Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3289512 - 07/12/13 12:55 PM What out of state deer hunting regs do you like?
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

For those who deer hunt outside of Tennessee, are there any specific regulations that you like in the States that you hunt?

Besides Tennessee, I also hunt public access land in Kansas and Texas.

In Kansas I like that you can use screw in steps on public access land. I also like that you can hang 2 treestands per area on public access land and leave them up all season as long as you put your name and hunter ID number on them. Anyone is allowed to use a treestand on public land if it's not being used when you get to it. I also like that the use of trail cameras on public access land in Kansas does not require special permission. I know many will hate this one, but I like that almost all of November is archery only in Kansas. The way the calendar is this year, the entire months of October and November are archery only in Kansas. As a nonresident I like the 1-buck limit in Kansas, but if I lived there I would probably prefer a 2-buck limit.

In Texas I like that you can leave a treestand or a blind on public access land for up to 72 hrs. I also like that you can use trail cameras on public access land without special permission.

#3289516 - 07/12/13 12:58 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
In Mississippi I like that you can frog hunt with a .22 and that coon season opens in July.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3289524 - 07/12/13 01:02 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Poser]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
In Mississippi I like that you can frog hunt with a .22 and that coon season opens in July.

Deer hunting regs, Poser. No frogs, coons, muskrats, beavers, nutria and other questionable tablefare.

#3289555 - 07/12/13 01:34 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Vermin93

Deer hunting regs, Poser. No frogs, coons, muskrats, beavers, nutria and other questionable tablefare.

Give me a minute to research which states have the most favorable age of consent laws and I'll post that info up in the wife swap, I mean hunt swap forum. \:D

#3289565 - 07/12/13 01:40 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Poser]
taximan
8 Point

Loc: Indiana

Here in indiana, i like the one buck rule.....its good for here, not good for other places....we have a lot of weekend warriors who want bragging rights so they let a lot of lil ones walk, i feel that wouldn't be the case if we were allowed more than one.

#3289566 - 07/12/13 01:40 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Vermin93]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

No frogs, coons, muskrats, beavers, nutria and other questionable tablefare.

THAT's funny!!! \:\)

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3289586 - 07/12/13 02:00 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

stik will kill me for saying this, but I kind of like GA's buck limits--2 per year but one has to have 4 points on one side. I think this is a good compromise between all hunter wants and needs.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3289618 - 07/12/13 02:37 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BSK]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
Being able to kill an albino deer.

#3289641 - 07/12/13 03:04 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: catman529]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: catman529
Being able to kill an albino deer.

x2

I'd also like to see a two buck limit.

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3289644 - 07/12/13 03:08 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Vermin93]
Master Chief
10 Point

I also like that the use of trail cameras on public access land in Kansas does not require special permission.

I've never been told no when asking an area manager. They always just tell me to do it at my own risk of theft and of course share the pics with them \:D

-John Muir

#3289650 - 07/12/13 03:14 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BSK]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

Loc: Cumberland County,Tennessee, U...

I have been praying that it might happen. It'll be AWHILE before it is even to be considered.
 Originally Posted By: BSK
stik will kill me for saying this, but I kind of like GA's buck limits--2 per year but one has to have 4 points on one side. I think this is a good compromise between all hunter wants and needs.

#3289725 - 07/12/13 05:09 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BuckHunter511]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Buckshot!

#3289730 - 07/12/13 05:15 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: timberjack86]
Master Chief
10 Point

Originally Posted By: timberjack86
Buckshot!

Why? I never really understood why you would use it even if it was legal. A rifle or slug seems so much more practical.

-John Muir

#3289733 - 07/12/13 05:20 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BSK]
@fulldraw
8 Point

Loc: Clarksville

I favor this reg as well.

#3289803 - 07/12/13 06:52 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Master Chief]
BAMA BOW MERKER
6 Point

Loc: Dyer County, TN

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
Buckshot!

Why? I never really understood why you would use it even if it was legal. A rifle or slug seems so much more practical.

