Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3295884 - 07/19/13 10:50 AM Detroits troubles "Whitey's Fault"
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

All along, the state’s involvement — including Mr. Snyder’s decision to send in an emergency manager — has carried racial implications, setting off a wave of concerns for some in Detroit that the mostly white Republican-led state government was trying to seize control of Detroit, a Democratic city where more than 80 percent of residents are black.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/us/bre...wanted=all&_r=0

#3295943 - 07/19/13 12:08 PM Re: Detroits troubles "Whitey's Fault" [Re: Crappie Luck]
TennesseeRains
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Hixson,TN

Had a lib tell me that I contributed to Detroit's demise because of buying my Toyota Camry 13 years ago that has 296,000 miles on it. I then showed him my Dodge Durango.

Of course, my Squaw has the Saturn - but I don't bring government motors up as I am ashamed of having one. \:D
I don't always eat meat but when I do I prefer deer. Stay hungry my friends-nbforrest#3

To be fair, we can now blame everything on everything else-Wildcat

A nation of sheep breeds a gov't of wolves

#3295955 - 07/19/13 12:27 PM Re: Detroits troubles "Whitey's Fault" [Re: TennesseeRains]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

Public corruption cases keep piling up in a notoriously shady U.S. city that has seen its scandal-plagued mayor go to prison for a multitude of crimes, a deputy mayor and prominent city councilwoman each plead guilty to bribery in different schemes and several public school employees charged with numerous felonies for embezzling education funds.

In the latest scandal to rock Detroit, a top aide (DeDan Milton) of the city’s criminal felon mayor (Kwame Kilpatrick) has been federally indicted with multiple counts of bribery and extortion for taking kickbacks involving the sale of city-owned properties. Milton is actually the brother of the deputy mayor, Kandia Milton, who just a month ago pleaded guilty for orchestrating the illegal arrangement.

The unscrupulous and politically-connected brothers split a $50,000 bribe paid in exchange for their recommendation that the Detroit City Council approve a $3.5 million sale of a 160-acre parcel. A Detroit Police officer has also been implicated in the affair, which involves the Chaldean Catholic Church.

This simply marks the latest chapter in famously crooked Detroit City Hall politics. In the last few years alone, several city council members and even a police chief have been indicted, arrested or imprisoned and countless others have been federally investigated for wrongdoing.

Kilpatrick, who was mayor for six years, has the longest rap sheet. The self-described “Hip-Hop” mayor got charged with nearly a dozen felonies before going to prison. Most stemmed from lying under oath at a police whistleblower trial to hide an extramarital affair with a city staffer. The cops had been wrongfully fired for asking questions that could have exposed the mayor’s undercover romance and Kilpatrick orchestrated a secret city deal to pay the officers nearly $9 million to shut up. Details of the scandalous settlement were only made public after a local newspaper filed a public records lawsuit.

Less than a year later, a veteran city councilwoman who happens to be married to the Michigan Democrat (John Conyers) that chairs the House Judiciary Committee got busted for taking bribes. Capping a lengthy federal investigation, Monica Conyers finally admitted that she took bribes from a developer to change her vote on a major city contract. She is scheduled to be sentenced in March and faces up to five years in jail.

Weeks later five officials from the cash-strapped Detroit Public School system, long known as a cesspool of fraud and mismanagement, got criminally charged for operating an illegal scheme in which they openly stole tens of thousands of dollars from the system, took illegal kickbacks and paid friends who never did any work for the district.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2010/01/detroit-corruption-keeps-piling/

#3295959 - 07/19/13 12:29 PM Re: Detroits troubles "Whitey's Fault" [Re: preds1]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

The city’s decline is a symbol of failure, both of business and government.

First, other states, counties and cities with huge public employee pension debts will face tougher scrutiny from now on. Detroit’s bankruptcy plan would pay retirees pennies on the dollars as a way of getting out from its debt. Other creditors will suffer as well. For years, Detroit has been spending $100 million more than it takes with each budget.

Second, the city had a one-party government that grew fat, corrupt and incompetent. But year after year, even decade after decade, the voters kept re-electing the same crooked politicians. Signs of incompetence and corruption abounded. A long-time mayor went to jail after a newspaper spent years piecing together his trail of corruption. Another newspaper revealed how officials robbed city departments of funds so thoroughly that inspected fire hydrants routinely failed to produce water and police couldn’t answer 911 calls. In one terrible example, firefighters responding to an apartment fire had to watch pleading residents die, because the ladders on their trucks didn’t work. Yet the officials were re-elected and federal money poured in, only to disappear.

Finally, the city started its downward slide because its prime industry, the Big Three auto companies, fought change and enforced a corporate conformity that stifled growth.

It’s a sad tale indeed. But it is one we must pay heed to.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20...orruption-hurts

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  gtk, Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (excalhunter) and 44 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.