Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3287153 - 07/10/13 07:51 AM Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed!
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed

We have an update on the geese removal at Chattanooga State last week.

The school ordered the removal of about a hundred geese from the campus because they had become a nuisance to students and motorists.

At the time, a spokesperson said the birds would not be harmed, but it turns out, they were destroyed.

The U-S-D-A Wildlife Services agency made the decision to kill them, after no suitable site was available to relocate them.

That fact, dismays Chattanooga State President Jim Catanzaro.. he says, last week, having the geese removed, seemed to be the right thing to do, although he says, euthanization was a possibility.

The removal was done by the USDA Wildlife Services agency, and District Supervisor Keith Blanton says, the search for a suitable location was begun in earnest.

He says, no site was ever found, and as a result, the geese were euthanized by what he says, were methods, "approved by the American Veterinary Association." But it turns out, the Canada geese at Chattanooga State may have been hurt.. permanently, in fact, destroyed.

Ben Layton with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency says, U-S-D-A wildlife services makes a determination on killing the geese, if there is no available place to released. Layton says, with no site available, the only other option the USDA would have taken would be to destroy them.

Chattanooga State President Jim Catanzaro is dismayed to learn the news. "I was truly saddened by it," he says, "because we did not intend, we never intended, I certainly didn't, to have an outcome like this."

He says, the fact that they must have been killed, will change the school's removal procedure in the future. "I think, in the future, if we're going to do any relocation, we're going to do it ourselves."

The Humane Society of the U-S agrees with Catanzaro. On its website, the Humane Society says killing overgrown flocks of geese is NOT the answer and represents, at best, a TEMPORARY solution.

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top-sto...lled-6171.shtml

Some of these geese would have just hatched in the last couple of months even, probably just out of down! What a sorry attempt at a solution from the USDA!

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3287155 - 07/10/13 07:54 AM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

No suitable site for relocation found?! Are you kidding me! What about Soddy Lake, Dayton, Watts Bar Lake, Nickajack, or maybe HIWASSEE BIRD REFUGE!!! At the VERY least they could have been donated to HFTH imo. \:\(

#3287183 - 07/10/13 08:32 AM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: MUP]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I'm sure it was a rushed attempt..... they could have brought them to Tims Ford Lake and we could have hunted them in September.

Pretty sorry either way.... I doubt any effort was really exhausted to find a place.

#3287198 - 07/10/13 08:40 AM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

This might sound really bad but this really doesn't bother, in a lot of locations that have a resident flock of geese they are a total nuisance, we have a pretty sizable flock at the park I work at and they are quite irritating

#3287212 - 07/10/13 08:56 AM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: easy45]
MUP
Non-Typical

Same as capturing a herd of nuisance deer, and just killing them imo.... just a waste.

#3287218 - 07/10/13 09:01 AM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: MUP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I don't see what the big deal is. They are overpopulated anyway, plus, they ain't even supposed to be here. They are supposed to be migrating back to North for the summer.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3287220 - 07/10/13 09:04 AM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: Poser]
MUP
Non-Typical

The big deal, at least to me anyway, is that they were wasted.

#3287226 - 07/10/13 09:09 AM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: easy45]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Originally Posted By: easy45
This might sound really bad but this really doesn't bother, in a lot of locations that have a resident flock of geese they are a total nuisance, we have a pretty sizable flock at the park I work at and they are quite irritating

Is your park open to hunting?

#3287233 - 07/10/13 09:13 AM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: MUP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: MUP

SCN will probably chime in on this, but my understanding is that depredated animals may not legally be taken for meat. If a farmer has a depredation permit for deer, for example, meat may not be taken.

Its not the end of the world, the food chain will quickly take care of the carcasses.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3287236 - 07/10/13 09:15 AM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: Poser]
doubledownranch
8 Point

Loc: Old Hickory / Watertown

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: MUP

SCN will probably chime in on this, but my understanding is that depredated animals may not legally be taken for meat. If a farmer has a depredation permit for deer, for example, meat may not be taken.

Its not the end of the world, the food chain will quickly take care of the carcasses.

When I got my depredation permit, TWRA wanted to know how I would dispose of the dead animals. I answered that I planned on eating them and putting them in the freezer. I was then issued the permit on the spot.

Team Run 'N Gunners

πKa

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
88 registered (THEdonkey0515, Southpaw, fredfred, Mag, Cumberlandriver, hoyt20, 6 invisible) and 160 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
98997 Topics
1163700 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.086 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.