Tndeer Logo

Page 13 of 14 « First<1011121314>
Topic Options
#3292652 - 07/16/13 08:35 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Wes Parrish]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
There is also an issue where some states offer more quality hunting opportunities to exclusive archery hunters. In other words, if you choose to hunt only with archery, you get access to higher-quality hunting. Generally speaking, this is not the case in TN, although there are some exceptions.

Dang it, this was going so well...where's the popcorn eating hippo pic when you need it? \:\)

#3292658 - 07/16/13 08:42 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BlountArrow]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

In some states, their gun seasons do not occur until after the rut, which can mean archery hunters (during the rut) have much more opportunity. Some states will not let you hunt with a bow if you hunt any with a gun. Crazy.
#3292673 - 07/16/13 08:53 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

There is also an issue where some states offer more quality hunting opportunities to exclusive archery hunters. In other words, if you choose to hunt only with archery, you get access to higher-quality hunting. Generally speaking, this is not the case in TN, although there are some exceptions.

Another excellent point. If you prefer bow-hunting, some states have regulations that favor the bow-hunter, hence bow-hunters will like those regulations.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3293081 - 07/16/13 02:39 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I really like no gun hunting during the rut. In Tennessee that would be tough if not impossible to set the season for.

#3293388 - 07/16/13 07:31 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Headhunter]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Simple solution to this debate debacle..... Get out in the woods, pay attention to everything and you will see that BSK is spot in. Over a decade ago when I first found this site I thought BSK was just a pot smoking hippie after a couple years I figured out he is possibly the best deer scientist in the southeast as well......
#3293410 - 07/16/13 07:44 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Fordman]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: Fordman
Simple solution to this debate debacle..... Get out in the woods, pay attention to everything and you will see that BSK is spot in. Over a decade ago when I first found this site I thought BSK was just a pot smoking hippie after a couple years I figured out he is possibly the best deer scientist in the southeast as well......
x2 on both accounts \:D

#3293689 - 07/17/13 07:21 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: timberjack86]
Headhunter
10 Point

In my 30+ years of deer hunting in mostly middle Tennessee, when it comes to deer and deer hunting I completely agree with BSK on some things and (as I am sure many do about my opinions) I completely disagree on what he thinks on others.

#3293692 - 07/17/13 07:30 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Headhunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
I completely disagree on what he thinks on others.

That makes you a very smart man Headhunter!

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3293741 - 07/17/13 08:22 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Wes Parrish]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

I would contend that early season, when deer are still on their summer feeding patterns, is a very high quality hunting opportunity that gun/ml hunters do not have access to. The deer are less pressured at this time, as well, multiplying the quality of the hunt.

I used to bow hunt more, and would have considered myself an avid bowhunter, but now that I have kids and more responsibilities, I have less time in the woods and prefer the more "efficient" hunting methods. That is why I am glad that gun/ml covers the rut, even though this year the first week of Nov will be bow only, which is traditionally a very good time to hunt in my area. I would almost be willing to swap the rut for the early season, though.

Sorry, just my thoughts and no hard feelings either way...

#3293775 - 07/17/13 09:20 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: EastTNHunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Definitely not meant in a bad way toward you BSK. I approach many things in hunting and fishing differently than most. I would be a rich man if I just had a dollar for every time I have been told, or something to the effect of, "you won't kill a buck or a deer or catch a fish or a certain day will be a waste of time to hunt or fish" only to have one of the best days hunting or fishing I have ever had. What cracks me up the most (I work with one) are the guys who have never killed a deer but they tell me the way I hunt is wrong because they read it in a book or saw in a show that what I am doing is wrong.

My personal favorite is a friend of the family who told me (while we were on public land hunt) that if he could hunt "pet" deer like I do then he could kill them like me. He told me how smart you had to be to kill public land deer, and that afternoon I killed a great 3.5 year old 10 pointer and have killed a deer on the majority of our public land hunts together ever since. He watches "all" the hunting shows and claims to know more than anyone else, he has not even hardly seen a deer since the "pet" deer comment. Karma I guess.

Page 13 of 14 « First<1011121314>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (Deerhunter, RodBone75, Setterman, Ken45, mossyoakmantn, JSPAL270, 1 invisible) and 47 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
91003 Topics
1063444 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.075 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.