Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3295022 - 07/18/13 02:33 PM Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless???
RidgeRunner13
4 Point

Loc: Claxton, TN

Hey y'all. This is my first post on here, and I have a question or two for you gentlemen. I've been shooting a tubed peep sight for years and after shooting today I really started considering switching to a tubeless peep. What are cons of the tubeless, and what do y'all recommend? I'm hearing the rubber slap more and more, and frankly, I'm tired of dealing with replacing tubing. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
#3295038 - 07/18/13 02:52 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: RidgeRunner13]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

About the only con to a tubeless peep is the fact that it MIGHT not draw back straight everytime you pull your bow back. If you have a pre-stretched string, you shouldn't have many problems with this until your string gets older. I shoot a G5 Meta Peep in green. I have the 1/4" aperture so it lets in a lot of light. Love my peep. For $10, it's worth a try.

#3295042 - 07/18/13 02:56 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: redheadshooter]
RidgeRunner13
4 Point

I plan on changing the peep next month when I get the cable and string changed. So I'll keep that in mind on my string selection. You're right for $10 bucks it is worth a shot, I just hope I like it being that close to season.
#3295046 - 07/18/13 02:59 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: RidgeRunner13]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

Yea I would say keep your old peep. You will probably have to re-sight anyways due to your new string. Hope it turns out good!

#3295059 - 07/18/13 03:32 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: redheadshooter]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

First of all, Welcome to the site! Shot a tube peep for years, but then again that was back in the day when you almost had to due to the type of string material. String material has come a very, very long way and made rotation problems almost a thing of the past. Not saying that you still can't have rotation problems, but if the serving is done right, the string is stretched properly and the peep is tied in correctly you can almost bet that the peep will do what it should do. I use for my hunting setup a 1/4" G5 meta peep, my target bow I use a 1/8".
#3295061 - 07/18/13 03:34 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: TNDeerGuy]
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

Biggest problem is rotation. That was the biggest reason I went to the tube. On my assassain I have a standard peep and it took a few times to get it setup, but mininmal rotation now.

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#3295100 - 07/18/13 04:14 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: thetoolman]
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

The strings I have from Energy Wave currently on my bow have not rotated and I've probably put 1,000 shots. I have a buddy that still shoots a tube peep regardless cause if he had a B&C buck and couldn't see cause the peep rotated well...you can imagine.
#3295176 - 07/18/13 05:25 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: UTGrad]
TheAirMan
16 Point

Loc: Moss, Tennessee

I hate tubing. I have used a 3/16 meta peep for years. With a quality string that is settled in, you should be able to set it and not worry about it for a long time as long as you don't leave the bow in a hot car or something

#3295361 - 07/18/13 08:33 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: TheAirMan]
FOX FIRE
8 Point

Loc: Mt. Eagle

gave up on the tube years ago, dont remember the brand I have now but it works great & I dont get slapped in the face every time a tube breaks & it opens up the string unuff you can see during low light hours VS a try'n to see thru a tiny peep hole.

This aint exactly the one I have but looks very simaler & he gives a good "how to" demo (despite the camera man), take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oEra18_MU4

#3295517 - 07/18/13 10:10 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: FOX FIRE]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

I shoot lubeless my tube kept breaking off. so I switched and love the tubeless.

#3295579 - 07/19/13 02:14 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: deerhunter10]
RidgeRunner13
4 Point

I'm thinking about going with the Winner's Choice strings and cable system. How are they on rotation and stretching. I've never really experimented with different strings, but I'm finally going to change it up. As far as twist for a tubeless what are the strings y'all best recommend?
#3295611 - 07/19/13 05:27 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: deerhunter10]
r'ville a-bolt
4 Point

Loc: nc graham

x2 mine kept breaking to switched to tubeless never looked back
#3295763 - 07/19/13 09:03 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: r'ville a-bolt]
switchbacker
8 Point

Loc: knoxville

1/4 g5 blue meta for me, you wont be disappointed

#3295787 - 07/19/13 09:29 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: RidgeRunner13]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Originally Posted By: RidgeRunner13
I'm thinking about going with the Winner's Choice strings and cable system. How are they on rotation and stretching. I've never really experimented with different strings, but I'm finally going to change it up. As far as twist for a tubeless what are the strings y'all best recommend?