Very practical for youth and thick woods. I grew up in Alabama, and harvested my first 12-15 deer with buckshot. Harvested several after that as well, very lethal up to 40-45 yds.

#3289808 - 07/12/13 07:06 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BuckHunter511]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BuckHunter511
I have been praying that it might happen. It'll be AWHILE before it is even to be considered.

I too like this one!! It's a very fair compromise between different mind sets!

#3289825 - 07/12/13 07:28 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BHC]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

North Carolina: Buckshot legal, baiting legal (regardless if you agree with it or not, the option is there), albino's are legal, and no daily limit. 6 tags issued (4 antlerless,2 "hunters choice" or bucks), if you want to fill every tag in one morning, your free to do so and you can buy unlimited bonus antlerless tags over the counter (2 tags for $10). Deer hounds legal in eastern part of the state.

With a properly choked shotgun and knoledge of effective range, buckshot is an incredible round for deer!! I'm partial to Federal 3 1/2" #1buck!!!!!It will flat out stomp the daylights out of'em!!!

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3289827 - 07/12/13 07:32 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Master Chief]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Buckshot!

If you ever shoot one inside 40yds with a load of 1B's, you'll see why!!!

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3289887 - 07/12/13 08:40 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BSK]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online

Me too!

I'd go to GA's system tomorrow if I could.

#3289902 - 07/12/13 08:55 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: scn]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

When did Stik change his mind?
I thought he had always been a big fan of antler restrictions?

Yes, if I remember correctly, he's the one wanting "9 or more points" implemented on Mt. Roosevelt WMA.

#3290062 - 07/13/13 04:18 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BSK]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

leave it at 3 bucks with restrictions on the 3rd would be tolerable. otherwise NO ANTLER RESTRICTIONS!!!

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3290083 - 07/13/13 06:57 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
When did Stik change his mind?
I thought he had always been a big fan of antler restrictions?

HA!

#3290477 - 07/13/13 05:56 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

IA-No gun hunting during the rut, no centerfire rifles.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3291200 - 07/14/13 04:30 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: bowriter]
soshock1
4 Point

Loc: Columbia, TN

I hunt mainly in TN but also hunt with some family in AL. AL does NOTHING better than TN when it comes to deer hunting. Say what you will about how we have to check in the deer in TN, AL has no check system and their deer harvest data is just some guy's best guess. Not really what you were asking but my two cents anyway.
#3291331 - 07/14/13 07:11 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: soshock1]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
TN's rules regrading a deer hunters entrance to the woods in relationship to first light on public land is absolute garbage. It's not enough time to adequately penetrate the woods and get setup before first light, much less shooting light. Even on the quota hunts they let you enter the WMA's before stated time. I say ditch that reg -it is not only useless, it is unenforceable,disregarded across the board, it is (potebtially) inhibitive of hardcore hunting. -a small, but overlooked reality of public land deer hunting.

#3291349 - 07/14/13 07:33 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Poser]
Recoil
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Since I'm from Missouri and have family there, I enjoy going there and hunting as a nonresident with it's four points on one side restriction--which gives you many more opportunities to shoot a much nicer "average" buck than middle Tennessee affords.
#3291365 - 07/14/13 07:44 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: soshock1]
7mmshooter
Spike

Loc: tennessee, marion county.

Originally Posted By: soshock1
I hunt mainly in TN but also hunt with some family in AL. AL does NOTHING better than TN when it comes to deer hunting. Say what you will about how we have to check in the deer in TN, AL has no check system and their deer harvest data is just some guy's best guess. Not really what you were asking but my two cents anyway.
I hunt a lot in alabama and also in tennessee and have wondered why in alabama you dont have to check in deer and turkey. but this year they have chenged it, you have to check deer in, like you do in Tn. but you also have to fill out a harvest record that you have to have with you at all times while hunting.

