Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3288936 - 07/11/13 07:13 PM Re: Evening hunting [Re: Radar]
Bootlegger
4 Point

Loc: Crossville,TN

I have had the best luck in evenings for me.

Roll Tide!

#3288985 - 07/11/13 08:11 PM Re: Evening hunting [Re: Bootlegger]
GOODWIN
4 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

I hunt when I can...mornings, evenings, rain, or shine
#3291563 - 07/14/13 10:13 PM Re: Evening hunting [Re: GOODWIN]
eweisner
8 Point

Loc: Portland, TN

content Online
I prefer evenings myself...Personally I have seen more deer.

http://confessionsofanovicebowhunter.wordpress.com

#3291631 - 07/15/13 05:34 AM Re: Evening hunting [Re: eweisner]
buckaroo
8 Point

Loc: easttennessee

I must be setting up wrong or something, I never have seen many deer in early season evenings, especially bucks when it's very warm. I usually hunt the acorn feeding sign.
#3291711 - 07/15/13 07:35 AM Re: Evening hunting [Re: buckaroo]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I don't hunt evenings much during bow season. I much prefer mornings. Last season, instead of hunting separate morning and evening hunts, I usually hunted through the midday until about 2 PM and then took the rest of the day off. I liked that schedule much better, though I still did some evening hunts around agriculture.

Afternoons that time of year are frustrating to me. I see just enough deer out at 4 o'clockish, that I feel that I need to be setup no later than 3 PM for a productive evening hunt. At the same time, most of the deer activity I tend to see in most of the areas I hunt is during the last 20 minutes of light and usually after shooting light. This is not hunting field edges, either. this is in the woods. One area I hunt is usually ripe with activity earlier in the evening, but I do not hunt there much or at all during bow season.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3291748 - 07/15/13 08:08 AM Re: Evening hunting [Re: Poser]
GOODWIN
4 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
I don't hunt evenings much during bow season. I much prefer mornings. Last season, instead of hunting separate morning and evening hunts, I usually hunted through the midday until about 2 PM and then took the rest of the day off. I liked that schedule much better, though I still did some evening hunts around agriculture.

Afternoons that time of year are frustrating to me. I see just enough deer out at 4 o'clockish, that I feel that I need to be setup no later than 3 PM for a productive evening hunt. At the same time, most of the deer activity I tend to see in most of the areas I hunt is during the last 20 minutes of light and usually after shooting light. This is not hunting field edges, either. this is in the woods. One area I hunt is usually ripe with activity earlier in the evening, but I do not hunt there much or at all during bow season.

I'll agree. When I hunt afternoons I'm usually set up on a field edge or very close.

#3291789 - 07/15/13 08:48 AM Re: Evening hunting [Re: GOODWIN]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: GOODWIN
 Originally Posted By: Poser

I'll agree. When I hunt afternoons I'm usually set up on a field edge or very close.

In the evenings around agriculture, I like to be about 10-30 inside the woods with my scent blowing out into the field. I'll often see deer moving laterally with the treeline, avoiding the field until dark.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3291802 - 07/15/13 09:01 AM Re: Evening hunting [Re: Poser]
buckaroo
8 Point

Makes a quick getaway as to not alarm deer also. My problem is I'm hunting mountain land. Bright side I can catch a little more football till it cools down
#3291805 - 07/15/13 09:04 AM Re: Evening hunting [Re: buckaroo]
buckaroo
8 Point

The other problem that bothers me is the tracking after dark, it can really educate the deer.
#3291987 - 07/15/13 11:46 AM Re: Evening hunting [Re: buckaroo]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

I've killed way more deer in the early season evenings than I have of the morning. I think I might have killed a handful of the morning and a truckload of the evenings. I don't mind morning hunting and like watching the woods come to life...it's just that thinking back to my bow kills and deer sightings over the years...the evening has been my most productive by a long shot over mornings.

It's not until later in the season, that I start seeing deer numbers go up in the morning hours...and even then in the spots I hunt, it's mostly later morning than early morning.

The big thing I've noticed is the land I hunt doesn't have designated "bedding areas" like some of the places in the mid west or north. The deer basically just bed down where they feel like it. It is very random. Just when you think you have them all figured out, they throw a kink in your plans and change the game on you.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
camohunter3, mtd, Higdon23, blcmrr2008, Urban deer Hunter
13270 Registered Users
Who's Online
164 registered (rustyloafer, stringtalker, leader, Nealmeally, bowhunter163, BigD_625, 13 invisible) and 188 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13270 Members
42 Forums
92977 Topics
1086413 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.098 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.