Winner's Choice is very over-priced ($120-$130) but it is a decent string—not worth the pricetag though IMO. Every WC string set I have used has creeped on me a bit and took a short time for the string to settle to the point where the peep would hold. I would very strongly advise you to look into http://www.EnergyWaveBowstrings.com made right here in TN and a member of this forum, (fasteddie). His strings are top quality and half the price of Winner's Choice and the string is settled in less than 10 shots and creep is virtually a non-issue.

#3295829 - 07/19/13 10:07 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: TNDeerGuy]
RidgeRunner13
4 Point

Thanks TNDeerGuy. I believe I'm gonna go with the strings you recommend. I'll be placing an order within the next few weeks. Thanks again.
#3295838 - 07/19/13 10:13 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: RidgeRunner13]
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

I've got Energy Wave strings and my peep hasn't moved and the ATA and BH have remained in spec. Great strings.
#3295880 - 07/19/13 10:44 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: deerhunter10]
TNGunsmoke
8 Point

Loc: Jackson,TN

I shoot tubeless on the off chance that the tube breaks and pops me in the eye, it would really hurt...

#3295900 - 07/19/13 11:09 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: TNGunsmoke]
RidgeRunner13
4 Point

Yea, that's one of the reasons why I'm wanting to switch. That and the slap is rather loud. I just want to make my rig quieter and safer.
#3295954 - 07/19/13 12:26 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: RidgeRunner13]
TJS209
8 Point

Loc: West Tennessee, US

I use a tubeless peep and never had any problems.
#3296563 - 07/20/13 06:42 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: deerhunter10]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

Tubeless, less stuff to get me tangled up
#3297281 - 07/21/13 06:58 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: deerhunter10]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

Tubes make too much noise...I've been tubeless forever....

#3298425 - 07/22/13 09:06 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: deerhunter10]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

posted on another thread, get rid of the peep sight, get an anchor sight. I used the "no-peep" first and loved it and the anchor sight is even better. made by archery innovations.

#3301355 - 07/24/13 10:40 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: Headhunter]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

First thing I've always done after every new bow I buy before I even shoot it is put a Winners Choice on it just because of the manufacture stretching and uncooperative peep straightness. The Heli-m I bought last yr was the first time I haven't immediately purchased a after market string and now with me shooting it in 3D's I'm back to the peep problem. I have missed the last 2 shoots account of not wanting to shell out $120 for a new one. Thanks to TN Guy with his above thread my problem will now be solved.. Thanks.
#3301520 - 07/25/13 07:50 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: Poleaxe]
Headhunter
10 Point

Any bow I have owned or if I ever get a new one, gets winners choice strings and cables.

#3303888 - 07/27/13 02:56 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: UTGrad]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

Originally Posted By: UTGrad
The strings I have from Energy Wave currently on my bow have not rotated and I've probably put 1,000 shots. I have a buddy that still shoots a tube peep regardless cause if he had a B&C buck and couldn't see cause the peep rotated well...you can imagine.
I've had that problem, never a huge problem just slightly off. I just bring the peep to my mouth and finish the rotation. no big deal. Never did it hunting, only when getting things ready to hunt. He should be more worried about the tube, them things are a pain.

For the OP, do your self a favor, get a press and learn to work on your own bow. Takes trial an error to get a bow shooting like silk, with a press you can do it. The peep will change with every change.

Lets say you always shoot low, the problem could be your lower limbs are weaker that the top and on release the top limbs are pulling the nock up. Adjusting the limbs will effect the rotation of the peep, not to mention the discrepancy is creating more noise and robbing the arrow of energy. The peep will need reset and that is done twisting the string...you need a press.

When you get rid of that tube you might here noises you couldn't before, you'll want to eliminate them, a shop won't put the time and effort into the task...you need a press. I made mine out of some 60 year old cherry, served (yuk yuk yuk \:\) ) me well, but anything that holds the bow in place while pulling it down with some ratchet straps will do. Contrary to popular O it isn't rocket science even though we are shooting missiles. \:\)

#3304172 - 07/27/13 08:20 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: nodog]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Originally Posted By: nodog
 Originally Posted By: UTGrad
I've had that problem, never a huge problem just slightly off. I just bring the peep to my mouth and finish the rotation. no big deal. Never did it hunting, only when getting things ready to hunt. He should be more worried about the tube, them things are a pain.

For the OP, do your self a favor, get a press and learn to work on your own bow. Takes trial an error to get a bow shooting like silk, with a press you can do it. The peep will change with every change.