#3291384 - 07/14/13 07:57 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Vermin93]
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Kentucky - TELECHECK

#3291480 - 07/14/13 09:08 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Poser]
Vermin93
12 Point

TN's rules regrading a deer hunters entrance to the woods in relationship to first light on public land is absolute garbage. It's not enough time to adequately penetrate the woods and get setup before first light, much less shooting light. Even on the quota hunts they let you enter the WMA's before stated time. I say ditch that reg -it is not only useless, it is unenforceable,disregarded across the board, it is (potebtially) inhibitive of hardcore hunting. -a small, but overlooked reality of public land deer hunting.

X2! Totally agree. Great point!

#3291616 - 07/15/13 12:06 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: TLRanger]
BAMA BOW MERKER
6 Point

Loc: Dyer County, TN

Originally Posted By: TLRanger
Kentucky - TELECHECK

X2

#3291659 - 07/15/13 06:40 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BAMA BOW MERKER]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

I'm not much on change but I will post a few I might consider...
- Buckshot
- running dogs
- one buck per day
- Bow only (all season)
- no rifle season
- one buck limit
- No check in system
- Rifle only season (all season)
- Earn a buck
- Hunt over bait
- Legal to shoot them from your truck
- outlaw crossbows
- hunting from the ground only
- has to have 5 points on one side
- Only can kill does on the last weekend of the season
- 11 buck limit
- Crossbows only (all season)
- No hunting within a 100 yards of food plots
- No hunting over bait
- Shorter season
- No hunting with dogs
- Longer season
- No doe limits
- Hunt at night with a spot light
- No blaze orange
- Camo illegal
- Spear season
- Hunting over only Wal-Mart brand corn
- illegal to hunt over salt licks
- Bow hunting illegal
- Drive hunting only
- Wear blaze orange from head to toe
- Slug hunting only

Like I stated, I'm not much on change but I thought I would post a few I would consider. \:D \:D

Edited by gator-n-buck (07/15/13 10:00 AM)

#3291760 - 07/15/13 08:19 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Recoil]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Recoil
Since I'm from Missouri and have family there, I enjoy going there and hunting as a nonresident with it's four points on one side restriction--which gives you many more opportunities to shoot a much nicer "average" buck than middle Tennessee affords.

Just remember MO is always going to produce much better bucks of the same age as TN does. Just a matter of habitat quality.

#3291765 - 07/15/13 08:23 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Just remember MO is always going to produce much better bucks of the same age as TN does. Just a matter of habitat quality.

At the same time, many areas of MO have habitat not as good as many areas of TN, and the effects of the hunting regulations on herd health cannot be ignored.

#3291769 - 07/15/13 08:27 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: stik]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Originally Posted By: stik

leave it at 3 bucks with restrictions on the 3rd would be tolerable. otherwise NO ANTLER RESTRICTIONS!!!

Agree 100%!

Edited by EastTNHunter (07/15/13 08:27 AM)

#3291782 - 07/15/13 08:41 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: EastTNHunter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Just an observation:

Our bordering state of Kentucky is now ranked #1 in the addition of B&C-class bucks over the past few years. Kentucky doesn't have any antler restrictions.

IMO, going to a simple 2-buck limit would improve Tennessee's top-end antler results more than the antler restrictions currently being used by any state.

#3291908 - 07/15/13 10:44 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

At the same time, many areas of MO have habitat not as good as many areas of TN, and the effects of the hunting regulations on herd health cannot be ignored.

I disagree with MANY areas of MO having worse habitat than MANY areas of TN. SOME areas, I can live with. The Ozark region of southern MO, for example, is generally poor habitat and poor soils. But the majority of MO has habitat superior to the majority of TN.

#3291938 - 07/15/13 11:07 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

But the majority of MO has habitat superior to the majority of TN.

On that we agree. \:\)

#3292042 - 07/15/13 01:00 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: EastTNHunter]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: EastTNHunter

Agree 100%!

Yep, I could tolerate that. ;\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3292045 - 07/15/13 01:04 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: MUP]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Kentucky.

