me and my neighbors house in my front yard but it has protection all the way around. I think I can make it out to a few ranges though.

Edited by MattR (07/22/13 02:58 PM)

#3298829 - 07/22/13 03:03 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: MattR]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Off eye dominance can often be overcome by simply shooting with both eyes open. My son has the same problem and that is what he does. Try it for a while, takles some getting use to.

#3298846 - 07/22/13 03:19 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
MattR
8 Point

I actually just started closing my left eye anyways and had to adjust my sights big time but finally got it on point. I thought it might make a difference the further away my shot it but it doesn't seem to. That never crossed my mind or I would of just bought a left handed bow

#3298851 - 07/22/13 03:24 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: MattR]
tickweed
12 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

good info

#3298866 - 07/22/13 03:36 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: tickweed]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Unfortunately, nothing could help me shoot a bow well! \:\(

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3298889 - 07/22/13 03:52 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

How do you practice? I have seen tons of articles advising you shoot from an elevated platform. I have tried it, done it and have never seen one iota of advantage to it. Not one whit better than standing on terra firma.

I have to ask, Bowriter: How did you arrive at this conclusion? If a hunter bowhunts from a elevated position 75% to, in quite a few cases, 100% of the time, would it not follow that the more experience you have shooting from elevated angles, the more arrows you will consistently put through the kill zone? From an angle, the "kill zone" is two dimensional requiring adjustments for angle.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3298898 - 07/22/13 03:59 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Poser]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Good tips for sure. my issue is i can;t shoot int eh backyard and hardly have time to go out every night let alone 2x a week to shoot.

I shoot when i can, but have always wanted to shoot more...

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3298903 - 07/22/13 04:00 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Bone Collector
14 Point

what is that over your head? a cone?

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3298911 - 07/22/13 04:08 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BSK
Unfortunately, nothing could help me shoot a bow well! \:\(

This is true and I have no idea why. It isn't rocket surgery.

#3298912 - 07/22/13 04:12 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Poser]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Poser

How do you practice? I have seen tons of articles advising you shoot from an elevated platform. I have tried it, done it and have never seen one iota of advantage to it. Not one whit better than standing on terra firma.

I have to ask, Bowriter: How did you arrive at this conclusion? If a hunter bowhunts from a elevated position 75% to, in quite a few cases, 100% of the time, would it not follow that the more experience you have shooting from elevated angles, the more arrows you will consistently put through the kill zone? From an angle, the "kill zone" is two dimensional requiring adjustments for angle.

Go out in your yard or someplace safe and place a target at 30-yards. Shoot six arrows standing on the ground and then shoot six from 15-feet up. With all, hold dead center of the kill zone. Will the difference in height put any of the arrows out of the kill zone if you hold dead center? Obviously, a shot right under you would be a different story but most should not take that shot anyway.

The thing is, we are talking about hitting a cantaloupe, not a dime.

#3298922 - 07/22/13 04:24 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: MattR]
Jarred525
8 Point

Loc: Giles Tennessee

Originally Posted By: MattR
Thanks bowriter. I am going to do that this year. I started bowhunting last year and it took me a while to get to where I was consistent. I think this happened for a few reasons, me being right handed and left eye dominant, no experience with a bow, and poor technique, and poor practice habits. The only thing I can't change of those is my eye dominance. I think that sounds like a good plan. My only obstacle is I really only have one place beside my house where I can shoot. It is between me and my neighbors house in my front yard but it has protection all the way around. I think I can make it out to a few ranges though.
I am left eye dominate as well. Going to try IQ bowsight with no peep this year. Will see if this helps my consistency issue.

#3298935 - 07/22/13 04:34 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Go out in your yard or someplace safe and place a target at 30-yards. Shoot six arrows standing on the ground and then shoot six from 15-feet up. With all, hold dead center of the kill zone. Will the difference in height put any of the arrows out of the kill zone if you hold dead center? Obviously, a shot right under you would be a different story but most should not take that shot anyway.

Bowriter,

Quite a few bowhunters these days, myself included, hunt from heights greater than 25 feet. With an average archery kill of 17 yards (at least, that is what I have read), from an elevated position of 20-30 feet, will certainly make a difference of angle. So, yes, hunting from 12-15 feet and shooting at ~25-30 yards won't make much of a differance, shooting from 25 feet up at horizontal distance of 17 yards will make a difference.

#3298953 - 07/22/13 05:00 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Poser]
MattR
8 Point

Yea, that is one of the questions I have poser. I mean my bow is the same pin out to 25-30 yds. Last year I practiced not only from height but from the actual climbing stand that I was using and could tell a difference on where I was hitting because of my elevation. I want to be as comfortable in my stand as I am on ground. I think Bowriters practice would be great practice for getting you comfortable and confident.

