Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3288976 - 07/11/13 08:06 PM Anyone ever bring water to attract deer
Recoil
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

One of the leases I have in Williamson county--213 acres-- has food and cover, but no water. Just wondering, has anyone had any experience bringing in water to use as an attractant to get deer your spot? If so, how did you do it? I can't dig a pond, but was thinking of some portable storage container.
#3288980 - 07/11/13 08:09 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: Recoil]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

IMO, it might work in a drought year, but in a year like we are having in Williamson Co. it would be a total waste of time and money.

#3289021 - 07/11/13 09:03 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: scn]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

I like those cattle troughs in key locations.Maybe a waste of time and money but I don't have to guess if the deer would like a drink. I also put buckets on the edges of box blinds to catch water.I think water in several locations make it a non-issue as long as its on my land and I can release.

#3289424 - 07/12/13 10:54 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: diamond hunter]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

I dont think I have ever seen a deer take a drink of water.. i'm sure they do..... just never seen it..

#3289446 - 07/12/13 11:25 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: pressfit]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

Couple of years ago in a drought yr my buddy dug a small pond in the woods below his shooting house and hauled some water into it. After doing this his target buck hung around very often, he ended up getting him. 159" and some change.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P

#3289457 - 07/12/13 11:34 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: Roost 1]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

yes like other said in drought years water is key, but in non drought years, they can get water off leaves int he AM for condensation.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3289590 - 07/12/13 02:04 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: Bone Collector]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Just remember that although deer will and do drink free-standing water, they don't need to. My brother has a heck of a deer population around his place in the desert, and he just finally reached ONE inch of rain for the year. Deer can meet all of their water needs from the plants they eat.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3289692 - 07/12/13 04:38 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BSK]
DeerKiller2012
6 Point

Loc: Southern Middle TN

Year before last mid October small small mud hole . Really non hunt able because so thick just saw all the tracks and hung a camera .

#3289795 - 07/12/13 06:37 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BSK]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

content Online
BSk, In Southern California I found a small spring. came up at the crotch of two ridglines, ran maybe twenty feet across rocks, and disappeared into gravel.

That place drew every animal and bird in the region, I killed deer there every year. I watched quail drink, made me laugh it was just like the cartoons.

Deer cross my lease to get to water (and food). They may not need it but for sure they drink from it.

#3289806 - 07/12/13 06:59 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: DaveB]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

I agree with Daveb, they may not need it but everything wants what it can't have! Propertys with no water, I believe making a small pond in a high traffic area can be an awesome spot esp early season..! Deer don't need salt to survive or corn or acorns but that doesn't mean they don't want it... Now on a property like the one I hunt w a creek in every crook and cranny making a water source would be pointless and a waste... We have plenty water throughout the property even in drought yrs... But others it can be a great addition to your land and make a great stand site...

#3290078 - 07/13/13 06:37 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BHC]
Deck78
6 Point

Loc: hipster hollow

These days in Williamson 3 of the properties surrounding your lease probably have feeders and custom dug lakes so the property owners can feed and water their "pet" deer. It's getting harder to hunt the petting zoo \:\)

#3290089 - 07/13/13 07:10 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BHC]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BHC
I agree with Daveb, they may not need it but everything wants what it can't have! Propertys with no water, I believe making a small pond in a high traffic area can be an awesome spot esp early season..! Deer don't need salt to survive or corn or acorns but that doesn't mean they don't want it...

That was actually the point I was trying to make. Often I see posts listing the "critical needs of deer," and the list usually goes 1) food, 2) cover, 3) water. Personally, I wouldn't put free-standing water as a critical or even an important need. Now "need" and "attractant" are two different things. Certainly water acts as an attractant, especially in the early fall, which are usually our driest months.

