Tndeer Logo

Page 14 of 14 « First<1011121314
Topic Options
#3293788 - 07/17/13 09:48 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Headhunter]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
102, I hunt everywhere, from places that are jungle thick to as wide open as it gets. Mature bucks can and will show up anytime anywhere. My best bow opportunity (gun also) in my life was a giant 8 point, you wouldn't believe how big, easy 160 class deer, after I blew the shot he ran out and stood in the field til dark at about 100 yards (this was in the first week of December, rare occurrence for me, but it was a public land WMA) that came out in thue wide open about an hour before dark. I blew it is all I can say but I had been hunting the "thickets" before and I saw more deer and more bucks hunting the wide open spot than I did in the thickets that year. This place was heavily pressured and other hunters were walking by me looking at me in the tree I am sure wondering "what idiot is hunting the freshly bush hogged wide open spot" but it was being used for sure. I hunt wherever I feel I have the best chance to get an opportunity. I love the guys who say "that is to open, you will never see a good buck there in the daylight". I have killed good bucks in the some the nastiest thick crap you can imagine but I have killed some nice bucks in the wide open, with a bow inside of 10 yards.

I agree HH. And in early season, or rut, I often hunt open areas. But I still like to concentrate on pinch points. Sometimes this may mean a low point in the fence, or a blow down, or even a small terrain variation.

But without rut, and in high pressured areas, I have enjoyed my best success in thick areas with openings.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3293809 - 07/17/13 09:56 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
10 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: 102

We hunted (and would hunt if we went back to it) hard with a bow, just like we do with an MZ or gun. And that's a big reason not to go back. Why ruin the absolute top time of year with a long-range weapon, just to look at the one chance of a good buck as it walks by out of range?

True Bryan (BSK), But then, I rarely hunt in places where I see a buck that is out of range.

But you're forgetting that you're a MUCH better hunter than I am!

Lol Bryan.

Bow hunter maybe!

#3293812 - 07/17/13 09:59 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BigSatt]
10 Point

Originally Posted By: BigSatt
 Originally Posted By: 102

We hunted (and would hunt if we went back to it) hard with a bow, just like we do with an MZ or gun. And that's a big reason not to go back. Why ruin the absolute top time of year with a long-range weapon, just to look at the one chance of a good buck as it walks by out of range?

True Bryan (BSK), But then, I rarely hunt in places where I see a buck that is out of range.

But you're forgetting that you're a MUCH better hunter than I am!

Me too apparently.

We don't bowhunt our relatively small farms in Illinois for that very reason. We try our best to hunt unpressured deer with our shotgun/muzzleloaders during the BEST time to hopefully afford the BEST opportunity for ALL! That doesn't mean that we have anything against bowhunting...it's just that we want to be able to utilize the most effective weapon that the law allows during the timeframe that has been PROVEN to be the best time to be in the deer woods. ANY intrusion before that time can/will tip our hat so to speak. All I know is that it surely has served us well over the last few years since we instituted this practice. Please, carry on.

Maybe...I know that pressure is king when it comes to hunting and finding deer.

But rut trumps all!!!

#3293872 - 07/17/13 10:58 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Headhunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Definitely not meant in a bad way toward you BSK.

And I didn't take it that way. I don't think anyone agrees COMPLETELY with anyone else (at least I hope not). Dr. Grant Woods was my mentor for a decade. I think he's a brilliant deer biologist and manager. But that doesn't mean I agree with him on everything. We have major differences in beliefs about biology, management, hunting, and life in general. But I still think the world of him and truly respect him.

Quote:
I would be a rich man if I just had a dollar for every time I have been told, or something to the effect of, "you won't kill a buck or a deer or catch a fish or a certain day will be a waste of time to hunt or fish" only to have one of the best days hunting or fishing I have ever had.

"Never" and "always" are two very dangerous words when it comes to hunting and fishing! That's why I always try to point out that even my highly data-driven opinions are only about "trends;" i.e. less like, more likely, highly unlikely, vast majority, etc.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 14 of 14 « First<1011121314

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (laserman, Bulldog25, 88Mic, cooper3, trevor2010, robinhedd) and 67 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.