Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3286516 - 07/09/13 12:12 PM Early Season Question
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Okay, question for everyone. My lease has me really wondering what to do.

Here's my question, I'm seeing quite a few does, I estimate between 10-15 different does. But have not seen any bucks on camera and really don't see alot of buck sign. Do you kill a doe early or leave them alone in hopes they bring in a buck?

In the past I've always killed a doe early for meat, but this was also in Wisconsin where I have had as many as 60 deer walk under me opening day, so 1 doe out of the mix was not as much of a factor as possibly killing off 10% of them.

What do you all think?

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3286520 - 07/09/13 12:20 PM Re: Early Season Question [Re: Redfred16]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

The bucks homeranges may shift entirely by the time the season opens. You might all of a sudden have bucks showing up. Killing a doe or two out of a herd of ~15 shouldn't effect much at all, though, depending on the size of your property, you might be careful how you apply pressure during bow season. We have a considerably longer time until rutting activity kicks in then what you are used to in WI. I usually reserve different areas or even entirely different properties for pre rut and rut hunting. Slamming a 100 acre lease with pressure for 6+ weeks will definitely have a long term, effect on the deer.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3286553 - 07/09/13 12:59 PM Re: Early Season Question [Re: Poser]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Killing a doe shouldn't do you any harm. Dont be surprised though if in September you start seeing more bucks and less does showing up.
#3286555 - 07/09/13 01:02 PM Re: Early Season Question [Re: Bayou Buck]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Everything Poser said.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3286557 - 07/09/13 01:02 PM Re: Early Season Question [Re: BSK]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Doe sink....the bucks will come. ;\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3286653 - 07/09/13 03:11 PM Re: Early Season Question [Re: MUP]
Redfred16
8 Point

It's 55 acres.

It has about 25 acres of corn planted on it that had me very exxcited, but it's already getting good sized ears and tassled. So I don't think it'll be around when I thought it would be.

However I did find a spot with 5 bid old oaks with a few beech trees near by that I think will draw them in good as a fall food source.

I just remember a few years ago I decided I could shoot a doe any time and to let them walk in hopes of seeing a nice chasing buck(in WI we are used to a rutting Halloween), didn't see a buck and in the end, didn't see a deer from the first week of November on. Lots of tracks in the snow, lots of shooting around me, but no deer during shooting hours.

"Recon Ready"

#3286663 - 07/09/13 03:28 PM Re: Early Season Question [Re: Redfred16]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

55 acres, honestly, I'd go light until early November. Maybe kill a doe right out of the gate and then bowhunt some public land until November. This of course depends on how much you hunt, but definitely if you plan on hunting several days a week.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3286674 - 07/09/13 03:37 PM Re: Early Season Question [Re: Poser]
Redfred16
8 Point

I would say opening weekend, then probably one weekend day every week or so, skipping a weekend if the weather isn't good or if the wife has plans for us. Then going to both Saturday and Sunday in late Ocotber early November. Then swithing to a rifle right before Christmas.

That was my plan, but even with a TN season under my belt, I'm still in he process of changing my thought patterns from Wisconsin.

"Recon Ready"

#3286951 - 07/09/13 08:59 PM Re: Early Season Question [Re: Redfred16]
thejetman
6 Point

Loc: Knox

It has been a hard transition for me to realign my thought proceess as well. I moved from Wisconsin to join the Army and ended up here. It has been kindof a struggle for me to put all the pieces together to even see deer here. I grew up hunting public land back home. Its just the public land is either mountain rocky stuff here, or just plain overgrown thick nastyness. So from beans and corn and wonderfully managed public land up north to non cut fields and rock face cliffs has been an eye opener for sure.

#3286989 - 07/09/13 09:40 PM Re: Early Season Question [Re: thejetman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

In my bow hunting spot, I only see does and occasional yearling bucks except during the rut. I killed 3 doe in the same spot before I even saw the first buck last year. There were still plenty of does and the bucks came in early November looking for tail. I wouldn't worry about killing one or two early season, but everyone has their own opinion.

#3287095 - 07/10/13 05:19 AM Re: Early Season Question [Re: thejetman]
Redfred16
8 Point

Originally Posted By: thejetman
It has been a hard transition for me to realign my thought proceess as well. I moved from Wisconsin to join the Army and ended up here. It has been kindof a struggle for me to put all the pieces together to even see deer here. I grew up hunting public land back home. Its just the public land is either mountain rocky stuff here, or just plain overgrown thick nastyness. So from beans and corn and wonderfully managed public land up north to non cut fields and rock face cliffs has been an eye opener for sure.

The hunting is definately different, but I'm slowly learning, still have questions all the time though. I am seeing deer fairly regularly now, but not the numbers or age/sex mix I'm used to. Picking a spot here makes you really hunt hard compared to WI, just find the trail from food-bedding-water, and the trails were beat to the ground and used year after year.

I must not have hunted the same public land as you in WI, down in the SE part of the state it was crowded and lacked deer due to the pressure. I was luck enougn to have a friend that owned some land up near Crivitz, so thats where we hunted.

"Recon Ready"

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (elkman, zippy, dh1984, JAY B, Vermin93, TNDeerGuy, 1 invisible) and 91 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85051 Topics
1027656 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.335 seconds in which 0.053 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.