Lets say you always shoot low, the problem could be your lower limbs are weaker that the top and on release the top limbs are pulling the nock up. Adjusting the limbs will effect the rotation of the peep, not to mention the discrepancy is creating more noise and robbing the arrow of energy. The peep will need reset and that is done twisting the string...you need a press.

When you get rid of that tube you might here noises you couldn't before, you'll want to eliminate them, a shop won't put the time and effort into the task...you need a press. I made mine out of some 60 year old cherry, served (yuk yuk yuk \:\) ) me well, but anything that holds the bow in place while pulling it down with some ratchet straps will do. Contrary to popular O it isn't rocket science even though we are shooting missiles. \:\)

You are right about learning how to work on your own—almost no one will take the time like you will. However, I very strongly disagree with the last part of your post. The modern parallel limb, and beyond parallel limb, bows are very easy to damage either the limbs, the riser or other critical pieces if pressed incorrectly—the days of some ratchet straps pulling a bow down against two solid pieces have long passed and it can be very damaging to the bow and/or the user. There are several affordable, and safe options, for pressing the modern compound bow.

#3304271 - 07/27/13 10:23 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: nodog]
RidgeRunner13
4 Point

I completely understand about having my own press. I know I asked a novice question, but on the contrary I'm not a novice to working on my bow. I have a press available to me so that isn't an issue. The reason for the novice question about strings and peep are solely because of the time I quit shooting. My bow was due for a string change when I put it up before military service. I didn't have much time to shoot while I was in so it just stayed packed up. Last year I broke it back out and within two days of tuning and getting prepped for some much needed love I wrecked my motorcycle. I spent a month and half in a sling I couldn't shoot my bow. I was just curious of what everyone's opinions of the tubeless peep and which strings were recommended because now I don't have a motorcycle lol and am safe to hunt. I will definitely take your advice, but I had already planned for new noises. I'm currently setting up two of my buddies to start their first years bow hunting also. My schedule is full right now, but I would love to see some first timers be successful this season. Thank you for the advice.
#3304273 - 07/27/13 10:27 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: TNDeerGuy]
RidgeRunner13
4 Point

I definitely agree with you on that one. I've seen some horror stories unfold with improper pressing. It's a scary thought as to what some people will do to save a buck, and ruin a $700-$1000+ bow.
#3305058 - 07/28/13 08:39 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: RidgeRunner13]
Headhunter
10 Point

Problems with peep sights is why I got rid of them. Waste of money IMO. I have set several people up with the no peep and a few with the archery innvoations system and all of them wish they would have gotten rid of a peep sight years ago.

#3305109 - 07/28/13 09:10 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: Headhunter]
RidgeRunner13
4 Point

I've viewed the products you were talking about Headhunter, and I just don't think it's something I would like. I having everything working fluidly now except for the slap of my peep sight tube on my cables and strings.
#3306159 - 07/30/13 07:22 AM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: RidgeRunner13]
Headhunter
10 Point

I didn't either, but I when I first tried one (the timberline no peep) I installed it by myself. Horrible for installation is all I can say, it took me 2 hours. Learned quickly it is a 2 man job. After the 2 hour install (much quicker now, especially with the archery innovations product, measured in minutes not hours) I drew my bow back and noticed how sensitive it was. I was thinking I would never be able to shoot with it much less hunt. I went outside, finally got it to settle and shot, about 20 yards. I shot one more arrow and shot the back off of my first arrow. It only took a few shots to get the feel and now I would hate to be without it. I would not need pins but wish they made one I could put on a recurve. What so many do not understand is how many mistakes you can make with a peep sight. With the no peep products you even have to hold the bow with the same grip pressure, if you don't it will not line up. It forces you to draw and hold the same way every time.

I had many deer I never even got to shoot at because of a peep sight, tube broke, wouldn't line up, couldn't find pins, etc. None of that has ever happened with the no peep products and EARLY morning or the last few minutes of daylight it actually gets brighter.

Edited by Headhunter (07/30/13 07:24 AM)

#3327246 - 08/18/13 10:00 PM Re: Tube peep sight vs. Tubeless??? [Re: deerhunter10]
bassinbrian
4 Point

Loc: tennessee

tubless, hate the SLAP..

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (vanleerbuckbuster, Daniel Willoughby, SX3Mike, Cowman71, rsimms) and 79 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.01 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.