Topic Options
#3289769 - 07/12/13 06:00 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: 102]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: 102
 Originally Posted By: Winchester
Bowhunting is all in what you make of it. If you use bow season to simply romp around the woods hoping to maybe kill a doe or 2, then yes you likely are hurting yourself if you plan to hunt the exact same area during MZ and Gun.
Bow hunting can be much less intrusive than gun hunting if you take special care to make it that way. Bow season isn't just a time to walk your entire area you plan to gun hunt!
Succesful bow hunting is coming and going and watching deer that never had a clue you were ever there. I know its impossible to enter any area without alerting atleast some of the deer, but yo can really decrease the impact if you take the efforts to do so.

Agree 100 percent

We hunted (and would hunt if we went back to it) hard with a bow, just like we do with an MZ or gun. And that's a big reason not to go back. Why ruin the absolute top time of year with a long-range weapon, just to look at the one chance of a good buck as it walks by out of range?

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3289823 - 07/12/13 07:26 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Winchester
Bowhunting is all in what you make of it. If you use bow season to simply romp around the woods hoping to maybe kill a doe or 2, then yes you likely are hurting yourself if you plan to hunt the exact same area during MZ and Gun.
Bow hunting can be much less intrusive than gun hunting if you take special care to make it that way. Bow season isn't just a time to walk your entire area you plan to gun hunt!
Succesful bow hunting is coming and going and watching deer that never had a clue you were ever there. I know its impossible to enter any area without alerting atleast some of the deer, but yo can really decrease the impact if you take the efforts to do so.

Agree 100 percent

We hunted (and would hunt if we went back to it) hard with a bow, just like we do with an MZ or gun. And that's a big reason not to go back. Why ruin the absolute top time of year with a long-range weapon, just to look at the one chance of a good buck as it walks by out of range?

True Bryan (BSK),
But then, I rarely hunt in places where I see a buck that is out of range. Usually if a shot does not happen, it is because even though they are in range, it is too thick to get an arrow through. Or they do not hold still long enough, if at all.

There certainly have been times when I have seen good bucks at a distance. But those times were the exception.

But then, I have spent the vast majority of my bowhunting life with leaves on trees. I have almost always done over 75 percent of my hunting by December.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3290192 - 07/13/13 09:20 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: 102]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

102, I hunt everywhere, from places that are jungle thick to as wide open as it gets. Mature bucks can and will show up anytime anywhere. My best bow opportunity (gun also) in my life was a giant 8 point, you wouldn't believe how big, easy 160 class deer, after I blew the shot he ran out and stood in the field til dark at about 100 yards (this was in the first week of December, rare occurrence for me, but it was a public land WMA) that came out in the wide open about an hour before dark. I blew it is all I can say but I had been hunting the "thickets" before and I saw more deer and more bucks hunting the wide open spot than I did in the thickets that year. This place was heavily pressured and other hunters were walking by me looking at me in the tree I am sure wondering "what idiot is hunting the freshly bush hogged wide open spot" but it was being used for sure. I hunt wherever I feel I have the best chance to get an opportunity. I love the guys who say "that is to open, you will never see a good buck there in the daylight". I have killed good bucks in the some the nastiest thick crap you can imagine but I have killed some nice bucks in the wide open, with a bow inside of 10 yards.

#3290476 - 07/13/13 05:55 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Headhunter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I wonder about this bowhunting spooking deer thing? I believe it is your presence in the woods, not what you have in your hands. I think that is what causes the "pressure". If that is true, then why do any of you have cameras out that require you to check them?

I quit hunting mature or "trophy" deer some years ago. No longer travel, no longer give it a thought. I do most of my hunting during archery season and shoot whatever I feel like shooting, most often a doe. I don't hunt much public land anymore, don;t have to. Mostly I hunt two small farms on a more than regular basis. However, strangely enough, I continue to see the same deer-bucks and does-coming by the same stands all through the season.

Last year, I shot a buck I aged at 5.5 and he could easily have been older. I shot him from a stand from which I had seen him on several prior occasions and never got a shot or had the inclination to shoot.

This entire subject can be cussed and discussed ad nauseum. It is somewhat fun, somewhat educational. The end result of course, is nothing will be gained or a mind changed.

The imprtant question remains is, why does my printer-copier-scanner no longer recognize my computer, allowing me to scan?

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3290499 - 07/13/13 06:43 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: bowriter]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

That last sentence....you read my mind. Did you change internet providers? \:\)

#3290918 - 07/14/13 09:10 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: 102]
BSK
Non-Typical

True Bryan (BSK), But then, I rarely hunt in places where I see a buck that is out of range.

But you're forgetting that you're a MUCH better hunter than I am!

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3292520 - 07/16/13 03:34 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
BigSatt
10 Point

Loc: Northern Middle Tn.

True Bryan (BSK), But then, I rarely hunt in places where I see a buck that is out of range.

But you're forgetting that you're a MUCH better hunter than I am!

Me too apparently.

We don't bowhunt our relatively small farms in Illinois for that very reason. We try our best to hunt unpressured deer with our shotgun/muzzleloaders during the BEST time to hopefully afford the BEST opportunity for ALL! That doesn't mean that we have anything against bowhunting...it's just that we want to be able to utilize the most effective weapon that the law allows during the timeframe that has been PROVEN to be the best time to be in the deer woods. ANY intrusion before that time can/will tip our hat so to speak. All I know is that it surely has served us well over the last few years since we instituted this practice. Please, carry on.

#3292617 - 07/16/13 08:04 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BigSatt]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I think there can also be an issue as to whether one is more a hunting enthusiast or an archery enthusiast. While some of us are more into hunting (using the most effective weapon that's legal, often including archery), others are more into archery, using hunting to compliment their greater interest in archery.
#3292636 - 07/16/13 08:22 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

That's a good point Wes.

#3292640 - 07/16/13 08:26 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

There is also an issue where some states offer more quality hunting opportunities to exclusive archery hunters. In other words, if you choose to hunt only with archery, you get access to higher-quality hunting. Generally speaking, this is not the case in TN, although there are some exceptions.
Page 12 of 14 « First<1011121314>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
46 registered (mshipman, TNOutdoorCo, tn droptine, rustyloafer, Hunt 365, rastubbs, 5 invisible) and 117 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91473 Topics
1069359 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.