Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3293481 - 07/16/13 09:00 PM Re: Brainstorming [Re: nodog]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: nodog
To me a quite approach is the key. Getting to the tree I want to climb silently is the difference between seeing deer and not seeing deer. Once I get to the tree creeping up the tree is just a matter of taking every step seriously no matter what I'm using to get to the top.

By the looks of that rig climbing could take a lot of effort, not good when climbing silently already takes a lot of effort.

If I had to pack in, your idea is worth more than a few tries to perfect. No metal noises with that setup, but wouldn't a climber be better?

I hate the design of climbers. I owned one for a few months once, never actually hunted out of it, promptly traded it for a Muzzleloader. When I started hunting, I looked around at various stand designs, thought they were all terribly designed, awkward, heavy, loud, limited by tree size, angle and branches, too low to the ground etc

From my first season deer hunting, I went with a Tree Saddle and never looked back -won't use anything else until I see something that is as versatile. Granted, a harness system, like the aforementioned climbing system, is not for everyone. Your hunting style may not even need that kind of versatility. For me, though, I'm not carrying a bulky hunk of metal around on my back, I refuse to be limited to certain trees because of size, lean, or branches, I want to be able to seamlessly shoot 360 degrees, I like having the tree in front of me rather than behind me and, coming from a climbing background, I'm just more comfortable in a harness than sitting/standing on a platform. It is a more natural and secure feeling for me.

I think that the R&D of companies that make treestands are very limited in scope of what they can present to the market because hunters are rigidly committed to notion of conventional designs when it comes to climbing and hunting from trees. My thinking has always been combine aspects of rock climbing with aspects of the tree arborists and the needs of the elevated hunter and you come up with more versatile and forward thinking types of designs.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3293855 - 07/17/13 10:41 AM Re: Brainstorming [Re: Poser]
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

So doing some more research I came accross an old thread where they talked about climbing without any tree steps. Basic concept is with a Tree Saddle or Guido's Web and a sling or as some have found an Ertrier or other Aide works a little better and faster. Basically you work it similar to a climber. You take your top anchor point attach to the tree as high as you can reach, attach your Ertrier right below, climb up, slide your top anchor up, sit down in your saddle/GW, reach down and slide your aide up as high as you can reach and repeat (alot more technical than that, but the basic concept). Carrying an extra sling or two would allow you to manuever around limbs fairly easily and with a little practice I could see being at hunting height in 10-12 minutes taking your time and not working up too much of a sweat.

I like your thinking Poser, I think with a little tweaking and experimenting I can come up with a system that I do not dread packing in the woods.

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#3295890 - 07/19/13 10:59 AM Re: Brainstorming [Re: thetoolman]
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

Poser, been doing some more research and found 2 other systems similar to the tree saddle.

Guido's Web
and
New Tribe Aero - http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=131

Both are pretty pricey, but really contemplating one or the other and using a sling system or aide system for climbing. Wondering about comfort though.

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#3295927 - 07/19/13 11:38 AM Re: Brainstorming [Re: thetoolman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

That Aero hunting system looks well thought out to me. It is expensive, but many hunters own multiple lock ons, climbers, sticks and ladder stands etc. I think comfort would be fine, it just takes some time, 3-5 hunts to get your system dialed into be comfortable. You are essentially "sitting in" the harness not "hanging in" it, which is why most people think that it "looks" uncomfortable.

#3295940 - 07/19/13 12:05 PM Re: Brainstorming [Re: Poser]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

I have the Guido's Web. I got it late last season and hunted out of it one time and got my first bow kill out of it. It is not a very light system, but it's super comfortable and can actually serve as a backpack of sorts to carry extra clothes and gear to your stand. I will be doing much of my treestand hunting with it this season. With the Guido's Web I carry rope on tree steps in an ultra light chest pack.

#3296001 - 07/19/13 01:22 PM Re: Brainstorming [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I asked one of my buddies who has experimented with multiple systems about that Aero design. Here's what he said:

A couple of years ago, when I was still experimenting with my Trophyline, I bought a New Tribe Tengu Harness arborist saddle (link below) to try out and see how it compared.

http://www.wesspur.com/saddles/new-tribe-saddles.html

It looks almost identical to the one in your link.

IT SUCKED!!!!!

When you weight the saddle with your feet on your platform and your knees against the tree, the leg straps put so much tension on the back of your legs that is becomes extremely uncomfortable within minutes. The waist belt is also extremely uncomfortable as well. You need support over your entire butt, upper legs and lower back in order to evenly distribute your weight and not get uncomfortable. They are not designed to be used in a reclined standing position. You need to be completely seated, like sitting in a hammock with your legs hanging over the side but not touching the ground. When you try to extend your legs to reach for the ground / platform, it cuts off the circulation. I spoke with their tech rep over the phone to make sure I had it adjusted correctly and was using it properly. It's just not designed for that setup. I didn't like it at all and gave up on that notion pretty quickly. I would consider it again if there was a local distributor that had a bunch of models that I could try before I buy. But most of them are not applicable because they have way to much necessary metal hanging off them and you'd never get them quiet.

$325 is pretty steep for a saddle that doesn't have any bells and whistles. Look at the prices of some of the more extravagant ones on the website above. The Tengu that I purchases was $200.

Tree Saddle still seems far superior. -too bad they are next to impossible to find these days.

#3311049 - 08/03/13 08:39 PM Re: Brainstorming [Re: thetoolman]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

First time I've seen this method. Simple, but slow. No heavy steps or sticks required, though, which is nice. Wouldn't work with a hang on, but would work with a Tree Saddle or Guido's Web type of stand.

simple climb

#3311090 - 08/03/13 09:13 PM Re: Brainstorming [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
First time I've seen this method. Simple, but slow. No heavy steps or sticks required, though, which is nice. Wouldn't work with a hang on, but would work with a Tree Saddle or Guido's Web type of stand.

simple climb

-watched 1 minute. WAY too slow.

#3311206 - 08/04/13 06:02 AM Re: Brainstorming [Re: Poser]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Poser
Tree Saddle still seems far superior. -too bad they are next to impossible to find these days.

There's one in the classified forum, right now. Going to eBay tomorrow.
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3304614&page=5#Post3304614

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14, woodie
13110 Registered Users
Who's Online
33 registered (turkeyhuntr4, bigtex, Tenn.Guy, rabbit hunter, tasaman, Mike D) and 57 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13110 Members
42 Forums
89106 Topics
1042157 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.267 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.