Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3287211 - 07/10/13 08:56 AM Are you wasting $ on food plots?
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
http://www.realtree.com/hunting/articles-and-how-to/are-you-wasting-money-on-food-plots

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3287229 - 07/10/13 09:10 AM Re: Are you wasting $ on food plots? [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

"And, in my personal experiences, food plots are as overhyped as a Tom Cruise movie."

I've been saying this for years.

On a priority list of time and expenditures for managing a deer hunting property, I would place food plots low on the list.

Unfortunately, seed sellers' advertising dollars and their influence on hunting shows and deer hunting magazines have convinced deer hunters that food plots are the end-all be-all of hunting and management. In certain situations, food plots can be a useful and even powerful tool. But they are not critical nor the most important aspect of habitat/herd management.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3287254 - 07/10/13 09:33 AM Re: Are you wasting $ on food plots? [Re: BSK]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

No, in reply to the original post. \:\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3287258 - 07/10/13 09:36 AM Re: Are you wasting $ on food plots? [Re: BSK]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

I agree that in some locales this could be case (especially since the article clearly focused on deer-only and references the midwest setting).

On the other hand, the benefit to an overall wildlife management plan seems pretty different in my mind. For me, manipulating and improving native groceries + providing food, edge, in the right size/location, etc does great things for all sorts of wildlife big and small alike.

I tend to not focus only on deer (which I think was the author's intent for this article). I always try to look at the whole picture and will certainly continue to plant a little going forward.

#3287267 - 07/10/13 09:42 AM Re: Are you wasting $ on food plots? [Re: Boll Weevil]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i think they are overhyped as well. i also think they can lead to a less skilled, more sedintary (cant ever spell that word)hunter, who develops the pattern of just sitting on the age of a foodplot each hunt. I put out food plots as well, but rarely kill a mature buck in one.

#3287276 - 07/10/13 09:46 AM Re: Are you wasting $ on food plots? [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: redblood
i also think they can lead to a less skilled, more sedintary (cant ever spell that word)hunter, who develops the pattern of just sitting on the age of a foodplot each hunt.

Yep. I agree.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3287340 - 07/10/13 10:32 AM Re: Are you wasting $ on food plots? [Re: Poser]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

I've quoted my local TWRA biologist a few times on here. His opinions are, "Food plots benefit us hunters who like to play in the dirt more than they benefit the deer." I wish earlier on I would have dedicated more efforts to habitat mgt and less focus on planting food plots. I still plant food plots but it's not my main focus. However, right or wrong, I like to hope that maybe just maybe it makes my property a little more appealing to the deer. And, I very, very rarely hunt them for the reason just stated above; I'm just afraid of turning any of my plots into an area of "distrust" for the deer.

#3287364 - 07/10/13 10:42 AM Re: Are you wasting $ on food plots? [Re: Poser]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Well there is no "magic Seed" and it seems he tried to plant them,
everything I read tells you it takes a couple of years before deer start using those types of plants.

And everything else he is talking about would be part of a Management Plan take BSK may write out for someone on there land.
Me I plant clover and oats, with a little wheat at times, plus I'm letting a few field edges get dirty for bedding areas, which they have started using. I will continue to plant but I'm talking about
nearly 10% of the land, I also just cut timber for bedding areas and opened up 7-8 acres more now in clover. I have the food, I have the game, no neighbor plants food if any, one or two may have 1 acre in plots. In about 1,800 acres around us we have 700, most of the deer funnel across me to get to crop ground, this fall we will hit close to 55 acres of food plots and cover fields. There adjoining land owners, which all gets hunted mite
have 3-5 acres. Clover is King for me, everything else is no-tilled in.

For me I will continue to plant, guess its what I love to do,
its in my blood from both grandfathers who farmed, maybe I'm a
Stewart of the Land as much as Hunter, that's OK with me.

But food plots are a real part of a wildlife management plan,
could be this guy doesn't know squat about planting, could be his
place didn't need food anyway, my place was know to be a great
hunting tract before I owned it, without food, could be this guy wanted to stir people up. I see it all the time on tracts of land that I show, list and sell, the little plots aren't cutting it or making a difference, but some are DEADLY.

Me, you know I'll be on my tractors again when time comes

LandMan

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3287401 - 07/10/13 11:17 AM Re: Are you wasting $ on food plots? [Re: landman]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

In my situation, I don't feel its wasted. In an area with 90% hardwoods, food plots provide a definite niche for high quality forage for a variety of wildlife. The key is that plots are just a part of an overall habitat management plan. You also have to encourage natural browse, etc, etc. My plots have done more for turkey on my property than anything really. Im in an area with a very low deer density( I can grow less than 1 acre soybean plots with no protection), prior to purchase and during the first year, I literally had only 2 bucks using the whole place that I knew about through camera survey. Now I hit 10-15 bucks every year moving through, how much of that is related directly to food plots? I don't know but it definitely has made a difference. As for turkey, the first couple of years I owned that place, I was very lucky to even hear a gobble in the vicinity of my place and that was just early in the year, those would leave come Mid-April with green up. Now I have 8-12 gobblers hanging around every Spring, all Spring and actually feel comfortable taking a few. I don't deer hunt my plots simply because the deer wise up to that very fast, and mature bucks just don't cruise through them very often in the daylight, it just wouldn't be an effective way of hunting mature bucks in my situation.

Anyway, I too will be on the ATV and tractor planting yet again this Fall because I really enjoy doing the work, and I really enjoy seeing the benefits.

#3287414 - 07/10/13 11:28 AM Re: Are you wasting $ on food plots? [Re: smstone22]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

Originally Posted By: smstone22
In my situation, I don't feel its wasted. In an area with 90% hardwoods, food plots provide a definite niche for high quality forage for a variety of wildlife. The key is that plots are just a part of an overall habitat management plan. You also have to encourage natural browse, etc, etc. My plots have done more for turkey on my property than anything really. Im in an area with a very low deer density( I can grow less than 1 acre soybean plots with no protection), prior to purchase and during the first year, I literally had only 2 bucks using the whole place that I knew about through camera survey. Now I hit 10-15 bucks every year moving through, how much of that is related directly to food plots? I don't know but it definitely has made a difference. As for turkey, the first couple of years I owned that place, I was very lucky to even hear a gobble in the vicinity of my place and that was just early in the year, those would leave come Mid-April with green up. Now I have 8-12 gobblers hanging around every Spring, all Spring and actually feel comfortable taking a few. I don't deer hunt my plots simply because the deer wise up to that very fast, and mature bucks just don't cruise through them very often in the daylight, it just wouldn't be an effective way of hunting mature bucks in my situation.

Anyway, I too will be on the ATV and tractor planting yet again this Fall because I really enjoy doing the work, and I really enjoy seeing the benefits.

I completely agree. I feel like your habitat depends on whether it was wasted or not. I have hardwoods and roads. No crops for miles. Food plots are beneficial to ALL involved in this situation.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
74 registered (blu goose, Poser, JMcB, leader, Redwing, Nealmeally, 11 invisible) and 112 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90976 Topics
1063150 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.045 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.