Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3287533 - 07/10/13 01:15 PM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: scn]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Great! I need to start goose huntin now for sure!

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3287564 - 07/10/13 01:44 PM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: MUP]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

I know that testing probably aint cheap but I would've liked to see them tested and then killed with the meat going somewhere that will help people out. I would think that there would be volunteer students or someone who would be willing to help butcher the geese and then donate it to the Chattanooga food shelter.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3287594 - 07/10/13 02:13 PM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: DirtyBear0311]
WGK
WILD BILL
12 Point

Loc: loudon

content Online
It does seem like a waste. Seems like something could have been done with the meat. Scn,I killed a limit in the early season one year then I had to tote those things about 400 yards back to the truck. Wore my butt out.

#3287674 - 07/10/13 03:49 PM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: WGK]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

You guys are doing nothing but supporting the anti agenda.
They (usda) do what they can to relocate them, but the problem with taking the geese to a public lake is you are basically giving a homeowner someone else's problem. Another problem with it is that many will return to the same location they were removed from. Go to a place with high concentrations of geese. Check the e-coli levels in the water and then do your complaining. Resident Canada geese are nothing more than flying rats.

They band a lot of geese, every goose relocated is banded. I have saw some banded up to 4 times. That means they have returned for AT LEAST 4 times to the location they are removed from. I'd be willing to bet good money that the majority of banded resident geese you see are banded by the USDA.
They are a nuisance, plain and simple..If you don't like it, I beg anyone to please give a suggestion to them on how exactly it should be done. Yeah, the food shelter idea seems good in theory, but just how exactly do you propose that be paid for??? Are you going to make the donation?? Keep in mind, the meat will have to be USDA inspected and done in a processing facility, so add that cost to your donation. The sequester has money very tight and it was'nt easy to come by before it.
I urge anyone that is upset about this to think for a minute. The logistics behind a goose round-up is complicated at best. Its not as simple as you think it is. And regardless of what everyone thinks, many, many geese are relocated. You realize y'all are siding with the same kind of people who harass hunters, sabotage hunter vehicles, bang pots and pans in the woods, try to take away our rights as hunters and throw every ounce of common sense out the window when it comes to a critter. Great job guys.....jeezus people!!!!

Edited by rukiddin? (07/10/13 03:52 PM)

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3287682 - 07/10/13 03:59 PM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: rukiddin?]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: rukiddin?
They (usda) do what they can to relocate them, but the problem with taking the geese to a public lake is you are basically giving a homeowner someone else's problem. Another problem with it is that many will return to the same location they were removed from. Go to a place with high concentrations of geese. Check the e-coli levels in the water and then do your complaining. Resident Canada geese are nothing more than flying rats.

They band a lot of geese, every goose relocated is banded. I have saw some banded up to 4 times. That means they have returned for AT LEAST 4 times to the location they are removed from. I'd be willing to bet good money that the majority of banded resident geese you see are banded by the USDA.
They are a nuisance, plain and simple..If you don't like it, I beg anyone to please give a suggestion to them on how exactly it should be done. Yeah, the food shelter idea seems good in theory, but just how exactly do you propose that be paid for??? Are you going to make the donation?? Keep in mind, the meat will have to be USDA inspected and done in a processing facility, so add that cost to your donation. The sequester has money very tight and it was'nt easy to come by before it.
I urge anyone that is upset about this to think for a minute. The logistics behind a goose round-up is complicated at best. Its not as simple as you think it is. And regardless of what everyone thinks, many, many geese are relocated. You realize y'all are siding with the same kind of people who harass hunters, sabotage hunter vehicles, bang pots and pans in the woods, try to take away our rights as hunters and throw every ounce of common sense out the window when it comes to a critter. Great job guys.....jeezus people!!!!

Not sure I know how your post should be taken.... but in reference to the last part.... I'm more upset that hunters weren't given the chance to cure the problem.... even if it was under whatever departments supervision.... Hunters could have taken the meat home with them... I would have donated my time.

#3287696 - 07/10/13 04:07 PM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: rukiddin?]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

content Online
I have to admit, all my experience with resident geese has been totally unsatisfactory. You can't even "make" them move away from where you are because they are protected. And the mess is horrendous. There is a saying, "like S#!7 through a goose" and if you have a resident flock around you, you know exactly what I mean.

Now, for a fact, they decoy easy. I have stood in my driveway with my call and had them come barrelling up the street looking for their buddy. I love goose hunting and have LOTS of decoys so anyone has a problem, think of me come septemeber.

And BTW, cooking them is not so easy. I have made some shoe leather out of goose breast, its really easy to overcook.

The resident limit should be at least twice what it is now.

#3287705 - 07/10/13 04:16 PM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
 Originally Posted By: rukiddin?

Not sure I know how your post should be taken.... but in reference to the last part.... I'm more upset that hunters weren't given the chance to cure the problem.... even if it was under whatever departments supervision.... Hunters could have taken the meat home with them... I would have donated my time.

Don't get me wrong, I think hunters should have the opportunity also. Not only would it benefit hunters, but it would save the gov't a lot of money too. But......sometimes hunting is just not a feasible alternative. Many of these geese will never leave the business park/comm college they are born in, much less the city limits. In a situation like this, everyone knows how vocal the opposed parties involved can be (this thead for example). There are also many homeowners who hate them and do not want them and want the geese gone. Regardless of how its done, and like it or not, the liberal media does not cater to them, they cater to the bleeding heart, and although those on this site may not be liberals, they are siding with them on an issue that the media could use to interfere with modern day, urban wildlife management. Its easy for all of us to say this is wrong, IF we have never had a large flock of geese on our property causing problems.

Edited by rukiddin? (07/10/13 04:18 PM)

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3287717 - 07/10/13 04:31 PM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: DaveB]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: DaveB
I have to admit, all my experience with resident geese has been totally unsatisfactory. You can't even "make" them move away from where you are because they are protected. And the mess is horrendous. There is a saying, "like S#!7 through a goose" and if you have a resident flock around you, you know exactly what I mean.

Now, for a fact, they decoy easy. I have stood in my driveway with my call and had them come barrelling up the street looking for their buddy. I love goose hunting and have LOTS of decoys so anyone has a problem, think of me come septemeber.

And BTW, cooking them is not so easy. I have made some shoe leather out of goose breast, its really easy to overcook.

The resident limit should be at least twice what it is now.

I make burgers out of Geese and they are excellent. We got a bunch last year and had a Goose burger cookout.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3287741 - 07/10/13 04:53 PM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: Poser]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

content Online
Poser, post up a thread in cooking would ya? I'm fairly competent but I have never been successful with goose. A few recipes that actually work would be appreciated.
#3287748 - 07/10/13 05:00 PM Re: Geese Gathered from Chattanooga State Killed! [Re: DaveB]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

I'd rather eat a coyote than a goose any day...

Good Riddance

How much sport in hunting resident geese?

They did the right thing...

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
114 registered (gardner, iowavf, rastubbs, gobblegrunt, alwaysoutdoors, mossyhorns300, 11 invisible) and 177 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96041 Topics
1124543 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.075 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.