#3292084 - 07/15/13 02:29 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Headhunter]
kldeerkiller
4 Point

Loc: hawkins county

1 buck limit and shorter gun and muzzleloader seasons.
#3292255 - 07/15/13 07:58 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: rukiddin?]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: rukiddin?
Buckshot!

If you ever shoot one inside 40yds with a load of 1B's, you'll see why!!!
Yep I went on a hunt in bama once and got to use it. Very deadly inside 40 yards! Kinda like rabbit hunting only bigger

#3292456 - 07/15/13 10:36 PM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: kldeerkiller]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Originally Posted By: kldeerkiller
1 buck limit and shorter gun and muzzleloader seasons.

we don't have a long muzzleloader season I would say if we are going to cut gun season it should be shorter gun season. but im not a fan of going to neither I would rather see a 2 buck limit instead. but that's just me.

#3292518 - 07/16/13 03:19 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BigSatt
10 Point

Loc: Northern Middle Tn.

IMO, going to a simple 2-buck limit would improve Tennessee's top-end antler results more than the antler restrictions currently being used by any state.

I second that emotion!

#3292542 - 07/16/13 05:32 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Wes Parrish]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Just an observation:

Our bordering state of Kentucky is now ranked #1 in the addition of B&C-class bucks over the past few years. Kentucky doesn't have any antler restrictions.

How so Wes? I've seen where the percentage of hunters that have taken a third buck are very small. Just wondering how dropping that third buck off the list would make any significant impact one way or the other.

Disclaimer: I'm not a WB, just want to know how. ;\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3292558 - 07/16/13 06:14 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: Wes Parrish]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

east Tennessee(unit B) had a 2 buck limit. it made little to no difference over the 3 buck limit.

#3292563 - 07/16/13 06:34 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: MUP]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: MUP
Just an observation:

How so Wes? I've seen where the percentage of hunters that have taken a third buck are very small. Just wondering how dropping that third buck off the list would make any significant impact one way or the other.

exactly!! that third buck doesnt amount to a hill of beans since the percentage of them being taken is so small!! hunters are restricting themselves more now than ever so why put more on them? east tn had a 2 buck rule for a good while made absolutely no change in the size of oyur bucks.

#3292569 - 07/16/13 06:42 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: knightrider]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

east Tennessee(unit B) had a 2 buck limit. it made little to no difference over the 3 buck limit.

Originally Posted By: knightrider
 Originally Posted By: MUP
Just an observation:

exactly!! that third buck doesnt amount to a hill of beans since the percentage of them being taken is so small!! hunters are restricting themselves more now than ever so why put more on them? east tn had a 2 buck rule for a good while made absolutely no change in the size of oyur bucks.

we are seeing bigger bucks WITH the 3 buck limit. no further restrictions are necessary.

#3292722 - 07/16/13 09:29 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: stik]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

content Online

I agree! Not any difference in the 2 or 3 limit. The 2 buck limit was a huge improvement on the previous restrictions... 11 bucks or whatever crazy number it was. I think the regs in Tennessee are awesome and keep the vast majority of us happy.

#3292798 - 07/16/13 10:29 AM Re: What out of state deer hunting regs do you like? [Re: morgancountry]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I am pretty happy with ours actually. I actually like the laws Texas has against poaching and how much they seem to enforce it. Also one I don't like is NC using dogs to deer hunt. I was able to kill deer consitently without running dogs. I think it is harder hunting for sure. I used to have to crawl to get to some of my tree stands. But I don't think the deer would stay in the thickets as bad over there if they weren't pressured as hard as they are. Before deer season you see them everywhere but after they start running the dogs you never see them even during the rut.

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
KevinTN, gthorne, bwoodard12, front hillside, DeerBomber
13540 Registered Users
Who's Online
147 registered (TJS209, farmlegend, Forcetowork, Cooter, mjac, JBARCHER, 13 invisible) and 214 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13540 Members
42 Forums
99185 Topics
1166466 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.064 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.