Tndeer Logo

Page 11 of 14 « First<910111213>Last »
Topic Options
#3288989 - 07/11/13 08:22 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: 102]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

BTW, here is a link to another thread where I posted some of the "good representatives" of bucks. Also, there are a few 4.5 bruisers mixed in.
They are all Public Land kills.

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3288760&page=1#Post3288760

Edited by 102 (07/11/13 08:22 PM)
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3288994 - 07/11/13 08:28 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: 102]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I agree with the "one chance" BSK. With that said, many of the best bucks I have ever seen have been in bow season (many from a long distance, did not have a clue I was in the world) and that was the "one chance". In my world of hunting if we see what we consider a "giant", we get one chance.

Some will argue that bowhunting spooks them but I have had places we have left alone til gun season and I cannot tell any difference in the amount of mature deer we see. Much like the farms I hunt that are archery only that are surrounded by gun hunting get covered up with deer during gun season and the guys gun hunting want to bowhunt where we hunt.

It also is very similar to killing does, the years we have whacked all the momma does we legally could from the start of archery are always better years for seeing bucks than the years we let everything walk. I would think letting all the does walk would help but we see many more bucks when we kill the does from the start. Like I said this is from over 30 years of hunting in mostly middle Tennessee.

#3289008 - 07/11/13 08:45 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Headhunter]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: Headhunter

Some will argue that bowhunting spooks them but I have had places we have left alone til gun season and I cannot tell any difference in the amount of mature deer we see. Much like the farms I hunt that are archery only that are surrounded by gun hunting get covered up with deer during gun season and the guys gun hunting want to bowhunt where we hunt.

I believe every property is different. On our land, there is NO bow hunting anywhere around in the 3000 acre loop that our property is in, except on our land (us). The 2 years we did not hunt during bow (out of 12 years), last year included, were the best muzzy and rifle years we have had.

Think about it...in that 3000 acres, the deer were pressured hard on 500 acres. It pushed them off. No wonder we heard shots all around when the guns started going off and we rarely had a sighting of a good buck or two. These two seasons I'm referring to, WE were the ones shooting.

One of those seasons was due to a funeral of one of our hunting partners [just didn't hunt as much (couldn't get ourselves to)] and the other was by our design (our plan of experimenting). I'd love to do that every year as long as I have a place or two to bow hunt. We went out of our way to lease land for this purpose

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3289245 - 07/12/13 07:46 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Headhunter
10 Point

I guess it depends on how you bowhunt. We go straight to our stands, no scouting, even on public land, and walk straight out. Like I said I have been hunting for a long time and most places I hunt I know where the majority of food sources or stand areas I want to hunt are so if I scout at all, I plan it so I scout on the way in and out. If I get a new place I may walk one or 2 times looking but most of my looking is done with maps and google earth. Along that line I believe game cameras spook as many bucks if not more than bowhunters, especially mature bucks.

#3289260 - 07/12/13 08:02 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Headhunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I agree Headhunter, it is probably how and how much you bow hunt. Back when we still bow-hunted, we put in more bow-hunting hours in the stand than we did MZ and gun combined. And once we stopped that heavy bow-hunting pressure, our sightings of older bucks during MZ and gun sky-rocketed. Now if we had only lightly bow-hunted, the difference after ending bow-hunting probably wouldn't have been as dramatic.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3289340 - 07/12/13 09:26 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I am going to try to bow hunt similar to headhunter this year. I agree with bowhunting causing more pressure. My thing is this, bow hunting requires a lot more time to get the buck you want or get a good shot at him, so that leads to more time in the woods, more up and down your stand and if you are using a climber that isn't silent then thats a lot of noise twice a day, so I get the reasons why it could lead to fewer deer sightings in muzzy and rifle season. The deer already know you and they haven't had time to forget.

But the tricky thing for me is hunting public land. Unless you are in a spot no one else goes in, then there is going to be pressure and one place I hunt, cheatham wma, there is a lot of it. So areas like these would it still be best to just stay out for bow hunting or try to keep the pressure light and hunt different spots.

I still do not have a kill with a bow, I was close last year several times but did not want to take a bad shot to get my first bow kill. I am getting a bow kill this year, it is going to be a challenge but I will get one.

Edited by MattR (07/12/13 09:28 AM)

#3289341 - 07/12/13 09:26 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
Headhunter
10 Point

We bowhunt hard, as I have said, I hunt some portion of every single day of every season in Tennessee unless I am in Kentucky. But I go straight to my stand and straight out. I also vary stands and hunt different areas. Like I said also, many places I hunt now, I have no control over what family members and landowners do on the private land I get to hunt. I do not desire to control that in anyway either, it is their land and I am not even going to ask them to consider our hunting or even worry about hunting when they are doing anything on their own land, I am way more than happy to just have a place to hunt. Public land I hunt, nothing you can do there either.

I know skill plays some part, but for me, the opportunity to see a buck (I want to shoot, no matter the age) is as much a thing of just being in the woods as it is skill. It is hard to replace time in the woods.

#3289361 - 07/12/13 09:41 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Headhunter]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen a good buck once (even on camera), no matter what season it may be. I love to hear the hollow thump sound of an arrow striking a deer but I honestly believe that bow hunting has saved more bucks than most care to believe. I still carry my string and sticks to the woods but I don't hunt my prime spots until pre-rut. I don't want to tip that one time buck off before I have the most adequate weapon in my hands as I can carry.

Edited by Mike Belt (07/12/13 09:44 AM)

#3289420 - 07/12/13 10:50 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Mike Belt]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Bowhunting is all in what you make of it. If you use bow season to simply romp around the woods hoping to maybe kill a doe or 2, then yes you likely are hurting yourself if you plan to hunt the exact same area during MZ and Gun.
Bow hunting can be much less intrusive than gun hunting if you take special care to make it that way. Bow season isn't just a time to walk your entire area you plan to gun hunt!
Succesful bow hunting is coming and going and watching deer that never had a clue you were ever there. I know its impossible to enter any area without alerting atleast some of the deer, but yo can really decrease the impact if you take the efforts to do so.

#3289732 - 07/12/13 05:19 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Winchester]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Winchester
Bowhunting is all in what you make of it. If you use bow season to simply romp around the woods hoping to maybe kill a doe or 2, then yes you likely are hurting yourself if you plan to hunt the exact same area during MZ and Gun.
Bow hunting can be much less intrusive than gun hunting if you take special care to make it that way. Bow season isn't just a time to walk your entire area you plan to gun hunt!
Succesful bow hunting is coming and going and watching deer that never had a clue you were ever there. I know its impossible to enter any area without alerting atleast some of the deer, but yo can really decrease the impact if you take the efforts to do so.

Agree 100 percent
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

Page 11 of 14 « First<910111213>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
19 registered (Ken45, tn droptine, krappiekrazy, Jcalder, RidgeRunner94, Bow Hunter, 2 invisible) and 60 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
91003 Topics
1063450 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.