#3298955 - 07/22/13 05:01 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Poser]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Bowriter,

Quite a few bowhunters these days, myself included, hunt from heights greater than 25 feet. With an average archery kill of 17 yards (at least, that is what I have read), from an elevated position of 20-30 feet, will certainly make a difference of angle. So, yes, hunting from 12-15 feet and shooting at ~25-30 yards won't make much of a differance, shooting from 25 feet up at horizontal distance of 17 yards will make a difference.

Well Poser, I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure you are right, it just never worked that way for me. Ground level, 20-feet up, I aim for the center and the arrow hits in the kill zone. Only thing I can say is, my bows were never tricked up with all sorts of gadgets. I guess it is good I never read all that technical crap. I probably would never have gotten a deer to stand still at 17-yards and for sure, I never got more than 20-feet off the ground.

#3298962 - 07/22/13 05:06 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Bone Collector]
MattR
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector

what is that over your head? a cone?

Its a ufo, Duh!

Edited by MattR (07/22/13 05:06 PM)

#3298967 - 07/22/13 05:11 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: MattR]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I never noticed that before. That is in Canada so no telling what it is. Might be one of Nobama's drones.

#3299423 - 07/23/13 07:24 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Jarred525]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Originally Posted By: Jarred525
I am left eye dominate as well. Going to try IQ bowsight with no peep this year. Will see if this helps my consistency issue.

I use the anchor sight from archery innovations, cheaper and better than the IQ IMO.

#3299518 - 07/23/13 08:39 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Jarred525]
MattR
8 Point

Yea, I read a few things about people trying to train their right eye to be more dominant, all kinds of crazy stuff. I can shoot my bow pretty consistant using my non dominant eye. It was a pain in the butt to get sighted in, and once I did get it sighted in, I still couldn't hit good. Then I figured out it was from where I was gripping the bow. Once I loosened that hand up, I was shootin pretty good

#3299710 - 07/23/13 11:48 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Headhunter]
Jarred525
8 Point

Loc: Giles Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Headhunter

I use the anchor sight from archery innovations, cheaper and better than the IQ IMO.
Yeah, I was torn between the two. I saw reviews both ways. If I dont like IQ, will try the anchor.

#3299831 - 07/23/13 01:34 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Jarred525]
Headhunter
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Headhunter

Yeah, I was torn between the two. I saw reviews both ways. If I dont like IQ, will try the anchor.

I looked at both also. For the difference in cost I went with Anchor sight first and have no regrets. The guy at Archery Innovation is also great to work with. I talked to IQ and was not impressed with them at all.

#3300948 - 07/24/13 03:50 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

Good advice
#3301277 - 07/24/13 09:19 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: REM7]
jlmustain
6 Point

I'll be giving this a whirl. This is my first year with a bow. What would y'all say is the minimum draw weight for trustworthy penetration? And is there a way to check the draw weight without a bow-scale?

#3301319 - 07/24/13 09:54 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: jlmustain]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

Originally Posted By: jlmustain
I'll be giving this a whirl. This is my first year with a bow. What would y'all say is the minimum draw weight for trustworthy penetration? And is there a way to check the draw weight without a bow-scale?

The deer couldn't care less what your draw weight is. My last 2 bows have had the same draw weight, but the newer one shot 30 fps faster. The only impact that makes is to your muscles. Kinetic energy is what you're after. You could perhaps use this as a guide.
http://www.eastonarchery.com/store/kinetic_calculator
Kinetic energy is made up of both mass and velocity. If you play around with that calculator, you can understand the contribution of each.

And no, you need some sort of gauge to tell you how much force it takes to draw your bow. I suppose you could mount it horizontally and hang weights from the string. I don't want to be in the same room when you do though. ;\)

Good luck this fall!

#3301353 - 07/24/13 10:31 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: jlmustain]
Hoss
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville , TN

Originally Posted By: jlmustain

It will depend on the bow. As a benchmark about 35-40lbs. I know a couple of bowhunters who shoot bows in the 25lb range and have gotten full pass throughs. So it really depends on the performance of the bow, how well tuned your arrows are and the all important shot placement. Broadheads are a larger consideration at light poundage than on heavier poundage.

Take your bow into a shop and let them check the weight for you. You can't select the right arrow if you don't know what weight you are pulling. Older bows need more poundage to get the energy you need. Newer bows are more efficient and get more energy out of the bow and into the arrow.

