Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3287614 - 07/10/13 02:39 PM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: Football Hunter]
Nhill
8 Point

Loc: Maryville, TN

If you use fixed blades, you definitly need to practice with your broadheads to tune them. Expandables are supposed to fly the same as field points, but I would still test them.
Like everyone else says; they both have pros and cons.

Broadheads:
pros - reliable, reusable, usually stonger
cons - have to tune them to the arrow - practice is hard on targets

mechanical:
pros - supposed to fly the same as a field point,
cons - sometimes one use heads, some have rubberbands to deal with, possiblity of mechanical failure, not as strong as fixed

#3287673 - 07/10/13 03:46 PM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: Nhill]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

Originally Posted By: Nhill
If you use fixed blades, you definitly need to practice with your broadheads to tune them. Expandables are supposed to fly the same as field points, but I would still test them.

Broadheads:

mechanical:
cons - sometimes one use heads, some have rubberbands to deal with, possiblity of mechanical failure, not as strong as fixed

You forgot to add bigger entrance and exit wounds, larger wound channels leading to bigger blood trails and a quicker more ethical kill on the pro's side of the mechanicals.

Penetration is better with a fixed head. If you are shooting a low poundage bow or going after bigger game than deer, I would go with a fixed.

#3287733 - 07/10/13 04:47 PM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: redheadshooter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: redheadshooter

Broadheads:

mechanical:

You forgot to add bigger entrance and exit wounds, larger wound channels leading to bigger blood trails and a quicker more ethical kill on the pro's side of the mechanicals.

Penetration is better with a fixed head. If you are shooting a low poundage bow or going after bigger game than deer, I would go with a fixed.

But Rage's have terrible exit wounds. They are the size of a pin. Entrance wouds are big, though.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3287900 - 07/10/13 08:24 PM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: Football Hunter]
BAMA BOW MERKER
6 Point

Loc: Dyer County, TN

content Online
I've had great luck with expandable, fixed will work great as well. Personally just a preference, get what you pay for. Expandable prob gives you more room for error in the guts/liver. Fixed better penatration through bone. Rage chisel was nasty for me last year.

#3287972 - 07/10/13 09:16 PM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: BAMA BOW MERKER]
jlmustain
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Thanks, y'all! I have several of the Rage Chisels, so I guess I'll use those. I screwed up my practice head, and it sucks knowing how much those jokers cost on eBay. If anyone has any extras they'd be willing to sell, let me know.

#3288027 - 07/10/13 10:02 PM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: jlmustain]
Elmer
6 Point

Loc: Ft. Campbell/Montgomery co.

Mechs, 1 3/8 reeper. Your welcome

Mathews Reezen, CVA Wolf, 7mmWSM

#3288030 - 07/10/13 10:04 PM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: Poser]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: Poser

Broadheads:

mechanical:

But Rage's have terrible exit wounds. They are the size of a pin. Entrance wouds are big, though.
never seen that! big going in and big coming out, with gruesome bloodtrails

#3288045 - 07/10/13 10:19 PM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: Football Hunter]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

i shoot expendables. and i would not recommend shooting two different broad heads. find one stick to it and tune your bow for it.

#3288067 - 07/10/13 10:48 PM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: knightrider]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: knightrider
 Originally Posted By: Poser

Broadheads:

mechanical:

never seen that! big going in and big coming out, with gruesome bloodtrails

It's impossible for then to leaved "big" exit wounds since the blades have already deployed and closed up.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3288069 - 07/10/13 10:52 PM Re: Fixed vs. Expandable Broadheads [Re: deerhunter10]
david k.
4 Point

Loc: Arlington, TN

I've shot both over the years but settled on the G5 Montec fixed blades a few years ago.

They are very easy to sharpen, and keep sharp, with just a flat stone, I never have to buy replacement blades, they shoot very well for me in my setup and they seem almost indestructible....shoot a deer, wash them off, run them across a stone a few times on each side and they are ready to go again.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
two1980, Darrenduhl, 2winsrus, jacmac, Smokeymtnbow
13101 Registered Users
Who's Online
82 registered (DirtyBear0311, Slacker, JWW4, volsgo1, mrw, Savage Knight, 7 invisible) and 149 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13101 Members
42 Forums
88800 Topics
1038915 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.261 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.