Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3291881 - 07/15/13 10:21 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: fishboy1]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
Each property is unique but here is my .02

Hunters spend way too much time and money trying to get the deer to do what they want them to do, rather than learn what the deer are doing on their individual properties.

I think in many if not most cases, hunters would be better off spending less trying to manipulate the deer, and spending more on gas to go scout, or hunt.

One property we hunt has hundreds of acres of high quality agriculture on the river, oak and persimmons on the ridges, minerals and water in several locations. The deer have everything they need, yet one guy insists on planting food plots every fall and wonders why he rarely sees big bucks around the food plots. Through lots of hard work and time on the ground and in a tree, I have figured out 2 big buck "hot spots". There is nothing I could do to manipulate those deer. They do exactly what they want, when they want. Its on me to put in the time under perfect conditions to try and get one.

Conditions are perfect about 2x a season and IF I am lucky (last year) one of those days will be just before or during the rut. Hunt those spots when conditions are wrong and you can forget it.

I agree with this.

Too many hunters want to think that they killed a good buck because of the work they did or the tactics they used like the TV guys all say. In reality pure chance plays as big of a role as anything in hunting but that doesn't give nearly as much thrill or satisfaction as being able to say I killed this buck because I did this ...

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3291918 - 07/15/13 10:51 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: de novo]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: de novo
Too many hunters want to think that they killed a good buck because of the work they did or the tactics they used like the TV guys all say.

Truly good hunters know that TV hunters are mostly full of crap, and would never use the useless tactics those TV hunters promote.

Quote:
In reality pure chance plays as big of a role as anything in hunting

For the not-so-good hunters, I agree. But I've seen way too many truly good hunters hunt public land and be successful time and again when others are not. That is not luck. It is the proper application of knowledge and skill.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3292019 - 07/15/13 12:32 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BSK]
de novo
10 Point

I didn't use a subjective term to describe hunters. Some would argue that a "truly good" hunter may have his own TV show and others would think that makes him full of crap.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3292085 - 07/15/13 02:37 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: de novo]
SALTMAN
8 Point

Loc: Cadiz Ky

I have used a variety of artificial water holes over the years , including the plastic kiddie pools. Keep your eyes open and you can usually find one alongside the interstate ! Have used other plastics also as well as digging a hole with the frontend loader and lining with the rubber lineers they use on commercial roofs. All were used by the deer especially during hot times. No mud either so no dead deer .
#3292625 - 07/16/13 08:10 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: de novo]
BSK
Non-Typical

I didn't use a subjective term to describe hunters. Some would argue that a "truly good" hunter may have his own TV show and others would think that makes him full of crap.

Perhaps there are some good hunters with TV shows. However, the hunters I know who have TV shows are not particularly good hunters. They have the successes they do because of the situations they are hunting. Put an average hunter in the same situation and they would have the same level of success.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3292750 - 07/16/13 09:54 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BSK]
de novo
10 Point

Anyone bother to put any livestock algae or mosquito treatments in their water pools?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16385

#3292793 - 07/16/13 10:25 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: de novo]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Anyone bother to put any livestock algae or mosquito treatments in their water pools?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16385

We have a small goldfish pond next to our padio. I get these things at Lowes called Mosquito Dunks. Kills larva and doesn't hurt the fish or anything. Haven't thought about taking some to watering holes or ponds

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3292879 - 07/16/13 11:27 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BHC]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Sometimes I make water to attract deer. Does that count?

#3292999 - 07/16/13 01:10 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BlountArrow]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
nope \:\)

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3293014 - 07/16/13 01:24 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BlountArrow]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow

I've peed from my stand many a time to attract deer, but I've never seen them actually drink it! ;\)

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
85 registered (BuckDropper, m_allison71, hunter drew, 1 good shot, Hammer, biglefty20, 11 invisible) and 113 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93160 Topics
1088186 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.112 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.