Instead of spending more time hijacking bowriters thread I will let it go at that for now. If you want more info, send me a message or post a new topic.

John bending at the waist is what helps you hit what your aiming at from an elevated position. You are doing it. If the target were at 10 yards and you don't bend at the waist, you will shoot high. Bend at the waist and spit the canteloupe. \:D

A mere shadow of the man I once was... Me!

#3301362 - 07/24/13 11:24 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Hoss]
jlmustain
6 Point

I'm tuned for the current draw weight/arrows. We went through that when I bought it at the bow counter at Murfreesboro Outdoors. I'm right where I want to be at 20 and 30, but my back yard isn't big enough to test further. My wife got me a 3D archery buck for my birthday, and I'm still pleased with my accuracy. I guess I just over think things. I got to wondering the other day whether or not the draw weight was set too low for pass-through. Seeing that 35 lb. is a low-mark, though, makes me feel better because I know it's higher than that. It's set as low as the bolts will safely let it go, but it's a 70 lb. bow, so I don't think it would even go down to 35.

#3301530 - 07/25/13 07:54 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: jlmustain]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Dont worry about angles or tree stand height. If you know where the vitals are and you shoot knowing where you arrow will exit the angle is not an issue.
#3301608 - 07/25/13 08:50 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Fordman]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Hoss is right, the real info missing here is to BEND AT THE WAIST from an elevated stand and you will be ok, if not you WILL shoot high! With a good setup and good shot placement not much poundage is needed, as my 12 yr old passed completely through all 4 he shot that year while pulling 37 lbs.
#3301880 - 07/25/13 01:39 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Winchester]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Here is how you determine draw weight. It is so simple. Just sit down. Now, the highest weight you can comfortably... COMFORTABLY draw while seated is what you should shoot. It does not matter what that weight is.

Also: The best bow you can ever shoot is the bow you shoot the best. It does not matter what brand it is.

Now, simply buy the the arrows that bow shoots the best. Put whatever head on them you like and that shoot well. Your hunting head should be of the same weight as your field points.

You are now properly equipped to go hunting. As far as your bow and arrows are concerned, nothing else matters, no matter what anyone may tell you.

#3302534 - 07/26/13 07:03 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Headhunter
10 Point

One thing I do and have done for close to 30 years, I almost never shoot field points, barely even own any. I shoot broadheads only. That solves any "tuning" problems if you do nothing but hunt and never shoot tournaments.

#3302552 - 07/26/13 07:26 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Headhunter]
MattR
8 Point

Oh yea! had the bow out for the last 3 days and it feels good. I am rusty some but I think part of it may be my arrows. I think one is off or something because it keep shooting high, the vanes on it are different maybe thats it, I don't know. But I'm starting to get back in the groove of it. I'm getting my kill shots though. Thats what matters

#3302785 - 07/26/13 10:38 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

Here is how you determine draw weight. It is so simple. Just sit down. Now, the highest weight you can comfortably... COMFORTABLY draw while seated is what you should shoot. It does not matter what that weight is.

Here is an article supporting your opinion (and mine, too). \:\)
http://www.petersenshunting.com/2011/09/12/determining-your-correct-draw-weight/

#3302805 - 07/26/13 10:50 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: infoman jr.]
scope eye
8 Point

Loc: martin

About 2:00 a.m. on opening morning, I take my one practice shot for the year, while half asleep and still in my pj's. Crossbow is still dialed in. Time to go hunting.

#3302977 - 07/26/13 01:26 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: scope eye]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

As long as they keep using good looking women in tank tops for the Shooting pics, men will never be able to remember how to determine anything without looking at next yrs informative article! ;\)
#3302985 - 07/26/13 01:33 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Winchester]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: Winchester
Hoss is right, the real info missing here is to BEND AT THE WAIST from an elevated stand and you will be ok, if not you WILL shoot high! With a good setup and good shot placement not much poundage is needed, as my 12 yr old passed completely through all 4 he shot that year while pulling 37 lbs.

Why is this? Never heard of bending at the waist from a stand.I have noticed shooting a little higher up than I was aiming on several occasions though

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3303577 - 07/27/13 07:07 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

To over simplify.... Next time your in a stand shoot an arrow without bending at the waist and watch how dropping your arm pulls your peep and or sights away from your face thus changing your sight picture and point of impact. Then bend at the waist and note your peep, sight and the alignment does not change thus making the arrow point of impact the same as practice shots from the ground.
90% of my practice, and I practice all year, is from the ground, The only time I actually practice from a stand is when I am practicing in all my hunting gear and focusing on entering and exiting a stand safely.

