Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3285345 - 07/08/13 06:58 AM Re: Off Season Hyptothetical Question [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
B. Not hunt deer at all. I've done all day sits for up to a week at a time and it really starts to suck. Having to move around stands in the dark, eating supper at 10:30 at night, back up again at 5 to pack a lunch and head out. Nope, not for me.

Instead, I would join redblood and spend my days squirrel hunting, shooting coyotes, heading to the diner for lunch.

I'm curious as to who all has done all days sits for a contiuous week or more.

I've done all day sits for 4 or 5 days straight before and it was freakin' brutal. I was a zombie by the 3rd day. I think most people would lose their mind by mid -October. In the early season, you're looking at 15+ sits everyday. Throw in some consecutive 90 degree days and ~5 hours or less of sleep each night and I think most people would crack inside of a month.

If I had a choice in hunting styles, I think I could do this feat in a Western, spot and stalk style. Sitting in a treestand for 100 days, though, would be excruciatingly difficult.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3285356 - 07/08/13 07:27 AM Re: Off Season Hyptothetical Question [Re: Poser]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

B. I've done PLENTY of all day sits (in a climber out in the weather) during prime time rut conditions in my area and they are not always what they are cracked up to be. For the ones who replied HUNT at all cost, I'd like for you to do just 2 weeks of all days sits (preferably early or late season) and then reply again. \:\) I can PROMISE everyone here the poll results would be different. Better yet, keep the tally results from this question Poser and ask the exact same question on January 10th and compare the results. Bet they will be a little different too. The anticipation of deer season and the accompanying emotions (basically the time of year the question is asked) will have a direct impact on the answers to this question and thus the final tally/results. I would like to see someone sit in a stand all day for 99 straight days.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3285359 - 07/08/13 07:31 AM Re: Off Season Hyptothetical Question [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
I'm curious as to who all has done all days sits for a contiuous week or more.
Best run I've ever done was 5 straight days (few years back) and I was sick of deer hunting after the 5th day. I took a full day break to recharge my batteries and regain some of my drive to be out there and then hit it hard again (not all day sits), just hunting daylight to 11, then 2 to 5 or so the remaining days I was off work.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3285404 - 07/08/13 08:32 AM Re: Off Season Hyptothetical Question [Re: Andy S.]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

I'm usually good until about the third day. Then it's just as Poser says, I turn into a zombie, I'm either in a treestand, or sleeping. No more socializing with the hunting buddies. No more taking the wife out. No more church, I've never seen one with a 4:30 am hunter's service. In my out of state hunts now, I usually plan on making all day sits for no more than 2 days at a stretch and can usually get in several 2 day sits in a week.

Western hunting is different. I've done 10 days straight of morning till evening and could have done more had the season not run out. Just being able to move around makes a huge difference. As well as the fact that the terrain is alot more open and I'm not confined to just seeing the 40 yard circle around me.

#3285411 - 07/08/13 08:44 AM Re: Off Season Hyptothetical Question [Re: Buzzard Breath]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

In 2011 I was out of work during deer season. I had a lot more time to spend in the woods. I wasn't even sitting all day when I started to get burned out.
#3285435 - 07/08/13 08:59 AM Re: Off Season Hyptothetical Question [Re: UTGrad]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Unquestionably, NOT hunt. I'm not doing one all-day sit, let alone 90+ in a row. I hunt because it is fun. Force me to sit more than 4 hours straight and it stops being fun real quick.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3285444 - 07/08/13 09:06 AM Re: Off Season Hyptothetical Question [Re: Andy S.]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
For the ones who replied HUNT at all cost, I'd like for you to do just 2 weeks of all days sits (preferably early or late season) and then reply again. \:\) I can PROMISE everyone here the poll results would be different.

That's like all the hunters who think "hunting for a living" would be truly awesome. At least they think that until they try it!

I've worked a couple of cull projects, where it was out job to remove a huge number of deer from large properties (thousands of acres). And not only kill a bunch of deer, but then take detailed biological data from each deer killed, and then process the deer to the point of being usable by food pantries and soup kitchens. Hunting every morning and every evening, and then spending almost every mid-day and late night dissecting, measuring, and processing dozens of deer per day, turned out to be one of the worst jobs imaginable. Working just a project or two made me HATE hunting real fast. I hope to NEVER work another one. And I observed no one involved in the projects, no matter how "eat up" with deer hunting they were, enjoy the process beyond about 3 straight days of blood, guts, and no sleep.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3285450 - 07/08/13 09:09 AM Re: Off Season Hyptothetical Question [Re: BSK]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Not hunt. Want to keep my wife and kids. Also, showing my son that Sunday school and church are more important than anything else he could be doing at that time.
#3285452 - 07/08/13 09:11 AM Re: Off Season Hyptothetical Question [Re: jb3]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Originally Posted By: jb3
showing my son that Sunday school and church are more important than anything else he could be doing at that time.

Absolutely. I'm reading Romans right now. The Gospel is the most important thing.

#3285488 - 07/08/13 09:38 AM Re: Off Season Hyptothetical Question [Re: UTGrad]
BAMA BOW MERKER
4 Point

Loc: Dyer County, TN

I hunted 11 straight days in Kentucky October 2010. I had a 200 in freak of a buck on camera. I saw him once on the 2nd day, that was enough to motivate me till the 11th day. After that 11th day, I was as miserable, tired, sick, tired, frustrated, tired, and tired as I've ever been. An entire season of all day sits would be a huge decision, but I'd have to at least try it once. And that deer broke off his right main beam, and was shot out of season by a world beater of a deer hunter to say the least.

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (deerhunter10, Master Chief, Roost 1, B&C chaser, TRIGGER, pastorbmp, 1 invisible) and 96 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85655 Topics
1035060 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.255 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.