Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3287678 - 07/10/13 03:54 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: bowriter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Regarding Mr. Wensel's article, regarding hunting, those were perhaps the best and most "spot on" thoughts I've seen in print in years.

I agree with about 97% of his thoughts. Maybe when I gain the wisdom of his age and experiences, we'll come into greater agreement. \:\)

And since many have "nitpicked" and some outright disagreed (not even having the ability or willingness to read the article), I did say I didn't agree with about 3% . . . . . . . so . . . . .

Originally Posted By: BSK
Since we're going to nitpick. . . like scn, I really don't think what weapon is in your hands matters at all. It's about being a hunter of deer versus being a shooter of deer.

Exactly, and I believe Mr. Wensel's great message is in fact to recognize the distinction between "hunting" and "shooting". Perhaps he's using archery somewhat as a metaphor. After all, there are plenty of bowhunters doing some very unethical "shooting" of arrows, some of whom celebrate themselves on TV by broadcasting extreme long-range, low-probability bow shots.

If you can place yourself in close proximity to hunter-wary deer, it doesn't matter what you shoot the deer with.

I agree, and would bet, so does Mr. Wensel. But he may have come to understand human nature better than many of us young whippersnappers, thus to some degree is using archery as a metaphor to make some key points.

You still had to use the same level of skill to get that close as if you were carry a long-bow, side-hammer MZ, or open-sighted 30-30.

Technically, correct, regarding getting close. But regarding the challenge of actually killing the animal, there is usually considerably more skill required when one is hunting with a traditional bow.

My second minor grip involves this passage:

"I can’t help but ask myself why high-tech hunters, once they “master” their hunting tools, don’t naturally and instinctively realize such and revert to increasing personal challenge levels one way or another rather than pushing onward."

My gripe is, why does hunting have to be about increasing personal challenge? I think most hunters do look at hunting through this prism, but I don't think they have to. I "did" the "increasing personal challenge" thing for many years. But eventually, I no longer wanted hunting to be about "raising the bar." I just wanted to hunt and enjoy time in the woods with friends and family. The joy of hunting became more about "having hunted"--the tradition and the soul-rejuvenating experience--rather than any personal accomplishments.

Actually, isn't making the decision to hunt and enjoy time in the woods with friends and family somewhat as Mr. Wensel said, . . . "rather than pushing onward."??

Regarding that "one way or another", some of my "ways" include:

1) Not taking anything less than very high-probability shots (for whatever weapon I have in hand).
----- And isn't this also an example of "not pushing onward"?

2) Focusing more on a buck's age than his antlers.

3) Passing up deer I might normally shoot for no other reason than wanting to give a friend an increased opportunity on that particular animal.

These are among some of my ideals that have evolved over time, and I admit I've not followed them as well I should. In fact, a few years ago, I repeatedly passed up a particular 4 1/2-yr-old buck, only to make the decision to take him as I watched him walking towards another hunter. Well, at least the other hunter was a stranger. \:\) But my bad, for being somewhat selfish, as I really had had no desire to take that particular buck.

#3287713 - 07/10/13 04:23 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: Wes Parrish]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have hunted with Gene several times. Be hard to find a more ethical and moral hunter. Hunts his way, let's you hunt yours. Not once has he ever said a wordor given me a sideway glance when I drag outmy crossbow. Doesn't bother him a bit. It isn't equipment he is decrying, it is attitude brought on by equipment in the handsof some. He is mourning the loss of tradition and the passing on of tradition, the respect and values some older hunters are seeing vanish.

What he is saying is something very few young people can understand because theynever knew it, knew only what they saw on television. To think he is a bitter old man is to lack the age and experience to understand what he has written and perhaps the ability to ever understand it. There are many who have killed truck loads of larger antlered deer than Gene and have no idea what he is talking about or will ever be the hunter he is because it is not about killing or what you kill or what you kill it with.

It is about the hunt and the respect for not just the game but the hunt itself. The loss of that is what he is mourning.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3287725 - 07/10/13 04:37 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: bowriter]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I understand it bowriter and that what kind of the point the I picked up from reading it. As I posted before the reason for hunting seems to be changing, the only way I know this is because the way I was raised to hunt is completely different, and it almost even has a different objective, than what is being made "popular" by hunting TV.

#3287735 - 07/10/13 04:47 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: MattR]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Yep

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3287740 - 07/10/13 04:53 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: bowriter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
It isn't equipment he is decrying, it is attitude brought on by equipment in the hands of some. He is mourning the loss of tradition and the passing on of tradition, the respect and values some older hunters are seeing vanish.

What he is saying is something very few young people can understand because they never knew it, knew only what they saw on television. To think he is a bitter old man is to lack the age and experience to understand what he has written and perhaps the ability to ever understand it.

Now with this, I agree 100%. \:\)

Originally Posted By: bowriter
There are many who have killed truck loads of larger antlered deer than Gene and have no idea what he is talking about or will ever be the hunter he is because it is not about killing or what you kill or what you kill it with.

It is about the hunt and the respect for not just the game but the hunt itself. The loss of that is what he is mourning.

Actually, I doubt 1% of the top 1% of hunters have killed as many large-antlered bucks as Mr. Wensel. But that said, in part due to his personal choice of hunting with a recurve bow, he has by personal choice let many large-antlered bucks walk, which would have been easy kills for anyone carrying any kind of firearm. His accomplishments should not be measured by the number of bucks on his wall, although he had taken many P&Y class bucks with a recurve bow decades before most of his critics were born.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Vermin93, robin48, jakebird, Kayman12, skillet licker) and 67 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.