#3285949 - 07/08/13 07:34 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
 Originally Posted By: Vermin93
 Originally Posted By: Poser
Competition BBQ holds little water with me. I've had a ton of it and most of it is bad. If you want good BBQ, a BBQ competition is, for the most part, not the place to look.

I'm not arguing with you because I've never been to a professional BBQ competition, but this just seems hard to believe. Wouldn't one expect some of the best BBQ to be at a BBQ competition? Even if it's not the best, I think it's logical to think that most of it would at least be good. I would like to think that I would really like it. Seriously - how can you mess up slow cooked meat to the point where it's bad? Plus, they are often using very high quality meat like wagyu beef brisket. It's got to be almost impossible to make it where I wouldn't like it.

No, the Memphis BBQ circuit favors meats that use too much sugar and/or fruit juice, and it's usually injected. The best food at MiM BBQ Fest are generally cooking in the tents Thursday and Friday. The winning competition stuff just isn't that good. Furthermore, taste is only part of the overall score. Presentation is also key.

Hopefully, this whole injecting meat thing is just a trend that will soon go away.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3286080 - 07/08/13 09:40 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
 Originally Posted By: Vermin93
Competition BBQ holds little water with me. I've had a ton of it and most of it is bad. If you want good BBQ, a BBQ competition is, for the most part, not the place to look.

I'm not arguing with you because I've never been to a professional BBQ competition, but this just seems hard to believe. Wouldn't one expect some of the best BBQ to be at a BBQ competition? Even if it's not the best, I think it's logical to think that most of it would at least be good. I would like to think that I would really like it. Seriously - how can you mess up slow cooked meat to the point where it's bad? Plus, they are often using very high quality meat like wagyu beef brisket. It's got to be almost impossible to make it where I wouldn't like it.

No, the Memphis BBQ circuit favors meats that use too much sugar and/or fruit juice, and it's usually injected. The best food at MiM BBQ Fest are generally cooking in the tents Thursday and Friday. The winning competition stuff just isn't that good. Furthermore, taste is only part of the overall score. Presentation is also key.

Hopefully, this whole injecting meat thing is just a trend that will soon go away.

In the shoulder competition, there's not enough time to brine the meat, which is what everyone seems to think wins the shoulder division. So they bust out the horse needles.

#3286081 - 07/08/13 09:41 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: TAFKAP]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Our team's competition meat tasted like it had been soaked in apple juice.

#3286125 - 07/08/13 10:10 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: TAFKAP]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
You guys are making me hungry with your descriptions of this bad pork BBQ. I would love to try some!

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
23 registered (Tony USMC, Sendero300RUM, Rubberduck270, lung-buster, gobblegrunt, reloadxx, 1 invisible) and 84 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89172 Topics
1042824 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.26 seconds in which 0.013 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.