#3304057 - 07/27/13 06:09 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Fordman]
Recoil
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

I appreciate the skill and time required for traditional bow hunting. Since I no longer have the time or motivation to spend countless hours practicing--I love my crossbow with a scope and deadly accuracy at 40+ yards with two or three days of practice. Some say that is not "real" bow hunting. Others say using a compound bow or anything other than a long bow isn't "real" bow hunting either.
#3304461 - 07/28/13 08:14 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Recoil]
Deck78
6 Point

Loc: hipster hollow

To the original post by bowriter, thanks for taking the time to pass along some hard earned knowledge! I clearly need to practice more from a seated position

#3304474 - 07/28/13 08:25 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Deck78]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Most bow hunters do. Trust me, it will keep you from spooking a lot of deer and you may find as I did, you shoot more accurately sitting down.

#3304526 - 07/28/13 09:20 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

This is how I bowhunt. Its sort of sitting down, though, you still transfer a lot of torque to your feet when drawing back. As far as "bending at the waist", I've never thought about and its never been a problem. I suppose I do bend at the waist some, but I also drop my arm, especially since I tend to hunt higher than 25 feet. I have never bowhunted from a conventional stand.

#3304627 - 07/28/13 11:54 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Poser]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I could hunt like that for about three minutes.

#3304644 - 07/28/13 12:25 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I could hunt like that for about three minutes.

It's hunting, not sex, Bowriter \:D

#3304706 - 07/28/13 02:05 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: bowriter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

You are not going to pull back on a deer with a tired arm.

Other than this, agree with everything you said. \:\)

But I've found a similar effect to "tired" arms, i.e. "weakened" ones, from three common culprits:

1) More clothing being worn when hunting than when practicing on a warm day. Heavier clothing increases the resistance of bending your pulling arm. And it's not just regarding the clothing on that arm, as it's also the clothing on your entire upper body when you torque your clothing while pulling your bow. Try pulling back while sitting in a pair of insulated coveralls that are just a little tight!

2) Cold.
We lose some of our strength as we "get cold".

3) Shooting down at steep angles (and am assuming you don't have the opportunity to point your bow up as you draw). Having to additionally pull the weight of your arm (several pounds) can effectively add 5 to 10 lbs of draw weight. Compound this with extra clothing and cold, and you may not be able to pull your bow as a trophy buck stands right below you. Never mind that you could easily pull that bow, even while sitting, back in the summer.

#3307452 - 07/31/13 09:34 AM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Wes Parrish]
bowriter
Non-Typical

So Wes, are you saying we should all get our arms tired and then practice shooting? Only BSK could come up with that idea. What you need to practice is what to wear and how to draw when you wear it. In addition, you need to practice shooting while sitting outside in your skivvies during a blizzard.

Perhaps we should also try and bluff a train with our ATV's. (That is added for BSK)

\:\)

Seriously, I use to back my bow off 8-10 pounds when hunting in brutal cold up Nawth. I usually carried twin bows, one set at 72, the other at 62-65. I never needed the "light" bow in the South but often used it in Canady and the upper Midwest. I also spent some time shooting in heavy, insulated coveralls and learning just how to wrap tape around the left sleeve and chest to avoid string interference. However, as I said, I never needed that here.

Those are tips for another thread. There are dozens of little things you pick up when you travel and hunt 100+ days a year with a bow. The single very best was carrying two identical bows whenever possible. Until I sold Catman one of mine last year, I still had identical bows just in case my shoulder came back. I now know it won't but just can't make myself part with the "favorite".

In 40-years of bowhunting, there are so many things I learned that I just assumed everybody knew. I should write a book, "150-of the Best Bowhunting Secrets and Tips". Example, the oil off you nose and forehead is the best cable guard/slide lubricant you can use.

\:\)

#3307927 - 07/31/13 04:45 PM Re: Some Probably Unwanted Advice... [Re: Poser]
MattR
8 Point

This is how I bowhunt. Its sort of sitting down, though, you still transfer a lot of torque to your feet when drawing back. As far as "bending at the waist", I've never thought about and its never been a problem. I suppose I do bend at the waist some, but I also drop my arm, especially since I tend to hunt higher than 25 feet. I have never bowhunted from a conventional stand.

That is pretty dang cool. What kind of climbing rig is that? When I went to cold weather medicine/ mountain medicine course in the military we had something that looked kind of like that.

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
33 registered (hinshm, downthebrown, splatter, Yotekiller011, 74MOPAR, moondawg, 3 invisible) and 94 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99607 Topics
1171894 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.065 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.