Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3287959 - 07/10/13 09:08 PM best time of the year for prescribed burn?
drrxnupe
6 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN & Oxford, MS

content Online
I have been told many different times by many different people. Ideally, I'd like to wait until after deer season but is that optimal?
#3288214 - 07/11/13 07:28 AM Re: best time of the year for prescribed burn? [Re: drrxnupe]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

content Online
Numerous factors but it depends on variables related to your timber stand and overall goals. Age/species of the stand, fuel load, regeneration targets, weather conditions, humidity, etc. Many burns (in planted pines of mature mixed stands for example) seem to take place Jan-Mar with some of the goals being to simply reduce fuel load + competition, and encourage re-emergence of native forbs/grasses. This is when I do 99% of my burning in pines and try to maintain a relatively "cool" fire.

I've also seen burning during the hot months though when the goal may be to have a fire intense enough to top kill undesirable species to a point they will completely die during the winter. Really depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

#3288220 - 07/11/13 07:32 AM Re: best time of the year for prescribed burn? [Re: Boll Weevil]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

August according to Grant Woods.

#3288261 - 07/11/13 08:13 AM Re: best time of the year for prescribed burn? [Re: muddyboots]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
August according to Grant Woods.

Late July through early September will give you a hot fire that will kill off a majority of the saplings in young re-generational growth.

It all depends on what you’re burning. A burn in the early Spring will most likely also top kill a lot of saplings but their roots will still be alive and they will begin growing again very quickly.

Both could be benefical to wildlife. It just depends on your goals.

#3288291 - 07/11/13 08:33 AM Re: best time of the year for prescribed burn? [Re: Bayou Buck]
drrxnupe
6 Point

content Online
In my situation, timber was sold on the property about 8 or 9 years ago. The people that harvested the timber did a horrible job. They took the logs but left tree tops scattered all over the place. We now have sticker briars and a bunch of random brush that is extremely thick. I have been able to go in and move a lot of stuff with my tractor. Was also able to bush hog some as well.

The remaining trees are mostly pine and oak. I'd just like to try and clear underbrush and remove the trash the loggers left behind. I know it will probably require 2-3 days of bull dozing which we plan to do in the future as well.

#3288348 - 07/11/13 09:16 AM Re: best time of the year for prescribed burn? [Re: drrxnupe]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

content Online
 Originally Posted By: drrxnupe
In my situation, timber was sold on the property about 8 or 9 years ago. The people that harvested the timber did a horrible job. They took the logs but left tree tops scattered all over the place. We now have sticker briars and a bunch of random brush that is extremely thick. I have been able to go in and move a lot of stuff with my tractor. Was also able to bush hog some as well.

The remaining trees are mostly pine and oak. I'd just like to try and clear underbrush and remove the trash the loggers left behind. I know it will probably require 2-3 days of bull dozing which we plan to do in the future as well.
Just wondering why you wanna clean it up?Sounds great for deer.Whats "pretty" to us is not the same to deer.Sounds like you will be taking away food and cover to me.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3288569 - 07/11/13 12:29 PM Re: best time of the year for prescribed burn? [Re: Football Hunter]
drrxnupe
6 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

Just wondering why you wanna clean it up?Sounds great for deer.Whats "pretty" to us is not the same to deer.Sounds like you will be taking away food and cover to me.

One reason why I want to clean up some is that we have a competing property adjacent to us that has been well managed over the last 5 or so years. They have some very nice food plots and they have burned and bull dozed a few times. They kill a ton of trophy bucks and a bunch of turkey every year. In addition, I put out trail cams back in March and I barely have any deer activity (even around trophy rocks and deer cane). I assume that burning would help reestablish natural forage and also reopen a few areas for us to do food plots. The farm is 206 acres and is 85-90% wooded according to tax assessor.

#3288598 - 07/11/13 12:55 PM Re: best time of the year for prescribed burn? [Re: drrxnupe]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

content Online
I assume that burning would help reestablish natural forage and also reopen a few areas for us to do food plots.

Another thing you might consider in those areas with young pine/hardwood regeneration is thinning a little rather than pushing everything out and getting it "clean." Not designed to make any money today, but it will setting you up for some return down the road while benefiting wildlife exactly as you mention above.

Here's a couple of pics (albeit...crappy phone pics) of an area that might be somewhat like the 8-9 year old area you mention. We rolled through a little while back with saws rather than a dozer taking out gum, cedar, elm and such while leaving well-spaced oaks and pines. It's simply amazing how quickly that native forage jumps once it's opened up a little and that sunlight hits the ground. A few months ago you couldn't see 2ft in any direction and there was virtually zero food value. While the result might not be pretty to us the critters respond to it positively.

#3288603 - 07/11/13 12:58 PM Re: best time of the year for prescribed burn? [Re: drrxnupe]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

If the farm has 8-9 year old growth you probably have tons of cover but not much food at the deers level. You may want to look at getting it sprayed with herbicide this summer and then you can burn in the early spring before green up. Then keep burning on a 3 to 5 year rotation.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
99 registered (monsterbuck07, WVBulldog, Bullfrog, Gonefishing2, OHVATN, doubledownranch, 11 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93091 Topics
1087898 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.241 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.