But one word of caution. Although I've not seen any studies confirming my suspicions, a strong trend I have noted each time we have an EHD outbreak is: standing water = a lot of dead deer. Only tumbling water sources = far less dead deer. The midge that spreads EHD breeds in the mud of stagnant water. The properties I monitor that had ponds and small waterholes as a water source experienced massive die-offs. The properties with only rocky, tumbling creeks experienced very little die-off. This trend has been so strong through the last two big die-offs (2001 and 2007) that when clients ask about creating small waterholes on their property, I tell them I don't recommend it, for this very reason.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3290107 - 07/13/13 07:38 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BSK]
Deck78
6 Point

Loc: hipster hollow

^ good point! No reason to chance a healthy deer population with something that might otherwise be prevented

#3290235 - 07/13/13 10:31 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: Deck78]
Recoil
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Great info.
#3290237 - 07/13/13 10:35 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: Deck78]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I've hunted over some of the only available standing water sources in the areas I hunted on several occasions and I've yet to see a deer come to drink. Sometimes the ground would be littered with tracks and still no deer. I have seen deer stop and drink out of puddles after a rain but hunting a water source (even in hot, dry periods) has been a total bust. I'm inclined to believe they drink at night but get most of the moisture they require from their food.

#3290835 - 07/14/13 06:51 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BHC]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

Ive got pics last week of several deer drinking out of a blue plastic kiddie pool that I put by my salt last summer when it got so dry. Last summer they seemed to only look at the pool and not drink at all this year after it sat there for a year I have pics of them drinking every time I check my camera.
#3290843 - 07/14/13 07:10 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: jar]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

#3291123 - 07/14/13 03:25 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: jar]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Each property is unique but here is my .02

Hunters spend way too much time and money trying to get the deer to do what they want them to do, rather than learn what the deer are doing on their individual properties.

I think in many if not most cases, hunters would be better off spending less trying to manipulate the deer, and spending more on gas to go scout, or hunt.

One property we hunt has hundreds of acres of high quality agriculture on the river, oak and persimmons on the ridges, minerals and water in several locations. The deer have everything they need, yet one guy insists on planting food plots every fall and wonders why he rarely sees big bucks around the food plots. Through lots of hard work and time on the ground and in a tree, I have figured out 2 big buck "hot spots". There is nothing I could do to manipulate those deer. They do exactly what they want, when they want. Its on me to put in the time under perfect conditions to try and get one.

Conditions are perfect about 2x a season and IF I am lucky (last year) one of those days will be just before or during the rut. Hunt those spots when conditions are wrong and you can forget it.

#3291428 - 07/14/13 08:32 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: Mike Belt]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
I've hunted over some of the only available standing water sources in the areas I hunted on several occasions and I've yet to see a deer come to drink. Sometimes the ground would be littered with tracks and still no deer. I have seen deer stop and drink out of puddles after a rain but hunting a water source (even in hot, dry periods) has been a total bust. I'm inclined to believe they drink at night but get most of the moisture they require from their food.

Hunted a lot of water holes completely full of tracks, too. Done it on especially hot days and, you are correct: deer sightings are few and far between. I haven't given up on them and will continue to hunt them under the right conditions, but it sure can be tough. Mid bow season, for that matter, is tough. When there is mast everywhere and it is hot, water can still be a good option for that time of year.

Last season, I had some migraine problems one weekend and had to sleep in. I hunted 10 to mid afternoon shifts one 2 consecutive 90+ degree days over water holes. I saw deer, as many as 10 does moving midday. The water seemed to attract them near as some even bedded for awhile, but none of them drank. Tough, but better than many other options.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3291569 - 07/14/13 10:19 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: pressfit]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

Originally Posted By: pressfit
I dont think I have ever seen a deer take a drink of water.. i'm sure they do..... just never seen it..

I'll swanny... coming home from church this evening and I saw a doe up to her belly in the middle of a pond and a nice nice buck standing on the side taking a drink.... right after a downpour..LOL

#3291881 - 07/15/13 10:21 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: fishboy1]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
Each property is unique but here is my .02

Hunters spend way too much time and money trying to get the deer to do what they want them to do, rather than learn what the deer are doing on their individual properties.

I think in many if not most cases, hunters would be better off spending less trying to manipulate the deer, and spending more on gas to go scout, or hunt.

One property we hunt has hundreds of acres of high quality agriculture on the river, oak and persimmons on the ridges, minerals and water in several locations. The deer have everything they need, yet one guy insists on planting food plots every fall and wonders why he rarely sees big bucks around the food plots. Through lots of hard work and time on the ground and in a tree, I have figured out 2 big buck "hot spots". There is nothing I could do to manipulate those deer. They do exactly what they want, when they want. Its on me to put in the time under perfect conditions to try and get one.

