Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3288160 - 07/11/13 06:13 AM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: jlmustain]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: jlmustain
Thanks, y'all! I have several of the Rage Chisels, so I guess I'll use those. I screwed up my practice head, and it sucks knowing how much those jokers cost on eBay. If anyone has any extras they'd be willing to sell, let me know.

I have some Rage practice heads that I will give you. They are 100 grain, 2 blade practice heads, though not sure if there is a difference with the chisels. I always found that the Rage's flew the same as fieldpoints, so I didn't need the practice heads since they needlessly trash your targets.

PM me your address and I'll send you a couple. I don't plan on using them again.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3288245 - 07/11/13 07:56 AM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: Poser]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

I don't have any personal experience with Rage. Just never cared for them personally. I bought one pack and never shot a deer with them. But the people I have seen shoot them NORMALLY have huge exit wounds. I shoot the 2" cut Grim Reapers and they leave an exit wound the size of a coke can. I've heard the Tekan T3 will do the same.

#3288289 - 07/11/13 08:31 AM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: Poser]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: knightrider
 Originally Posted By: redheadshooter
 Originally Posted By: Nhill
If you use fixed blades, you definitly need to practice with your broadheads to tune them. Expandables are supposed to fly the same as field points, but I would still test them.
Like everyone else says; they both have pros and cons.

Broadheads:
pros - reliable, reusable, usually stonger
cons - have to tune them to the arrow - practice is hard on targets

mechanical:
pros - supposed to fly the same as a field point,
cons - sometimes one use heads, some have rubberbands to deal with, possiblity of mechanical failure, not as strong as fixed

You forgot to add bigger entrance and exit wounds, larger wound channels leading to bigger blood trails and a quicker more ethical kill on the pro's side of the mechanicals.

Penetration is better with a fixed head. If you are shooting a low poundage bow or going after bigger game than deer, I would go with a fixed.

But Rage's have terrible exit wounds. They are the size of a pin. Entrance wouds are big, though.
never seen that! big going in and big coming out, with gruesome bloodtrails

It's impossible for then to leaved "big" exit wounds since the blades have already deployed and closed up.
im not following? blades dont close up coming out they are in the 2 in folded back position. how can they fold forward coming out the other side. i have always had 2-2.5 in going in and 2 in coming out

#3288300 - 07/11/13 08:37 AM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: redheadshooter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I don't have any personal experience with Rage. Just never cared for them personally. I bought one pack and never shot a deer with them. But the people I have seen shoot them NORMALLY have huge exit wounds. I shoot the 2" cut Grim Reapers and they leave an exit wound the size of a coke can. I've heard the Tekan T3 will do the same.

I still don't understand how the exit wounds can be "huge?" Have you looked at the circumference of a Rage's once it has been deployed? Its 3/4ths of an inch diameter at that point. How can it leave a huge exit wound? Entrance wound, yes. Exit wounds, no.

I used Rage's for 4 seasons, killed multiple deer with them, some at very steep angles, but only once ever had a complete "pass through" shot while shooting a 70# bow. I had excellent entrance wounds, but would generally loose a lot of energy upon deployment and generally find the arrow had stopped upon exiting. I never saw an exit woud larger than 3/4th of an inch and do not see how it is possible to consistently have an exit wound larger than the size of the deployed broadhead. Most of the time, the blades were bent beyond repair after a kill shot. The ones that were not bent, didn't resharpen very easily. The O-rings require constant attention and, if you draw and let down your bow, the blades would often skip out of o-rings, meaning that you had to reposition them inorder to draw your bow again.

I liked that they flew like field points. I even convinced myself to defend them on this forum. Most or all criticisms of them are entirely fair: They are cheaply made, they lose significant energy upon deployment, they are flimsy, can be noisy, o-rings are susceptible to damage, they are often times only good for one kill (disposable razors), they are expensive, over hyped, and their marketing campaign is cheesy. But, they do fly like field points and leave huge entry wounds.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3288382 - 07/11/13 09:46 AM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: Poser]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I still don't understand how the exit wounds can be "huge?" Have you looked at the circumference of a Rage's once it has been deployed? Its 3/4ths of an inch diameter at that point. How can it leave a huge exit wound? Entrance wound, yes. Exit wounds, no.

I used Rage's for 4 seasons, killed multiple deer with them, some at very steep angles, but only once ever had a complete "pass through" shot while shooting a 70# bow. I had excellent entrance wounds, but would generally loose a lot of energy upon deployment and generally find the arrow had stopped upon exiting. I never saw an exit woud larger than 3/4th of an inch and do not see how it is possible to consistently have an exit wound larger than the size of the deployed broadhead. Most of the time, the blades were bent beyond repair after a kill shot. The ones that were not bent, didn't resharpen very easily. The O-rings require constant attention and, if you draw and let down your bow, the blades would often skip out of o-rings, meaning that you had to reposition them inorder to draw your bow again.

I liked that they flew like field points. I even convinced myself to defend them on this forum. Most or all criticisms of them are entirely fair: They are cheaply made, they lose significant energy upon deployment, they are flimsy, can be noisy, o-rings are susceptible to damage, they are often times only good for one kill (disposable razors), they are expensive, over hyped, and their marketing campaign is cheesy. But, they do fly like field points and leave huge entry wounds.

This post makes it easy for me to stay away from them!!!

Quote:
deerhunter10
8 Point

Loc: maury county tn

i shoot expendables. and i would not recommend shooting two different broad heads. find one stick to it and tune your bow for it.

I disagree 100% on tuning your bow to fit a head you have chosen. Exact opposite, tune your bow and in turn tune your arrows and broadheads and all will be well. Never change your tuned bow to accommodate an unturned arrow and or head!

#3288392 - 07/11/13 09:54 AM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: Poser]
redheadshooter
6 Point

The same way you have a big entrance wound. When an object is pushing against the top of the blades, they will be fully deployed. If it's a 2" cut when it enters the deer's skin, it SHOULD be a 2" cut when it exits. It's basically doing the same thing on both sides.

Everything else about Rage we couldn't agree more on. I think the penetration of the heads is awfull (one of the worst) and very weak. That's why I don't use them. I didn't mention Rage heads in my original post about entrance and exit wounds. I was thinking about my Grim Reapers!!! HAHAHA

#3288397 - 07/11/13 09:57 AM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: Winchester]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Winchester
I disagree 100% on tuning your bow to fit a head you have chosen. Exact opposite, tune your bow and in turn tune your arrows and broadheads and all will be well. Never change your tuned bow to accommodate an unturned arrow and or head!

Very well said.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Brownitsdown10, willis_11, JCS) and 68 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.