content Online
which unit is the best?

#3288255 - 07/11/13 08:06 AM Re: Presidents Island [Re: catman529]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

content Online
Flood was 2011, drought/record low water conditions was 2012. Here are a few pics we took while out surveying the MS River during the record flood of 2011, pretty sure it was middle of June after the water had receded somewhat.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3288259 - 07/11/13 08:12 AM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Hillbilly Hunter
which unit is the best?
FWIW, I put in for "Presidents Island - excluding Ensley Unit" every year, which is the main PI unit to us locals. Don't get me wrong, there are magnum caliber deer to be killed on both units, I just prefer the bigger parcel of land and the layout a little better than the Ensley Bottoms Unit.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3288279 - 07/11/13 08:22 AM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Andy S.]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Andy S.
which unit is the best?
FWIW, I put in for "Presidents Island - excluding Ensley Unit" every year, which is the main PI unit to us locals. Don't get me wrong, there are magnum caliber deer to be killed on both units, I just prefer the bigger parcel of land and the layout a little better than the Ensley Bottoms Unit.

I agree with Andy. The Ensley Unit can be problematic for these types of hunts. Some years you may need hip boots to hunt it, plus its fairly small and, from the first hand reports I have heard, the scouting pressure can easily chase many of the deer out of the area. Big deer are killed there, I'd just rather have the acreage of the island proper to distribute pressure more evenly.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3288384 - 07/11/13 09:49 AM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Poser]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: Andy S.
which unit is the best?

I agree with Andy. The Ensley Unit can be problematic for these types of hunts. Some years you may need hip boots to hunt it, plus its fairly small and, from the first hand reports I have heard, the scouting pressure can easily chase many of the deer out of the area. Big deer are killed there, I'd just rather have the acreage of the island proper to distribute pressure more evenly.

Good advice, I hunted Ensley a few yrs ago and the scout day alone sends many of the mature deer scampering across the Levy and gone! I watched literally a dozen mature bucks leave myself.

#3288795 - 07/11/13 03:56 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Winchester]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Winchester
I hunted Ensley a few yrs ago and the scout day alone sends many of the mature deer scampering across the Levy and gone! I watched literally a dozen mature bucks leave myself.

Where did they go, i.e. onto PI or onto private land that wasn't part of the WMA?

The Ensley Unit can be problematic for these types of hunts. Some years you may need hip boots to hunt it . . . . .

But for those experienced in hunting the swamps and backwater of the Mississippi, needing those hip boots could turn into a big advantage.

#3288828 - 07/11/13 04:34 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Wes Parrish]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
I hunted Ensley a few yrs ago and the scout day alone sends many of the mature deer scampering across the Levy and gone! I watched literally a dozen mature bucks leave myself.

Where did they go, i.e. onto PI or onto private land that wasn't part of the WMA?

The Ensley Unit can be problematic for these types of hunts. Some years you may need hip boots to hunt it . . . . .

But for those experienced in hunting the swamps and backwater of the Mississippi, needing those hip boots could turn into a big advantage.

True, deer do live in those conditions. Anyone who has hunted in the Hatchie bottoms can attest to amphibian deer, but, do most hunters want to spend their PI hunt in thigh deep water?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3288929 - 07/11/13 07:05 PM Re: Presidents Island [Re: Poser]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

If I thought if would get me closer to some of those monsters I would have know problem

True, deer do live in those conditions. Anyone who has hunted in the Hatchie bottoms can attest to amphibian deer, but, do most hunters want to spend their PI hunt in thigh deep water?

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
122 registered (Poser, PRICE, WRbowhunter, SEC, rooketnhunter, TS_13, 11 invisible) and 175 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95711 Topics
1120495 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.845 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.