Conditions are perfect about 2x a season and IF I am lucky (last year) one of those days will be just before or during the rut. Hunt those spots when conditions are wrong and you can forget it.

I agree with this.

Too many hunters want to think that they killed a good buck because of the work they did or the tactics they used like the TV guys all say. In reality pure chance plays as big of a role as anything in hunting but that doesn't give nearly as much thrill or satisfaction as being able to say I killed this buck because I did this ...

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3291918 - 07/15/13 10:51 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: de novo]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: de novo
Too many hunters want to think that they killed a good buck because of the work they did or the tactics they used like the TV guys all say.

Truly good hunters know that TV hunters are mostly full of crap, and would never use the useless tactics those TV hunters promote.

Quote:
In reality pure chance plays as big of a role as anything in hunting

For the not-so-good hunters, I agree. But I've seen way too many truly good hunters hunt public land and be successful time and again when others are not. That is not luck. It is the proper application of knowledge and skill.

#3292019 - 07/15/13 12:32 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BSK]
de novo
10 Point

I didn't use a subjective term to describe hunters. Some would argue that a "truly good" hunter may have his own TV show and others would think that makes him full of crap.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3292085 - 07/15/13 02:37 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: de novo]
SALTMAN
8 Point

Loc: Cadiz Ky

I have used a variety of artificial water holes over the years , including the plastic kiddie pools. Keep your eyes open and you can usually find one alongside the interstate ! Have used other plastics also as well as digging a hole with the frontend loader and lining with the rubber lineers they use on commercial roofs. All were used by the deer especially during hot times. No mud either so no dead deer .
#3292625 - 07/16/13 08:10 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: de novo]
BSK
Non-Typical

I didn't use a subjective term to describe hunters. Some would argue that a "truly good" hunter may have his own TV show and others would think that makes him full of crap.

Perhaps there are some good hunters with TV shows. However, the hunters I know who have TV shows are not particularly good hunters. They have the successes they do because of the situations they are hunting. Put an average hunter in the same situation and they would have the same level of success.

#3292750 - 07/16/13 09:54 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BSK]
de novo
10 Point

Anyone bother to put any livestock algae or mosquito treatments in their water pools?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16385

#3292793 - 07/16/13 10:25 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: de novo]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Anyone bother to put any livestock algae or mosquito treatments in their water pools?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16385

We have a small goldfish pond next to our padio. I get these things at Lowes called Mosquito Dunks. Kills larva and doesn't hurt the fish or anything. Haven't thought about taking some to watering holes or ponds

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3292879 - 07/16/13 11:27 AM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BHC]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Sometimes I make water to attract deer. Does that count?

#3292999 - 07/16/13 01:10 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BlountArrow]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
nope \:\)

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3293014 - 07/16/13 01:24 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BlountArrow]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow

I've peed from my stand many a time to attract deer, but I've never seen them actually drink it! ;\)

#3293032 - 07/16/13 01:45 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BSK]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Oddly enough I have done the same and I once had a doe lick the bush I had just soaked down.
#3293039 - 07/16/13 01:55 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: ]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

What had you been drinking?

#3293049 - 07/16/13 02:00 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BlountArrow]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

H2O. I guess she was browsing and got a bit more than she bargained for. She didn't seem to mind one bit.
#3293066 - 07/16/13 02:23 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: ]
BSK
Non-Typical

On a cold October morning, I watched a doe and twin fawns at the base of my stand tree eat white oak acorns that were still steaming from my piss! But then I've called in a bunch of deer by pissing from the stand.

#3293074 - 07/16/13 02:32 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
But then I've called in a bunch of deer by pissing from the stand.

Most effective deer call that exists.

#3293118 - 07/16/13 03:22 PM Re: Anyone ever bring water to attract deer [Re: Wes Parrish]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: BSK
But then I've called in a bunch of deer by pissing from the stand.

Most effective deer call that exists.

x2

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
53 registered (easy45, GOODWIN, chebuck, HuntNShoot, Cull Buck Hunter, biglefty20, 9 invisible) and 85 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
91006 Topics
1063481 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.